Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
WOW I just got my Vertex 2 last Friday and while the whole system feels TONS snappier, I noticed the benchmarks weren't even close to "standard" though…

[benchmarks]

Any ideas? Should I return the drive? What should I do? :\

Go into your "About this Mac" and click on the Serial ATA sidebar. If I remember correctly, the Penryn MBP only has SATA 1.5, so it's limited to 150 MB/s transfer rate. Newer MBP's have SATA 3.0, which can go up to 300 MB/s.

I've got an SSD in my SATA 1.5 macbook, and even though it limits my speeds, it still feels worth it.

levifig

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ames, IA
Go into your "About this Mac" and click on the Serial ATA sidebar. If I remember correctly, the Penryn MBP only has SATA 1.5, so it's limited to 150 MB/s transfer rate. Newer MBP's have SATA 3.0, which can go up to 300 MB/s.

I've got an SSD in my SATA 1.5 macbook, and even though it limits my speeds, it still feels worth it.

Spot on! That's exactly the "problem"… Oh well, update should be coming soon as new Macbook Pros get released and this drive is coming with me! ;)

And yes: TOTALLY worth it!! Not just raw transfer speed… Everything is SOO MUCH SNAPPIER! It feels like a Mac Pro now! ;)

SSDs are totally and finally making laptops actually be true desktop replacement for power users… :)

Again, thank you for your input!

Raketen

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
hi i was wondering if you would recommend the intel gen2 160gb, over the Ocz Vertex 180Gb

btw. sata1 is 150Mbs and sata2 is 300mbs and sata3 is 600mbs;)

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010

thanks this is my problem is well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.