Odds of ipad 3 being exact same size as ipad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kayzle, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Kayzle macrumors member

Trying to decide if I should hold on to my Portenzo case or sell it with my ipad.

Love the case ad if there's a chance the ipad 3 will fit in it I want to keep it.

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

How closely does it fit the form of your iPad? Based on the rumours, as long as it isn't a really form fitting hard shell case, then it seems like most of the previous cases will fit. Of course we won't know for sure until it's announced.

3. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

It's a case where you kind of set it inside, with a little room(thickness-wise) I think in the bottom. From the sounds of it it might fit.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Im hoping the form factor stays the same but the bezel shrinks. If so, things like smart covers would still work but cut away covers would mask the outer portion of the screen.

I treated my tan smartcover to be a dark leaather so im hoping its the same size. $79 was a lot to spend already and Id hate to buy it again. (especially since its starting to show some separation and Apple won't cover a replacement)

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wouldn't bet on it. how many apple products have ever stayed the same through different iterations? even the iphone 4s is different. i'm just hoping my 32 pin accessories still work with it.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It would be nice but I wouldn't bet on it either. Apple wants to "share the wealth" with all the accessory manufacturers. :rolleyes:

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Even if the size is the same, the location of ports, buttons, cameras, speakers, etc might change.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not sure what 32 pin accessories you have, iOS devices have 30 pin connectors.

Also, form factor won't change.

9. KHC831 macrumors member

iphone 4 and 4s are the same size

10. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

The volume buttons and the silence switch moved down a bit on the 4s for those of us that use at&t. It's the same form factor as the Verizon iPhone 4.

11. ejisfun macrumors regular

Haven't MacBook Pros been the exact same form factor for like 4 years now?

12. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Exactly. And also, with all the other possible upgrades that seem possible, I think it would be crazy to also change the case. I think its perfectly fine the way it is now.

Maybe for the ipad4 it will change.

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It could possibly be thicker, to accommodate a bigger battery and LTE radios, but I think that'll be it.

14. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

At least one company with a vested stake in case sales has come out with a case advertised to fit either one. So I think it's likely the fit will be approximately the same for soft/loose non-hard shell covers. The ports, especially video, might either be slightly off or larger which may then not be an exact match.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wasn't talking about size. size doesn't matter (that's what she said!).

the iphone 4s, the macbook pros, and lots of other apple stuff get minor tweaks like a thunderbolt port here or a camera there. what this means is that your case that worked on the previous generation (i think some otterbox ones for the 4 might have had problems with the 4s), probably won't work on the new one, unless you are willing to put up with some kind of mismatch (blocked buttons, ports, cameras, etc.).

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

All of the above are just guessing and are likely true.

But NO ONE knows yet!:p

17. deeddawg macrumors 603

and there were a bunch of "iPhone 5" cases for sale for a new design in advance of the 4S announcement. I wouldn't use this as evidence.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have two cases, an Incase and an Booq. The Incase one is obviously a retrofitted case for netbooks, but with the zipper moved to the top. So I can guarantee it'll fit fine.

The Booq is a bit more form-fitting, but it's a little stretchy, and despite being designed for the iPad 2, it fit my original iPad.

So I think I'll be fine. :)

/pointless addition to the discussion

19. xraytech macrumors 68020

Well at the recent CES, the fellows at Engadget found this...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/crapgadget-ipad-3-case/

So I'm leaning towards yes, unless Apple is putting out an iPad Two Thirds.

20. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like most people think it will, might be hanging on to the case then.

21. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

They are 30 pin.

:apple::apple::apple:

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

i was trying (and failing?) at some sly humor. didn't apple used to have 32 pin stuff for their devices and then switch to 30? i never had the devices, but i thought that was the case. if not, then egg on my face. you are, of course, correct that the ipad has a 30 pin connector.

23. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

No they didn't. :\ But I do get what you're saying. ;)

24. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I hope it doesn't get thicker. I feel like its perfect size now

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

egg on my face then it is :)
    if apple could manage a retina display and the processor and memory necessary to run it all, then i could handle thicker. it doesn't matter much to me. but, regarding the case, even if it was exactly the same size as the ipad 2, my guess is that the camera will require more space or be slightly moved, the speakers will be moved a bit, or some other thing will be done to encourage you to buy more stuff. i sold all of my ipad 2 cases already :)