Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hey now @djjeff nearly 6 pages into a thread and no one said anything stupid to one another until then. Not bad considering this is an internet forum in 2020. Any other sub and this entire conversation would’ve been a nightmare on the first page😉
And this didn’t turn into a “dogpile” either. Only a single person replied to you in the way you were hoping we all would. And I’m fairly certain he did it to be funny and to see how you’d react 🤔

I rest my case with what I said in my OP and what most of the members in here said. We’re not perfect, but we’re better than the others.
Here’s an analogy; per-capita our subforum has very little uncivil arguments, dogpiling, name calling, ect. Compared to any other fora. Are we perfect? No, as yourself and timidpimpin pointed out.

Your posts in this thread did come off to me as a bit negative sounding which is why you got the response you did.
However, there were clearly some other differing opinions in this thread but none of them resulted in hostility; hence my per-capita analogy.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
Hey now @djjeff nearly 6 pages into a thread and no one said anything stupid to one another until then. Not bad considering this is an internet forum in 2020. Any other sub and this entire conversation would’ve been a nightmare on the first page
Thank you for also proving my point. Ironically you and others don't see that each time you make such a post you reinforce EXACTLY what I said in my opening post. Let me repost it so maybe you'll understand:

This forum is no different than all the other forums here. Opposing points of view are no more tolerated here than they are on the other forums. You may think you're different, but you're not. The only difference between this forum and most of the other forums is the smaller number of people who frequent this forum. This gives the illusion you're all in agreement when you're really not. If you have a dissenting opinion you all will dog pile on that person just as others do in the other forums.
That's exactly what you, and others, have been doing this past 24 hours. You can bury your heads in the sand to that effect but it won't negate it.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Thank you for also proving my point. Ironically you and others don't see that each time you make such a post you reinforce EXACTLY what I said in my opening post. Let me repost it so maybe you'll understand:

This forum is no different than all the other forums here. Opposing points of view are no more tolerated here than they are on the other forums. You may think you're different, but you're not. The only difference between this forum and most of the other forums is the smaller number of people who frequent this forum. This gives the illusion you're all in agreement when you're really not. If you have a dissenting opinion you all will dog pile on that person just as others do in the other forums.
That's exactly what you, and others, have been doing this past 24 hours. You can bury your heads in the sand to that effect but it won't negate it.
No I’m gonna go ahead and say that’s false. You are right now doing what the media does. Taking what myself and others have said out of context, and ignoring the whole point. The general tone of your comments are intent on picking a fight. You have not been dogpiled yet.

You are actually the one who keeps reinforcing my point. You are one person who causing a slight scene, but the overall tone of this place is positive. You can continue to reply and try to prevoke the rest of us, but as I’m sure you’ve noticed the majority of the other members have stopped responding, as to not continue with your negative banter. Like it’s been said on here a couple times about the less-mature people “ignore them and they’ll go away”.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
No I’m gonna go ahead and say that’s false. You are right now doing what the media does. Taking what myself and others have said out of context, and ignoring the whole point. The general tone of your comments are intent on picking a fight. You have not been dogpiled yet.
Saying it's false and being false are two different things. Unfortunately for you it isn't false. Yes, I have been dogpiled.

You just can't accept this forum is not the pinnacle of virtue the OP made it out to be. The reality is this forum is just as hostile to differing points of view as every other forum here. The past 24 hours has demonstrated that quite clearly. The only difference between this forum and others is the smaller number of participants. Participants who tend to share the same point of view. Whenever an outsider comes in and challenges the status quo, as I have done, the forum responds exactly as every other.
[automerge]1600643606[/automerge]

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Saying it's false and being false are two different things. Unfortunately for you it isn't false. Yes, I have been dogpiled.

You just can't accept this forum is not the pinnacle of virtue the OP made it out to be. The reality is this forum is just as hostile to differing points of view as every other forum here. The past 24 hours has demonstrated that quite clearly. The only difference between this forum and others is the smaller number of participants. Participants who tend to share the same point of view. Whenever an outsider comes in and challenges the status quo, as I have done, the forum responds exactly as every other.
Nobody said it was a “perfect place of virtue”.
We said it was better. I feel like I’m talking to a wall right now. You’re intent on being negative, and the ONLY one replying to this post with an intent to cause a fight. And you aren’t the only one in here with different opinions.
My last couple posts literally said that. Did you see the per-capita reference? Right now you’re the 1% of the population being a problem. Other forums have a 75% of “problems”.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
Nobody said it was a “perfect place of virtue”.
We said it was better. I feel like I’m talking to a wall right now. You’re intent on being negative, and the ONLY one replying to this post with an intent to cause a fight. And you aren’t the only one in here with different opinions.
My last couple posts literally said that. Did you see the per-capita reference? Right now you’re the 1% of the population being a problem. Other forums have a 75% of “problems”.
Thanks for proving my point. Differing opinions are no more tolerated here than they are in other forums. It's either go with the group think or be accused of trolling / intending to cause a fight. The irony being you don't see what is clearly evident to objective people. You'll continue to yammer on about how I am the only one this and the only one that. Which might be entirely correct and, in doing so, you'll be making my point.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm fairly active in the iPhone forum, and the Community Discussion forum. I also check the Jailbreak forum every day, but don't post there much any more. I stay out of the Politics forum because you don't even get the benefit of adding to your post count in there.

You'd be interested in this subreddit. Some cool stuff there, even though it's reddit (gag)- /r/LegacyJailbreak

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I have to say that generally speaking, this is the only forum I like to even check new posts on regularly. Mainly I think, like so many of us, it's because PowerPCs still fascinate me. I love discovering what others are doing to extend the life of theirs old machines, and what knowledge I can pick up to do the same for mine. I don't read everything, but that's also due to what interests me at the core, which is probably typical for anyone here too. I don't read much of the Linux on PowerPC threads, or the fancier graphics card upgrade threads, but who knows, that could change some day too. :p I tend to do more reading than replying, but I know that sometimes I might be one of the only people with an answer or suggestion that someone is looking for, so I try to help out when I can too.

For me, I started popping in here because I grew up with PowerPC Macs and I wanted to hang out where people were discussing them, since they were becoming "obsolete" around that time. Since then, it's become a hobby to just see what I can do with them, pushing the limits, finding new uses, learning more about the stuff that interests me with you guys. I joined back in 2010, (I somehow missed my 10 year anniversary, whoops!) and I've seen a lot of different people come and go here, but I think the core of what we want this forum to be has remained. For the most part, the forum here remains a place for information, and friendly banter. Obviously, as some have mentioned in this thread, sometimes that doesn't go exactly as planned and people end up feeling attacked or whatever, but as I'm sure you're aware, a perfect place on the internet doesn't exist. :p

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I appreciate you all and what you do for the PowerPC community here. I enjoy being a part of it and sharing in the joy of using old Macs in the modern age. :)

fiftysixk

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
Webster TX
o7 to you, and thanks for your service.

I used to really like the blog when it was active (still do, but you get my meaning). The frequent posts have stopped there, but I still pop by from time to time. It was there that I learned about Debian Ports and sid for PowerPC, which led to the forum denizens here to start exploring it a few years ago (I can take a little bit of credit for bringing it here :) ). Nice to see that it was updated recently, and nice to know that you're still active, nickname notwithstanding.

Here is another o7 to @timidpimpin.

I had a blast being part of the blog, and look forward to continuing to be. The whole experience taught me a lot. PowerPC macs got me out of the Windows world. Diving into Debian on PowerPC macs was yet another great new world. I am about to move into a bigger space and will have some room to have some of the macs set up again. I'd like to reboot the PowerMac G4 Cooling project. I am also looking forward to giving sid a go.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Here is another o7 to @timidpimpin.

I had a blast being part of the blog, and look forward to continuing to be. The whole experience taught me a lot. PowerPC macs got me out of the Windows world. Diving into Debian on PowerPC macs was yet another great new world. I am about to move into a bigger space and will have some room to have some of the macs set up again. I'd like to reboot the PowerMac G4 Cooling project. I am also looking forward to giving sid a go.

Yep, lets get it back to its former glory. I've been thinking of a few ideas for new content.

Hmm, I personally enjoy dipping in the political forum from time to time and pull all of their identity politics, grievance culture, soyboy, anti capitalist, pro marxist, liberal strings. I consider it more of a public service in that without a dissenting American conservative opinion illustrating everything that is patently wrong with their constructed narrative of US history, Institutional oppression, hatred & grievance, they get lost down their rabbit hole destined to the hypnosis of their marxist leftist echo chamber.

I help my good friends over there remember the ideals that make the United States an amazing & inclusive (contrary to lefty belief) place to reside.

And with that I obviously try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to leave that out of this place and just talk shop.

Y’all have a great day.

Long live the Republic. :D

I like this forum precisely because I don’t come here to read or have a take on political matters (as with the above here), and I do not think a mess of you all would want to be aware of my own world views or my own takes.

Then again, that’s also not why we’re here.

We’re here to make these PPCs (and yes, old Intel rigs) sing and zing well into tomorrow and beyond.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I like this forum precisely because I don’t come here to read or have a take on political matters (as with the above here), and I do not think a mess of you all would want to be aware of my own world views or my own takes.

Then again, that’s also not why we’re here.

We’re here to make these PPCs (and yes, old Intel rigs) sing and zing well into tomorrow and beyond.

But you’re one of my favorite people to argue with. You & @Dronecatcher are loads of fun. The European perspective is always a fiery & vibrant one.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
@djjeff My point that this proves is that we in fact presently live in a world where dissenting opinion and consequence of action exists. And just as well, let it be so.

@Amethyst1 I am not, and as a matter of fact the iBook G3 Clamshell does not match with my personal taste at all. I do not personally think it is a work of art, but seeing as how it boasts such a niche-within-a-niche following in culture, I saw it to be a rather fitting, if imperfect, analogy. Regardless, you may disagree with it as you see fit.

@Appleuser201 If memory serves, essentially, he kept posting half-truths and borderline false information into many different threads. These actions went on to be a painfully obvious thorn in the forum's side, and after receiving multiple suspensions in advance and who knows how many warnings, he was eventually banned as the moderators saw fit.

Seeing as how he occasionally returns however, there is cause to believe it may not have been a permanent ban, but perhaps one lasting a year, or two years.

@RhianB I disagree. If someone doesn't have the emotional maturity to engage and argue a point without feeling attacked, they ought to do so while feeling attacked so that they can afford themselves the opportunity to grow out of it and realize that they were (in most all cases) never actually attacked. It is the action of conquering a personal shortcoming, which benefits not only everyone they speak to, but most importantly, themselves.

I will go so far as to make public that this is, as you say, quite literally the position I found myself in since joining in June 2017. I came to get help with Linux, and ended up staying for the unique culture and community, which I am (evidently) the type of individual to naturally be attracted to.

That is of course not to say that I did not at first have a heaping share of conflicts and debates, and at times needed to take extended breaks away from the forum as a result. However, they were very good because I socially grew with each one while learning a thing or two in the process. It is for this express reason why I remain grateful to you all today, for affording me that opportunity to develop these skills with people as well as learn countless life lessons that I wouldn't have likely ever gotten the opportunity to otherwise (a natural side effect from being raised almost exclusively on the Internet).

But perhaps that is a song I have now sung one too many times...

In any case however, this is not about me.

Yes, the intent there was to illustrate what we as individuals should do vs what we typically do are often contrary to eachother. I agree that the majority of how we as individuals mature and learn social skills (ie: socialize) is through the errors in judgement we make through life.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I couldn't think of a better place to post this and it seemed half-relevant.

I've been browsing some of the other forums a little bit, mostly if I see a topic that catches my eye on the side bar of the home page. I usually go there just to see if there's any cool new things I might wanna know about.
Anyway, there's this incredibly annoying phenomenon I've experienced multiple times. Most the other users are like..offended; if you don't agree that the newest and latest thing is best thing and everyone should be using it. This thread is a perfect example.
I've gotten downvoted on reddit, and I'm pretty sure I've been asked if I tell kids to get off my lawn twice on this site just this week alone.

This is the kind of behavior that makes me not want to visit the other forums. It's like talking to a wall lol. Everyone should be able to have their opinion for their specific use cases and not be ridiculed if it doesn't fit the echochamber.
I don't hate new technology either, most of it is great. I dislike dongles and soldering, but I have issues with new software too. If I want my own perfect modular modern machine I can build one out of parts from newegg or wherever.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I've been browsing some of the other forums a little bit, mostly if I see a topic that catches my eye on the side bar of the home page. I usually go there just to see if there's any cool new things I might wanna know about.
Anyway, there's this incredibly annoying phenomenon I've experienced multiple times. Most the other users are like..offended; if you don't agree that the newest and latest thing is best thing and everyone should be using it. This thread is a perfect example.
I've gotten downvoted on reddit, and I'm pretty sure I've been asked if I tell kids to get off my lawn twice on this site just this week alone.

This is the kind of behavior that makes me not want to visit the other forums. It's like talking to a wall lol. Everyone should be able to have their opinion for their specific use cases and not be ridiculed if it doesn't fit the echochamber.
I don't hate new technology either, most of it is great. I dislike dongles and soldering, but I have issues with new software too. If I want my own perfect modular modern machine I can build one out of parts from newegg or wherever.
The attitude of the newest and best used to be a thing in the iPhone section here. In fact, it was pretty bad back in 2012-2013 when some were buying the iPhone as a status symbol and posting about it (no doubt some still do buy it as a status symbol). Eventually those voices got drowned out by those who see the iPhone as a tool (myself included).

But the same issue has always been in the Intel Mac forums here, although lately it seems to be much less.

I've found that solidly standing on my opinion without getting heated about things generally works best for me. When they can't get a rise out of you or change your opinion it's no longer fun for them.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I find many of the threads on this site to be worthless junk outside of the more "hobbyist" forums like PPC, Early Intel, Photography, some of Community Discussion, and even the iPod forum. in the more mainstream boards it's just a mess. It reminds me of the things I hated about Reddit, just with much less needless cursing.

This has always been an issue, but I don't remember it being nearly this bad during the older years. Namely, before 2007. I had a great time before then. The iPhone brought a lot of people that weren't so civil and a lot of bickering and fighting became commonplace more and more. This spilled over into the other hardware boards as obviously the iPhone made Apple a lot more popular. Things really took a nose dive around the time the iPhone 4 came out, and by 2012 the site was way different than it had been 6 years earlier. 2012 was a very, very bad year on this forum. The temperature increased enough that I decided to give up on it altogether and leave, took me 5 and a half years to rejoin under a new name.

I see that in a lot of ways not much has changed, especially in those more mainstream forums. Plenty of people that get off by Lording their "superiority" over others and berating and belittling them for even the most minor points they can. Not conductive under any circumstance and it's really a shame. I join a discussion expecting it to go fine and then the flames start. I still see some of my 2000s era buddies on this site, but they've mostly abandoned the tech boards and now hang out in the community section. Some due to lost interest, others have expressly stated that they got tired of it. I'm creeping towards that same point, because it's really tiresome in a lot of ways. The battle of superiority and shutting down others is not for me.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA

Yeah, I don't get why people have a problem with someone using the tools that work for them. Maybe people think it's just trolling and nobody could be crazy enough to actually do that, right? I know I'd rather type something on a PowerBook than a new MacBook - I need some key travel! I'm not trash talking the new computers, I'm sure they do have great screens and performance, but for what I do there are better (and more cost effective) choices, even though they may be older.

I still see some of my 2000s era buddies on this site, but they've mostly abandoned the tech boards and now hang out in the community section. Some due to lost interest, others have expressly stated that they got tired of it. I'm creeping towards that same point, because it's really tiresome in a lot of ways. The battle of superiority and shutting down others is not for me.
I pretty much come here exclusively for the community. This is hands down the best forum for me to find people with similar computer interests as me and there are some great discussions in the subforums, so I'm really glad this site exists, it's always in my bookmarks bar. I do read the tech news on occasion, but it seems like those threads turn into a disaster zone pretty frequently. I still don't understand why people get so defensive of a trillion dollar corporation, but it seems pretty common here and on reddit.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Don't give a **** about the naysayers. Use what works for you, nothing else matters. But for goodness sake, get a 4K monitor!!!oneoneeleven

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.