Oculus

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There's a whole area for AR/VR type headsets (and various related devices) here:

It says "Apple" in the title, but it's discussion about all sorts of non-Apple gear too (Oculus, Vive, etc.)

FWIW, I did a bunch of work in the VR (and then AR) space out in the Valley for about a year, pretty fun, one of my company's products got us in to see all sorts of folks in the movie industry. :cool:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, I have one, think it has impressive capabilities, in some cases it can knock your socks off as a unique experience, but honestly have set it aside for gaming on my 4k monitor. As mentioned VR talk has mostly migrated over to the VR forum mentioned, but can also be found in the Game Forum.

Reactions: jkcerda

benshive

macrumors demi-god
Feb 26, 2017
United States
just picked up the Quest, by all mean suggest. Creed showed just how out of shape I am :(
I would definitely recommend checking out Beat Saber. On the higher difficulties the game can be quite a workout but it's really fun. Also check out the Vader Immortal games. Who hasn't wanted to swing around a lightsaber in VR? :p

Reactions: jkcerda

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We just got a set of five at school. Time for me to do some research on what to do with them, and how.
At my daughters school, one of their STEAM projects was designing small/efficient homes, so they did them in some 3D modeling software, then you could do some VR viz based on those models to do a virtual walk through. It was tied into the science / computer classes, as well as design/art (that's the A in STEAM :) )

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We just got a set of five at school. Time for me to do some research on what to do with them, and how.
You probably would not be buying this title for school or know what kind of capability your school’s hardware has offhand, but the single most impressive VR title I’ve played is Lone Echo, where you are a robot, helping your Captain survive an event at a distant outpost, an advanced mining facility in the rings of Saturn.

The difference between seeing this on a monitor versus being in the environment though VR is a transformative experience. I mean you are in it, surrounded by it, in large spaces you can manipulate it with your hands.

Ingeniously, in this simulation, you move through space with wrist thrusters or objects, lever, handles, with your virtual hands. the game can be played sitting down in a relatively small space like a desk. The thing is for this kind of application, besides the headset, you’ll need 2 or 3 sensors placed around you that keeps track of your hands.

Just for the exposure and experience of what is possible, this is well worth it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AlliFlowers

benshive

macrumors demi-god
Feb 26, 2017
United States
You probably would not be buying this title for school or know what kind of capability your school’s hardware has offhand, but the single most impressive VR title I’ve played is Lone Echo, where you are a robot, helping your Captain survive an event at a distant outpost, an advanced mining facility at the rings of Saturn.

The difference between seeing this on a monitor versus being in the environment though VR is a transformative experience. I mean you are in it, surrounded by it, in large spaces you can manipulate it with your hands.

Ingeniously, in this simulation, you move through space with wrist thrusters or objects, lever, handles, with your virtual hands. the game can be played sitting down in a relatively small space like a desk. The thing is for this kind of application, besides the headset, you’ll need 2 or 3 sensors placed around you that keeps track of your hands.

Just for the exposure and experience of what is possible, this is well worth it.

This is my favorite VR game. It's absolutely beautiful if you have the hardware to push it with everything at max. The best looking VR game I think I've seen and a ton of fun to play. I didn't recommend it because I don't believe it's available for the Oculus Quest.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
You probably would not be buying this title for school or know what kind of capability your school’s hardware has offhand, but the single most impressive VR title I’ve played is Lone Echo, where you are a robot, helping your Captain survive an event at a distant outpost, an advanced mining facility at the rings of Saturn.

where do you get the extra sensors?

benshive

macrumors demi-god
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I don't believe you can get them for the Quest. And with the Rift S you don't need the external sensors either. Everything is tracked internally. Only the original Rift uses them. Sadly Lone Echo isn't available for the headset that you bought. On the game's page in the Oculus store it lists which headsets are compatible.

Reactions: Huntn and jkcerda

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't believe you can get them for the Quest. And with the Rift S you don't need the external sensors either. Everything is tracked internally. Only the original Rift uses them. Sadly Lone Echo isn't available for the headset that you bought. On the game's page in the Oculus store it lists which headsets are compatible.
I did not realize there was this jump in technology already. Have not been keeping close tabs on it. 😔 What I want to see is a jump up in resolution, before I buy again.
For the original Rift, if they were not included in the kit, you bought them from the manufacturer. I found 3 were best, but it seems they no longer are needed on the newer units. I did not realize you had already purchased a unit, sorry to get your hopes up. :(

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
At my daughters school, one of their STEAM projects was designing small/efficient homes, so they did them in some 3D modeling software, then you could do some VR viz based on those models to do a virtual walk through. It was tied into the science / computer classes, as well as design/art (that's the A in STEAM :) )
That's the kind of thing we do now using desktop modeling software. We should be able to do so much more with the headsets! But I'm going too have to Doo some kind of pullout session for the advanced students.

You probably would not be buying this title for school or know what kind of capability your school’s hardware has offhand, but the single most impressive VR title I’ve played is Lone Echo, where you are a robot, helping your Captain survive an event at a distant outpost, an advanced mining facility in the rings of Saturn.

No sensors, but I'm willing to give it a try on my own devices with one of the school's headsets!

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's the kind of thing we do now using desktop modeling software. We should be able to do so much more with the headsets! But I'm going too have to Doo some kind of pullout session for the advanced students.

No sensors, but I'm willing to give it a try on my own devices with one of the school's headsets!
What brand of devices are they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.