Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I do frequently venture in some of the other Intel forums - I do have a few Intel machines after all - but always find it interesting to read people who say they upgrade computers every 1-2 years etc. My newest computer is 7 years old and works great!

I have managed to persuade a few of them, with devices from what I call the 'golden age' of Intel Macs (from the point of view of balance of performance and upgradeability) of 2009-2012ish, to just put in an SSD and more RAM into their machines. They are always amazed at the result! Crazy how many of them were about to throw away perfectly good working (and quite modern) computers. Clearly not a problem on this forum :)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
So what is so darn funny to me is that I am a registered democrat and having voted in the elections of four standing presidents at this point, I voted for the democratic candidate in all of them - and here I am speaking to "conservative values". How is that even possible? It illustrates how far left the left has swung - here I am a registered Democrat denouncing a democratic party that simply does not in any way represent my own or the American values I and millions like me hold. It illustrates the out right take over of the DNC by an ultra-left neo marxist ideology. I mean it still baffles mhen I ponder this rapid and aggressive evolution of the party's politics.

I always criticized the GOP as being out of touch and unwilling to move across the aisle in a meaningful way but I now realize why this tactic was and is employed. They're not being obstructionist, they're defending the mainstay values of the nation in light of an aggressive ethno tribalist marxist take over of the DNC and policies that would erode our value systems. Verbiage I would have used to describe the GOP in 2000, I now use daily when describing the DNC.

Anyhow, Im treading a very fine line here, so will lay off the politico speak. Like so many have spoken to here, we have cultivated such a relaxed, personable and friendly environment (most of the time) it's extremely easy to walk into new topics within individual threads and meander into discussion outside of the areas they're supposed to be in (like politics duh)

Anyhow, I must stay positive in light of the current political climate as I have two small boys 1 & 3 years old respectively. Our Nation will not fail becuase it can not fail. Not only would that be catastrophic to my children, it would be unimaginably disruptive to the world economically, politically, etc. leaving a huge vacuum for a destructive power struggle to ensue and fill. You can guess who those players would be. The fall out would encompass the entire planet, not simply stop at our borders, so no, failure is not an option. My positivity is necessary.

I think these words are quite applicable in today's climate. Hope and try for the best outcome but plan for the worst. Due diligence.

Well said. You're simply worried about the basic way of life in this country; political ideology be damned; as many others are. Simply put (and being as vague as I possibly can, lest someone gets unhinged), we're seeing the slow, thorough, and deliberate flushing of years of corruption of the globalists and corrupt politicians on both sides of the aisle (and other countries, for that matter), and as they die their horrible, justified death, they're fighting a very ugly, very dirty, and very violent battle in a futile attempt at survival. You were right about your observation of the GOP back in 2000, and you're still right. The same applies to the dems as well. Neither party will ever be the same after this election, and, I dare say, one of them will not survive regardless of how this ugliness turns out.

That's not the only battle here. Without being too frank, certain human perversions are being addressed, and many who are involved with this sickness are simultaneously fighting and running VERY scared. Be ready for some very shocking revelations in the coming year.

Buckle up. It's going to be very bumpy for a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1 and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@swamprock Divide and conquer; Mr. Malevolent's oldest trick in the book. And like lemmings, society (you and I included) fell for it, time and again.

That being said, one is at this point in time an objectively larger threat to a basic functional civilization than the other (or at least according to my own current perception of reality and its definition of 'objective'). However, you are again correct that they are both in the end equally misguided in differing ways.

I believe most people have been driven to exhaustion with this perpetual domestic ideological warfare. It is therefore not unreasonable to assume a complete political reform is without a doubt to come sooner or later...

Reactions: swamprock

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that using old hardware requires a certain attitude an important part of which is patience, I don't know. I do know that patience is in short supply these days, everywhere. Anyway, there is most definitely a distinct difference.
I absolutely agree with this. It seems most of the other forums are filled with people who buy a new computer (or phone, or car) every 1-2 years. I think someone else mentioned this in this thread too. My newest computer is my Mac Pro "5,1" (4,1 flashed to 5,1) and I cannot imagine needing anymore power for what I use it for. My newest vehicle is from 2003 and I do not intend on buying one newer than that.
One thing members need to clearly understand when they use this site is that if you are critical of Apple in ANY way shape or form, you will end up on the recieving end of unwanted and unwarranted abuse. You'll get 'baited' into arguments where you will end up being punished for breaking some rule. It's frustrating when it happens but is a fact of life with regards to this forum. People have to live with it or move on to somewhere else.
This is a common trend on reddit too, in the apple related subforums. I've never understood that mindset... I was raised using DOS and Windows 98 and in my "older kid years" like 10-14 I got into Macs.
I had an Android phone until about two years ago. Both have their strengths and weaknesses IMO. What works for me, might not work best for someone else.
Concur. Thank you for your service in law enforcement, regardless of what capacity you perform. Our LEOs and other law enforcement heroes need our support and encouragement in these wicked times.

I stay out of the political forums here. In fact, this is the only forum that I visit in those rare times where I can actually pop in here. I spend enough time in political work and discussions that I try my best to leave it out of here. I will state that your adjectives describe the absolutely unhinged, power-mad, wacko left to a T. It's unbelieveable to me (and to the majority of Americans, regardless of what the democrat propaganda media tells everyone) that they're willing to bow to the marxists and communists in their quest for absolute power, and destroy the Republic in the process.

The far left and the far right; both of which are embedded in the corrupt globalist system; are in the very painful process of being dismantled, which is what has led to this madness that we're living in today. A lot of cash cows are disappearing for much of the elite, and it's led to a new kind of war. It'll get much worse before it (hopefully, for God's sake) gets better.

Ok... enough of that. Back to our regularly-scheduled chillfest...
Thank you, with everything happening in the country it is nice to hear something positive on this subject. My career is part of the reason I don't use FB anymore. I do miss my car enthusiast groups and vintage mac groups, though.

I have never even looked at the political forum on here before. I don't even want to see whatever is in there lol.
I agree with everything else you've said though. I hope things do get better for everyone after the election though. I am lucky where I live, Idahoen's don't put up with what has been happening in Portland or Seattle for example.
I highly recommend that you do some research in the "separate selves" and you'll find some interesting ideas as to why you always react the way you do and others in the forum react the way they do.

Basically, we have our true self and this is a self that defines you as a person, as a human being on this planet with experiences and expertise that a person might like to share with other people. This self in sincere because in essence it has that basic humanity and humility, willing and cooperative and non-divisive. But in the process of obtaining this experience and knowledge, we create these other selves, these separate selves to help us interface with other people or the environment without our basic humanity getting in the way. For example, you work in law enforcement and so you have to create these separate selves and these selves are like little programs that react to different situations that might become life threatening to you in the action of law enforcement and these created selves that you create were for your own protection and your effectiveness in the field of law enforcement. Certainly these selves will only come on when triggered by specific events, very likely events that is confrontational because that is perhaps what you had created for those purpose. There is nothing wrong in creating these selves. We all create these selves so we react to things much faster and more automated; a very quick muscle reflex response. Which is why people often say, they have zero patience or an impulse. But that statement is actually not true. The reason is not you don't have the patience; it's because your selves come out and react to them automatically and quickly like a martial artist who have ingrained muscle reflexes and fight automatically when a threat arises. And your selves had come out and react to the situation, your true self just stood by and watch. After all of that said and then, the more mature of an individual they are, the more mastery they are able to become balanced and the ability to diffuse the situation and let their true selves take over, diffuse the situation and be humble at the mistakes they made. But these are mature individuals who understood that the selves they created are meant to deal with specific situations, but your true self has that full control. The true self has that compassion and understood that others who react poorly are controlled by their own separate selves. They let these selves control their lives, their misery and sometimes their downfall. Eventually though, they too will get fed up playing the game and give up. They'll just withdraw from the forum, because they no longer get the pleasure from the selves, from the drama they got from other people.

I think that when we become more mature, more balanced, we are able to identify these selves in us and while they may react to some situations and conditions, we no longer are controlled by those conditions. We have transcended those conditions and we just either let go if we disagree or just move on. And that's what I do, because I respect other people's opinions and I can't force my own to them if they don't accept it and neither will I be happy if they force theirs onto me either.

I find that this forum in particular have people who are more balanced, more mature and less serious if we are in the debate. That comes with some life experience. Hope this helps.
Thank you for this. I have actually thought about this before, and I think that this is pretty accurate. I like to think that for the most part I have a good handle on it, but sometimes I don't. We all have good days and bad days, but I do try to stay mostly positive and true to myself.

_

I am happy that thus far this thread has been the positive communication I was hoping it would be, I was a little heated when I posted it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am happy that thus far this thread has been the positive communication I was hoping it would be, I was a little heated when I posted it.
I am just going to say that there was a reason I deleted my Facebook account in very early 2017. It's the same reason I stay out of the politics forum and it's the same reason I've kept my own poli-views to myself in this thread.

There are too many people (members, users) I respect and don't wish to lose relationships with.

And that is all I am going to say about that.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
For whatever it's worth @eyoungren , I don't know what your political views are, but I think you're a good dude and I wouldn't think less of you even if our political views were different. I think most of us on both sides of the spectrum just want to live in the best functioning society that we can. A healthy left reminds the right that the people on the bottom need to be able to move upwards without artificial constraints, and a healthy right reminds the left that this should never be achieved through artificial coercion or the demolition of objective value. It's progressives (in the purest sense of the term) who point out what's wrong with society so it can be fixed, and it's conservatives (in the purest sense of the term) who guard the things that are working really well.

It's the ideologically possessed who simply want to win at any cost, even if it ruins society (or increasingly, especially if it ruins society), that I have problems with.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For whatever it's worth @eyoungren , I don't know what your political views are, but I think you're a good dude and I wouldn't think less of you even if our political views were different.
Thank you, appreciate that. All the same though, I will keep that to myself. PowerPC Macs are really the only party I have loyalty to in this particular area of the internet. :D

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Thank you, appreciate that. All the same though, I will keep that to myself. PowerPC Macs are really the only party I have loyalty to in this particular area of the internet. :D
I absolutely respect that and it's why I don't venture into PRSI either. ;)
Just wanna throw my hat into the ring of people who don't go into PRSI. I've occasionally looked in there just to see what people were on about and I've seen some less than stellar exchanges. So i stick to the safe haven we have here ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just wanna throw my hat into the ring of people who don't go into PRSI. I've occasionally looked in there just to see what people were on about and I've seen some less than stellar exchanges. So i stick to the safe haven we have here ;)
I've been on meds for high blood pressure since around 2009 I think, something like that. I don't need the problems PRSI would cause. ;)

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Just wanna throw my hat into the ring of people who don't go into PRSI. I've occasionally looked in there just to see what people were on about and I've seen some less than stellar exchanges. So i stick to the safe haven we have here

I have PRSI in my forum ignore list, but sometimes if I feel deprived of drama I'll remove it and go in there to see what's going on. Then I quickly remember why it was on the ignore list again. What's weird is how there's regulars in that section - people that seemingly come to a tech forum exclusively for the politics section.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I've been on meds for high blood pressure since around 2009 I think, something like that. I don't need the problems PRSI would cause. ;)
Ah, yea, that's understandable. It seems to be a lot of yelling at each other in there. I'm not sure I've ever seen something there where both parties made good with one another ;)
I have PRSI in my forum ignore list, but sometimes if I feel deprived of drama I'll remove it and go in there to see what's going on. Then I quickly remember why it was on the ignore list again. What's weird is how there's regulars in that section - people that seemingly come to a tech forum exclusively for the politics section.
Sometimes I'll click on a post title that I find to be particularly dumb intriguing, as sometimes curiosity does get the better of me. That ends pretty quickly though when I remember why I don't got there in the first place. The fact that forum has regulars is really strange to me too, especially because you need to reach a certain level before you gain access to PSRI. >.>

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016

Me too. Getting old is a bunch of crap. :D

PRSI for me is a lense into the left collective mind. I find how the modern "under35" progressive left rationalize their thoughts and over arching political POV interesting. It does make my blood pressure rise sometimes but I was brought up in an environment of … let's call it strong debate, thus I enjoy a good argument. One of the most interesting observations of that forum for me (and one that correlates somewhat with the AI vid that @z790MP linked to) is that the MO for many of those folks seems to be to point/link to a credible source (ie: article, journal etc.) as why they are right - someone else's opinion, work etc. Really, IMO this speaks to not having a true thought of their own, rather parroting preformed thoughts of consumable information around them. Mind you much of this is not curated content in the traditional sense either. Anyhow this behavior stuck out to me when watching those videos. Is it a product of young people, young adults etc. who have little to no real life experience, haven't been impacted or experienced fallout by bad legislative choices etc. but want to participate in political discussion/discourse about them? Well, if you have no real world experience, you're really left to others good and bad thoughts, ideas, & interpretation so in that light this behavior makes great sense. It also speaks to a presumed median age within PSRI.

Anyhow, when I'm in there, I see a churning of constructed intellectual ideologies and narratives (much like critical race theory, institutional patriarchy, 1619 project amongst others) which collectively are the weapon and where the threat of call out/cancel culture and ultra violent mobs as the wielding aggressor upon society to extort cultural & moral change.

Getting back to the AI vid, I couldn't help but think about just unplugging to regain a rooted semblance of reality. It is why I believe so many on here including myself have stepped away from Facebarf, twanger and other social media platforms. Simply put, it is not real - never was and never will be. This also reminds me of how a growing number of Americans do not trust network news as a credible source of well ... news (which on the outside sounds patently absurd none the less is a measurable reality at this point).

Anyhow, its the weekend and I got hooked up with some addons and stuff for webkit that I'm going to try out this weekend, so I'll get back to Powerpcing in the PPC forum. Not to pander, (but Im going to do it anyways) I truly appreciate you all and your contributions to this forum.

Last edited:

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
This forum is no different than all the other forums here. Opposing points of view are no more tolerated here than they are on the other forums. You may think you're different, but you're not. The only difference between this forum and most of the other forums is the smaller number of people who frequent this forum. This gives the illusion you're all in agreement when you're really not. If you have a dissenting opinion you all will dog pile on that person just as others do in the other forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@djjeff I request sources of this dog-piling. The only recent incident that comes to my mind was the "PowerPC Macs Are Not Usable" debate, which was a demonstratively false "fact" not at all based in reality, which had nothing to do with dissenting opinion.

For example, the fact that opposing points of view are not tolerated here are again, false. There are plenty of people here who are of the opinion that machines of this age belong nowhere near the Internet and are instead best used for period-correct software, who at the same time coexist mostly cohesively with the other side that believes machines of this age are plenty capable of Internet duties and are predominately not hampered by their hardware, but by their dated software and ought to instead run alternative up-to-date operating systems if they are to be used for this purpose.

Being someone who has been on both sides (or at least some variant of them) over the course of the past several years alone, I can acknowledge that they both have points and equally-valid perspectives. And that is a very good thing. We'd be much worse off now and in the future if we did not have one of the two currently primary sides of opinion.

The "Internet-side" furthers usability development in the PowerPC Linux and BSD landscape, and ensures that this platform has a long-term roadmap and realistic future in the modern world for all who care to inquire. Some primary examples of this may include the Fienix project, MintPPC, Void Linux PPC, Arctic Fox, SpiderWeb, and InterWeb.

Conversely, the "Offline-side" champions the rich heritage in the Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X versions up to 10.6, and finding the greatest use of them and their expansive software libraries. Instances of this group may be one simply enjoying the still-great competency of period correct versions of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, iTunes, AAA video game titles of the time, and other specialized software for the PowerPC architecture that some businesses continue to rely upon in the modern day, to say nothing still of all the other indie software products filling many other niche usages in between.

Like all political opposites however, there still remains a majority middle ground of people who align with getting the absolute most out of the wonderful and established environments of Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6 in order to continue making use of the modern Internet for as long as absolutely possible. Prominent products of this group include TenFourFox, Leopard WebKit, AquaWeb, PowerPC Media Center, TenFiveTube, and InterWeb, to name just a few in the current landscape.

Presently, most Web solutions available employ machine-side rendering, but as the Web becomes more demanding and security standards increase, this is likely to slowly but eventually shift over time to proxy rendering (which even the lowest and oldest computing machines can utilize).

But in any case, with such diversity of opinion solely over one platform, you would think that fights would often occur over which side is right. But they do not, because all sides can ultimately agree that the subject matter - that is, that both the PowerPC-based Macintosh and other machines in the broader processor family - are great, for varying reasons based in subjectivity, but great nonetheless.

I hypothesize that you do not see such unity with other political groups because the political opposites are true polar opposites (i.e., one side says: "America is great!" while another parades: "America is terrible!"), but that is a separate discussion on its own.

I'd like to close this defense with what I hold as a particularly excellent self-explanatory remark made by @sheich0608, which when given the "any platform" segment, suggests a certain weight that only hands-on industry experience can provide.

It's fantastic to watch this community work--truly one of the most dedicated and successful I have ever seen in developing for any platform.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
@djjeff I request sources of this dog-piling. The only recent incident that comes to my mind was the "PowerPC Macs Are Not Usable" debate, which was a demonstratively false "fact" not at all based in reality, which had nothing to do with dissenting opinion.

For example, the fact that opposing points of view are not tolerated here are again, false. There are plenty of people here who are of the opinion that machines of this age belong nowhere near the Internet and are instead best used for period-correct software, who at the same time coexist mostly cohesively with the other side that believes machines of this age are plenty capable of Internet duties and are predominately not hampered by their hardware, but by their dated software and ought to instead run alternative up-to-date operating systems if they are to be used for this purpose.

Being someone who has been on both sides (or at least some variant of them) over the course of the past several years alone, I can acknowledge that they both have points and equally-valid perspectives. And that is a very good thing. We'd be much worse off now and in the future if we did not have one of the two currently primary sides of opinion.

The "Internet-side" furthers usability development in the PowerPC Linux and BSD landscape, and ensures that this platform has a long-term roadmap and realistic future in the modern world for all who care to inquire. Some primary examples of this may include the Fienix project, MintPPC, Void Linux PPC, Arctic Fox, SpiderWeb, and InterWeb.

Conversely, the "Offline-side" champions the rich heritage in the Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X versions up to 10.6, and making the absolute most out of them and their expansive software libraries. Instances of this group may be simply enjoying the still-great competency of period correct versions of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, iTunes, AAA video game titles of the time, and other specialized software for the PowerPC architecture that some businesses continue to rely upon in the modern day, to say nothing still of all the other indie software products filling many different niches in between.

Like all political opposites however, there still remains a majority middle ground of people who align with getting the absolute most out of the wonderful and established environments of Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6 in order to still make use of the modern Internet. Prominent products of this group include TenFourFox, Leopard WebKit, AquaWeb, PowerPC Media Center, TenFiveTube, and InterWeb, to name just a few in the current landscape.

With such diversity of opinion solely for one platform, you would think that fights would often occur. But they do not, because all sides can ultimately agree that the subject matter - that is, that both the PowerPC-based Macintosh and other machines in the broader family - are great, for varying reasons based in subjectivity.

I hypothesize that you do not see such unity with other political groups because the political opposites are true polar opposites (i.e., one side says: "America is great!" while another parades: "America is terrible!"), but that is a separate discussion on its own.

I'd like to close this defense with what I hold as a particularly excellent self-explanatory remark made by @sheich0608, which when given the "any platform" segment, carries true weight.

Well said. I would venture to say there is much less agreement about what exactly to do with these things in here than in other subforums. We're all kind of doing our own thing here, but I still read threads about stuff I have no intention of doing myself and appreciate the skill and dedication it takes.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
djjeff I request sources of this dog-piling. The only recent incident that comes to my mind was the "PowerPC Macs Are Not Usable" debate, which was a demonstratively false "fact" not at all based in reality, which had nothing to do with dissenting opinion.

Conversely, the "Offline-side" champions the rich heritage in the Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X versions up to 10.6, and making the absolute most out of them and their expansive software libraries. Instances of this group may be simply enjoying the still-great competency of period correct versions of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, iTunes, AAA video game titles of the time, and other specialized software for the PowerPC architecture that some businesses continue to rely upon in the modern day, to say nothing still of all the other indie software products filling many different niches in between.

Like all political opposites however, there still remains a majority middle ground of people who align with getting the absolute most out of the wonderful and established environments of Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.6 in order to still make use of the modern Internet. Prominent products of this group include TenFourFox, Leopard WebKit, AquaWeb, PowerPC Media Center, TenFiveTube, and InterWeb, to name just a few in the current landscape.

With such diversity of opinion solely for one platform, you would think that fights would often occur. But they do not, because all sides can ultimately agree that the subject matter - that is, that both the PowerPC-based Macintosh and other machines in the broader family - are great, for varying reasons based in subjectivity.

I'd like to close this defense with what I hold as a particularly excellent self-explanatory remark made by sheich0608, which when given the "any platform" segment, carries true weight.
I feel like you hit the nail on the head here. For the most part we can all exist without attacking each other over things such as what web browser to use or if our internet-connected PPC Macs should be running Linux (or BSD or some other Mac OS alternative) or if we should keep things completely vanilla and stick to the Mac OS.
Well said. I would venture to say there is much less agreement about what exactly to do with these things in here than in other subforums. We're all kind of doing our own thing here, but I still read threads about stuff I have no intention of doing myself and appreciate the skill and dedication it takes.
Same here. To use a personal example, I have no intention of wading into anything like Linux at this very specific point in my life because I use my PPC systems for stuff and I'd rather them just work given I have no time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. I however find it interesting to see what others do on that front both for personal enrichment and more formal research for when I do get the time to try it out. I agree that we all sort of do our own thing and that is sort of the nature of using PPC Macs today. Some people stick with spinning hard drives while others use an IDE to SATA bridge or even a SATA controller card so they can use an SSD or newer spinners in their system.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
For example, the fact that opposing points of view are not tolerated here are again, false.
So what about the polka dot guy and what he's doing (cf. the thread I linked to in my previous message)? I get the impression that some not only dislike it but are of the opinion that it is "wrong" and he should stop - while the simple facts are: he can do as he pleases.

Disclaimer: I don't like his creations either but that's none of my business.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
So what about the polka dot guy and what he's doing (cf. the thread I linked to in my previous message)? I get the impression that some not only dislike it but are of the opinion that it is "wrong" and he should stop - while the simple facts are: he can do as he pleases.

Disclaimer: I don't like his creations either but that's none of my business.
I don’t think any of us on here like what he does.

Even if there is someone on here who for whatever unholy reason likes what that guy does, that would be different than the types of differing opinions in other forums. What that guy does is pretty much the opposite of what we all stand for. Which is a pretty big deal to us.

If I say in another forum (or on reddit, where this exact thing actually happened to me) that I prefer my computers have an optical drive, I am stuck in the past and not willing to change, and all of these other ridiculous things that don’t have anything to do with optical drives. Essentially turning what I said into a big deal when it isn’t; whereas polkadot guy is a big deal.

I also basically got called an idiot for saying that portless phones were a bad idea. Which was the trigger moment for me starting this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.