Odd (and irratating) glitch in new iPad Spotlight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CHunger, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CHunger macrumors newbie

When I go to Spotlight on my new iPad (3) and type in the name of an app... sometimes absolutely nothing happens. The letters appear in the search field, but the page remains totally black- no suggestions at all.

This happens only intermittently, and nothing short of a complete power recycle fixes it...but then it will do it again, say every 5 or 6 searches.

Any thoughts? Anyone else?

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Mine has been fine but that happned on my iPhone 4. It sorted itself out in the end though.

3. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Maybe 1 or 2 letter gives too many results so it doesn't show any?

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I would think that if there is an issue, it is with iOS 5.1, not the iPad iteslf...;)

5. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Try unchecking Mail as a spotlight item under Settings>Gen>Spotlight Search. The index often gets "corrupted" when there are too many emails to index and that is why a restart fixes it as it gets rebuilt upon reboot. Give that a try.

PS. You can still search mail you just have to do it from within the Email app.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I've never used spotlight, I've seen it there but it's been 2 years and I still don't know what it does.

7. CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhh...bless your heart, dhy8386: that is such a beautiful and insightful explanation -and cleanly explained...

....lord, it must be nice to have a brain.

(if it doesn't work, you will hear the screaming :) )

(and to the guy who never has used Spotlight- how do you find your way among over two hundred apps? Do you have their positions memorized?

8. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I rarely use it either. I usually organize the apps based on what they do or usefulness. I access them that way. Navigate to the page they are stored on and then the folder they are in. Takes like 3 seconds. Just saying. To each their own. Whatever works best for you.

9. CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe...I have not done enough searches to verify that it is working and all fixed....BUT it is SOOO much faster after unchecking a lot of crap that I didn't need searched anyway- totally wonderful.

So thanks again, dhy8386!

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I use spotlight on my Mac all the time but I don't think I've ever used it once on iOS in my 2+ years of iPhone and/or iPad ownership...

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Same here. I actually replaced it with a browser widget (jailbreak)

Attached Files:

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Spotlight is the biggest waste of iPad/iPhone/iPod real estate ever.

13. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I like that. I need to get into this whole jail-braking thing. And I am a purist!

14. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

My 4S was the first device I ever jailbroke and I can't imagine going back now!

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's not really a waste though since it's on the left