Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
New iPad Air and mini
- TouchID
- Curved edge ion strengthened glass

New iPad Pro 12"
- RFID reader, Apple Pay processor for small businesses. Or probably just let soneobe make a Lightning attachment.

New AppleTV?

New Macs?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
My predictions

Predictions will finalize 5 days before the event or 24 hours after the invitations come out, whichever is earlier. Afterwards I will make a new prediction post.

I will decide on Scenario 1 or Scenario 2 closer to the rumored announcement of the iPad Air 2.

iPad Air scenario 1:
  • 9.7" 2048x1536 display
  • Ion-X glass
  • A8* SoC, with the CPU clocked slightly higher than any A8 in the iPhone 6/6+ and iPad mini (see below)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 16/64/128 GB storage options
  • Touch ID
  • Same prices as the current iPad Air
  • The 16 GB A7 iPad Air will replace the current A6X iPad
iPad Air scenario 2:
  • 9.7" 2048x1536 display
  • Ion-X glass
  • A8* SoC, with the CPU clocked slightly higher than any A8 in the iPhone 6/6+ and iPad mini (see below)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Touch ID
  • Same prices as the current iPad Air
  • The current A6X iPad will remain for now
iPad mini scenario 1:
  • 7.9" 2048x1536 display
  • Ion-X glass
  • A8 SoC, clocked the same as the A8 in the iPhone 6
  • 1 GB RAM, 2 GB if split-screen multitasking for iOS is introduced
  • Touch ID
  • Same prices as the current iPad mini
  • The 16 GB A7 iPad mini will replace the A5 iPad mini
iPad mini scenario 2:
  • No iPad mini update in 2014, except for possible price reductions and/or elimination of models (like the 32 GB)
Retina iMac:
  • 27" Retina iMac with a 5120x2880 panel resolution
  • Haswell refresh CPUs
  • The Retina iMac will have AMD graphics with a custom part name (like the Mac Pro's Dx00's)
Other:
  • The other iMacs, except the cheapest one, will get small updates with Haswell refresh CPUs
  • Mac mini update with Haswell
  • Yosemite release on the day of the event
  • iLife and iWork (desktop) updates
  • iWork for iCloud goes out of beta

* I also predict that an iPad "Pro" will have an A8X** if an iPad Pro exists and is released before Q3 2015. However, commander.data at Beyond3D pointed out to me that an iPad Pro probably won't sell in large enough numbers to warrant a separate chip. So I think that if an iPad Pro exists and gets an A8X, then some iPad Air will also get an A8X, probably not the 2014 one, but maybe an update in 2015 H1. Of course, this A8X may be different from an A8X for the iPad Pro in the case that only the Pro gets an A8X. [Explanation: Compared to an A8X for only the Pro, an A8X for the Air and Pro has to deal with the most likely lower power requirements for the iPad Air, and so part of its design could take that into account.]

** Here I use "A8X" to refer to any chip with the same CPU microarchitecture and GPU family as the A8 but with more CPU or GPU cores, even if the resulting chip is not actually called the A8X when announced. I expect all A8 variants in iDevices to have 2 CPU cores though.

Last edited:

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I suspect the iPad Air 2 will have a 1.8 GHz A8 processor and 2G of ram. Touch ID, upgraded front and rear camera, thinner and lighter, and longer Battery life.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Honestly, I feel like the mini won't be updated.

When the Air was introduced it fixed the iPads main problem, that you couldn't hold it in one hand easily. That was honestly the main advantage the mini had. Find it hard to believe there are many situations where the mini is small enough to fix any "oh the iPad is too big problem." (They're both sizable). Not to mention theres now a massive iPhone.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
I suspect the iPad Air 2 will have a 1.8 GHz A8 processor and 2G of ram. Touch ID, upgraded front and rear camera, thinner and lighter, and longer Battery life.

i rather have apple take away the ipad camera n use the space for something else. it's just too weird to take pics with my iPad Air

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Camera is needed for some apps to function, it will remain. They tried taking away the back camera on the touch which was a huge, huge mistake. I don't think we will see that happen again.

Hopefully the Mac mini gets updated and keeps the user upgrade able ram, I am waiting for it.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Last year they (mini&air) were both introduced in November.. I skipped those versions and I need a Mini now.. Hopefully it will come in October at least..

Edit: Nevermind, it was introduced in October but released in November..

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
i rather have apple take away the ipad camera n use the space for something else. it's just too weird to take pics with my iPad Air
I use the camera on my iPad for use with "scanner" applications. I mostly use it at work for quickly getting a paper document into digital form, but I've occasionally used it at home for the same purpose, too.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
New iPad Air and mini
- TouchID
- Curved edge ion strengthened glass

New iPad Pro 12"
- RFID reader, Apple Pay processor for small businesses. Or probably just let soneobe make a Lightning attachment.

New AppleTV?

New Macs?

No iPad rMini 2 or iPad Pro 12". Both next year.
OS X.X

128Gig iPod touch. :D

I would love a 256Gig one!!!!!!!!!

The discontinuation of the Classic makes it more likely we will see a 128GB Touch. I can't see just a storage bump so maybe we will see the Touch 6 in October.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
We are confident the next iPad will be release by late October, right? No reason to think otherwise?
Confident it will be announced by late October, but if I remember correctly the actual releases span anywhere from late October to mid-November.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Confident it will be announced by late October, but if I remember correctly the actual releases span anywhere from late October to mid-November.

With a large screen iPhone 6 Plus, much lower sales this year on the rMini vs the Air, and lack of any rMini 2 leaks (lots of Air 2 leaks), I don't think they will announce / upgrade the rMini this year. Similar to the Touch vs iPhone, Apple most likely wants to keep the rMini hardware one generation behind the iPhone 6 Plus.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
They'll make an announcement after the iPhone 6 hubris dies down. Probably either Oct. 7th or 14th and the actual release will follow at the end of the month. I would expect the both iPad models to get updated. Apple isn't going to let the rMini wither on the vine over the Holiday season.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apples shot their wad, nothing left to show unless they dust off iPads adding some minor changes.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
They might just update the existing iPads to include TouchID without having a keynote event to announce it.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
They might just update the existing iPads to include TouchID without having a keynote event to announce it.

Also new procs, bonded screens with new anti-glare coating, split screen mode on the iPad Air, thinner profile, new color option, maybe NFC, and more. They'll string this out into a 'big' update. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.