Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdebuhr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Chicago area
Need some help.

my M-I-L has an iPhone 6, my F-I-L has the 6+. Both of them rarely use data on their devices, but for some odd reason my M-I-L's phone uses data while it is sitting still. my B-I-L has disabled data access since they share a plan. I don't know if it does the same thing on their wifi. She asked me about it the other day, I told her the next step is to reset the phone completely (like it was new) and NOT restore from iCloud, That is my plan.

However, she has contacts stored she does not want to lose, When I came to the iPhone I already had gmail so all my contacts are in my gmail account, I am assuming hers are not like that

So is there a way to rest an iPhone and restore contacts only? assuming she is using default storage settings for contacts. This would leave everything else fresh in hopes to fix her data issue prior to making yet another trip the Apple Store?

Apparently she has been there a couple time for other issues and has gotten the phone replaced for a different issues

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
After reset, log into iCloud. All the contacts should be there without restoring from a backup

Edit: as long as "contacts" is turned on in the iCloud settings before reset

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Need some help.

my M-I-L has an iPhone 6, my F-I-L has the 6+. Both of them rarely use data on their devices, but for some odd reason my M-I-L's phone uses data while it is sitting still. my B-I-L has disabled data access since they share a plan. I don't know if it does the same thing on their wifi. She asked me about it the other day, I told her the next step is to reset the phone completely (like it was new) and NOT restore from iCloud, That is my plan.

However, she has contacts stored she does not want to lose, When I came to the iPhone I already had gmail so all my contacts are in my gmail account, I am assuming hers are not like that

So is there a way to rest an iPhone and restore contacts only? assuming she is using default storage settings for contacts. This would leave everything else fresh in hopes to fix her data issue prior to making yet another trip the Apple Store?

Apparently she has been there a couple time for other issues and has gotten the phone replaced for a different issues

Using iCloud you can restore to a new phone while keeping contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.