Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I just ordered an Agility 3 120gb SSD drive for my Mac Pro 2006. It was a door crasher sale so I jumped on it but after purchasing I found lots of reports of Agility 3 drives "disappearing" and BSOD. It seems much of this may be related to the SATA3 interface but obviously the Mac will be running SATA2.

So has anyone got an Agility 3 installed in their Mac Pro? Any issues?

Secondly, I am replacing a Patriot Inferno 60gb with this new SSD. I was planning on just using Superduper to image my inferno and write that to the Agility. This is the fastest migration approach but are there any issues doing it this way? I could also consider a fresh snow leopard install plus my time machine as an alternative.

Thoughts?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Not sure about the firmware in Agility but you should have no problems imaging with Superduper and Disk Utility. Do it almost everyday. Stopped imaging with much else.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Not sure about the firmware in Agility but you should have no problems imaging with Superduper and Disk Utility. Do it almost everyday. Stopped imaging with much else.

Thanks. Yup I love Superduper. When I made the initial switch from a WD Black to the Inferno SSD (sandforce based) I first tried just restoring the disk image but I remember having some stability issues. So I did a complete fresh install of SL and reinstalled all apps. That seemed to fix it but this time around I am just going from one SSD to another so I am hopeful this works smoothly.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Thanks. Yup I love Superduper. When I made the initial switch from a WD Black to the Inferno SSD (sandforce based) I first tried just restoring the disk image but I remember having some stability issues. So I did a complete fresh install of SL and reinstalled all apps. That seemed to fix it but this time around I am just going from one SSD to another so I am hopeful this works smoothly.

Stability issues writing to a ssd is not a good sign.. You should be able to image between any drives without issue. How has the SSD worked out for you stability wise?

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Stability issues writing to a ssd is not a good sign.. You should be able to image between any drives without issue. How has the SSD worked out for you stability wise?

The patriot inferno has been great other than the first attempt to just image it. I am just running out of space at 48gb used out of 60gb. So the new agility 3 120gb should solve that. I will try with a clone first and see how it goes.

I did have some stability issues a couple of weeks back. Turned out one of my ram modules was getting errors because it was running too hot (not the official apple heat sinks. Also the thermal interface material very poorly applied. Put some MX2 and then I used some thermal epoxy to attach some additional heat sinks over the flat metal heat spreaders and that did the trick. runs much cooler and very stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.