Odd purchase of a new MacBook-NY 5th Ave Store

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iPhoneNYC, Feb 3, 2009.

1. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I purchased a new version of the recently updated white MacBook at Apple's 5th Ave store this weekend. I told the Apple employee that I wanted to buy the new recently updated white MacBook and he went to a computer to place the order. He typed in my name, etc then clicked "Version 2008" and said I should go pay and pick up. I said that I thought he typed the wrong version in and I wanted the updated one. He went back and went thru the order then typed the exact same "version 2008" in. Only on my third request did he finally type in "Version 2009." I felt like I was being scammed and pushed old stock. Was this a really dumb mistake on one Apple employee's part or has anyone else experienced similar switcheroos???

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

well did the computer have the latest specs or not?

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

This seems like a pretty easy one to figure out -- did you get a new MacBook or an old one?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

probably just a mistake on the employees part. Its kind of like when the year changes in early January and you are still putting the previous year on your documents by mistake. Thats my guess.

5. 226896 Guest

He isn't asking whether you think he got the newest MacBook or not, he's asking whether anyone has had a similar experience with Apple store employees acting like the one he mentioned.

In answer to the OP, I've never experienced this myself in an Apple store. Then again, I've made about two purchases from there. I'll soon be buying a new AluBook so I'll let you know how it all goes.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This...

7. indisguise macrumors member

simple mistake

he was probrably just used to typing "version 2008" into the computer

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

What he said. Some of my teachers gave us extra points if we got the date correct on one of my tests in January. Amazingly enough, almost no one got it :p

9. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Probably a mistake because last time i went to an apple store and asked about the updated macbook they guy i was talking to looked at me like I was crazy then called people from the back to look at the apple macbook page i brought up, on their website I think apple should do a better job of keeping their employees informed on things like this it gets annoying when they tell you that your wrong but they are the ones that dont know what they are talking about.

10. youssefm macrumors 6502

i've been to that store a couple of times and i totally try to avoid it at all costs! its always extremely crowded, the sales people get tired, lazy and unfocused and it just seems like chaos. I go to the west 14th st. store on 9th avenue, its the biggest out of the 3 apple stores in manhattan and its the least crowded

11. dino26 macrumors 6502

I'll just to to 14th street for mine it's closer to me

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Oh do I hate that lol. Its a real piss off when you know more about the appl products than their employees do. On second thought, Its actually kind of amusing.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

This happened to me, I corrected an Apple Employee as she thought that both the nVidia Whitebook and AluMB had 1067Mhz DDR3 RAM... She was a little embarrassed when I proved her wrong.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They shouldn't even have old models in the stores at this point...

15. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

From what I've heard and read about Apple's sales staff, it definitely looks like a scam...They're just trying to get the old stock through. Good thing you noticed though...

16. Old Wembley macrumors member

+1

17. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

This makes me feel bad for someone who is just coming off the street and doesn't really know that much.

I would really hope Apple isn't trying to push their old stock on unsuspecting consumers.

18. dino26 macrumors 6502

Ok guys im gonna be buying a macbook from the 5th ave store all i do is need to make sure that i ask for a "white 13" macbook with 2.13ghz" , is the 2.13ghz the thing that states its the newest macbook ?

19. jbrent89 macrumors member

so apple stores hire school children ?? ROFL, its almost 2010 for fvcks sake... they guy was obviously tryna push old stock on you, prob just sleezy business with sleezy managers

20. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes, that would be a good way to order it or by model# MC240LL/A

21. dino26 macrumors 6502

Cool , cant wait :D