Odd behavior upon wake

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by number9, Oct 30, 2008.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

Ok the patient here is a new 2.0 Ghz Macbook. I just woke it up- or tried to. the sleep light was on solid, not pulsing with as it does when sleeping. It didn't respond to key presses of track pad presses. It did power back on after pressing and holding the power key. The desktop was greyed out and a metered progress bar came up and it slowly booted bakc up then resumed as normal. Is this that deep sleep mode, or is this something else?

2. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I'm having a similar problem. Only seems to happen when I wake it from lid-closed sleep, and also seems it might be related to the password-protection feature. i disabled password protection in System Prefs and waking it up seems to work now.

I know what you mean about the LED light--same thing here.

Also--this must be related somehow--used to be when I woke it up, the SuperDrive would whirrrrr. Now, it doesn't make any noise upon awakening.

Here is the thread I started:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6533736#post6533736

3. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the part I'm curious about is that my alu Macbook when it finally did wake up, was the greyscale desktop with a metered progress bar that went slowly booted up and then everything went back to normal. I'm just wondering if that is what happens if it goes into sleep for an extended time or what. a week or so ago I also had another problem where it experienced a Kernel panic while asleep in a laptop bag, where it overheated. Some people thought it was due to being in the laptop bag, where it may have woken up, but in addition to this recent event and also a random crash and reboot over night I think there is a different problem. I ran the hardware test and nothing came up.

4. ATimson macrumors regular

"Safe sleep" is a combination of sleep and hibernation. It acts like a normal sleep (power light pulsing) but it saves the information from memory to the hard drive. That way, if the battery dies, once you have power back you can go right back to where you were.

It sounds like your MacBook froze while asleep. After you power-cycled it, it behaved like it would've if the battery had died and you recharged it: it read what was in memory off the hard drive (that's the greyscale screen with the progress bar), and let you continue from where you were.

5. ascender macrumors 68000

I'm getting this quite regularly now on my alu Macbook. Frustrating.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah it happens to me too...its the weirdest thing....sometimes i just lift the lid..and everything pops up..other times i have to hit a key...other times i need to hit trackpad..