Odd cursor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok so while on Mapquest and Facebook today, Safari was acting very slow... I even had to Force Quit it once or twice because it stalled. Also, when on Facebook, a cursor appeared that I've never seen before. To the lower right of the arrow appeared a blue ball, like the BMW logo, but instead of blue and white, dark blue and light blue. Does anyone know why this is or has anyone seen it? I tried searching, but no luck... I'm afraid it's a virus or something...

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I noticed this today as well. They probably changed it with one of the releases. Safari doesn't crash enough for me to know, however.

3. glasserp macrumors regular

Wow, how strange. I noticed this cursor thing as well while on facebook. Safari was acting normal and responsive, but that was the first and only time I have seen it.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

A note, some sites have their own cursers. I had one that had a tail of stars attached to it, and when you went to the site, your regular curser was replaced with it.

5. retroneo macrumors 6502a

i just googled facebook blue cursor and this thread came up....

i notice it when i'm at work, never at home

6. loft3 macrumors regular

I just started getting this blue ball icon today on Facebook as well. Is there a fix for it?

7. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

8. jfong425 macrumors member

i got the blue ball cursor as well. I can't click on peoples profile for facebook. its not my laptop because when I switch to firefox it works fine. I'm gonna swing by the apple store tomorrow and see what they can do.

9. jfong425 macrumors member

Fixed

I went to the apple store and the guy there told me to reset my safari. Do this by going to Safari>Reset Safari...>make sure all is checked

Then voila! fixed!

10. glasserp macrumors regular

you seriously went to the apple store for a 'cursor issue'?

11. jfong425 macrumors member

i was gonna be there regardless of the issue. plus the apple store is 10 minutes away from my house.

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

13. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Pwned.

Attached Files:

14. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Right on!

Is there ANYONE out there that can explain what that odd cursor is all about. :confused:

15. johnruizii macrumors newbie

blue ball with mouse

i had the same problem today, anyone figure out the cause, i was watching a movie online and then it happened, but it only happened when i was looking at my yahoo mail? Virus maybe? Spyware?

16. johnruizii macrumors newbie

anyone know the cause? Or even better the solution to get rid of it. It only occurs in safari in my yahoo mail.

17. johnruizii macrumors newbie

should i re-install osx to remove it? Im scared it is a virus or something of that nature.:(

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I know in Facebook it's definitely there to tell you went something is loading (for example, if you click on a link to 'comment' or 'like' something, or when you try to open Notifications or Chat before it's finished loading), it does it on both my Macs (and did it on my MBP when it was straight out of the box, so it's clearly nothing malicious). It's just the 'waiting'/'loading' cursor associated with that particular website.

What more then likely happened was you started watching the movie before everything on the webpage had loaded, which would have resulted in that cursor appearing until the page had completely finished loading. Reinstalling OS X won't do anything, it'll just happen again next time you do whatever you did - as I said above it's just the cursor associated with that website.

Plus there currently isn't any viruses for Macs.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I've seen it on Facebook, too! But nowhere else... Strange.
    It only appears sometimes though. It's not a consistent thing.

20. johnruizii macrumors newbie

thanks for the piece of mind, i was worried someone was able to see inside of my mail box or something like that. Is there any known way to stop this from happening though? Did i download this certain cursor by accident? if i did, cant i just delete the file? sorry for all the questions, i just dont like having something on my computer that i didnt put there.

21. johnruizii macrumors newbie

If it is associated with yahoo mail, why doesnt the same cursor show up when i use firefox?

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Guys, stop panicking...

This is the "wait" cursor that Apple's JAVA implementation uses in certain situations.

Go to the Dell site and do some custom computer configs... you'll see this cursor a lot.

No virus. No Safari resets. No fix required.

23. jla930 macrumors member

Absolutely right. Good call, xraydoc.

24. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

Just got this today, I can't sign into facebook :( Haha

25. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Oh my goodness people.
    IT'S NOT MALICIOUS. It's the waiting cursor telling you to stop doing so much fracking clicking while the page is trying to load.
    You didn't download anything, you can't remove it, it's not spyware or malware. It's a feature. Calm down.