Office '08 vs. iWork!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ki2594, May 18, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

So i have both of them already, and i use them both, but i just wanted to know what everyone uses the most and why. I love the software in iWork but the only problem is compatibility crappp. Sooo which (if either) do you guys use??

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I use both, and there's an excellent comparison to real-world instances in the MacWorld mag that I got in the mail yesterday

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I use iWork most of the time and yes, there is an excellent article about this in Macworld Mag.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Is it in the most recent issue about how to purchase a Mac now?

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I predominantly use Office '08, except for making presentations, when I only use Keynote. I have used Pages on occasion, but only when I know the document will stay with me and doesn't need to be shared.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The how to purchase a Mac is in the current June issue. The comparison between iWork and Office was in the May issue.

I have both Office and iWork and tend to use iWork a bit more. I find it very quick and easy to use.

7. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah lke i said i think iwork has better and faster software its just that when you need to share a doc you almost always gotta use office unless the other person has iwork. But it looks like more people use iwork

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If I am going to share a doc with a Office user, I just save it as a Word doc within iWork. I have never had any problems with anyone opening them up and using them.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I use both, but due to compatibility issues, I use Office: 2008 more often, if it's being shared with other folks. My first choice is Pages, if it stays with me, and I'm the only one printing hardcopies to be turned in. Pages is "the bomb-diggity" when it comes to reports, newsletters, fliers or papers that need some spicing-up, and it's very compatible with Office, but I lose some of the graphics when making it compatible with Word. I use Keynote all the time, and just convert it PP compatibility for sharing purposes. I've used Publisher at school, and find it to be unfriendly in a zillion ways, so I've pretty much dumped Publisher as an option for future projects. :cool:

10. Uoila macrumors member

I use office 08, even though its dog slow even with SP1. In the early days of office 08 it used to crash a lot, but that has pretty much all been fixed with updates.

Apple's stuff is actually pretty good. Pages can export to .doc, and I think that Keynote has potential to be better than powerpoint. The only problem is that they both have a slight learning curve for anybody who is used to office.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iWork '08 thanks.

And OpenOffice on my Asus EEE PC.

I'm not paying 100s for MS Office.

I think MS and Apple should move away from .pages and .doc to .odf, and then what program we use wouldn't matter nearly as much.

12. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Keynote for presentations and NeoOffice for other documents.

Yeah, I am saving everything as .odf when I know I will keep it for me. And all my tech interested friends also use OpenOffice on they're Linux/Windows machines. If someone else needs it, just resave it as .doc or whatever.

13. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I use Office both out of reflex (used it forever) and for compatibility with other users and the Windows platform.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good Point, I've created a Mac Guide for this which can be accessed on the Mac Applications page or below:

[guide]Comparison of iWork and Microsoft Office[/guide]

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Excellent. I will read this over and make contributions.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I use Office '08 out of necessity. It's much easier for getting things done for school rather than going back and forth between applications.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cool, some bits like Entourage are a bit weak as I've never used it. But feel free to add to it. I haven't actually used Office 2008 so it may not be 100% up to date.

PS this is the most recent thread on this topic so may have some further insights.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hope you don't mind, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. ;)

19. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what? how do you save it as a .doc file within iwork?

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You have to File - Export... - Word

It can lead to problems with formatting and such.

21. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dudududududde thats sweeet. Thanks alot. I'm probably going to use it alot more than word now!

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have no Microsuck software on my primary computer.

When I'm creating, I use iWork. When I'm sharing, I export to PDF.

I don't collaborate much, so maintaining perfect formatting between Office and iWork docs isn't an issue for me. When I share something, they don't need to be able to edit it.

Saving as a PDF is the only guarantee that formatting will remain unchanged. Even from one OS to the same OS using the same software. Fonts and printer margins can come into play with everything but PDF.

On the rare occasion that I come across something that iWork doesn't like (databases in spreadsheets, for example), I resort to NeoOffice. NeoOffice is also great for the one client I have that uses Wordperfect.

Of course, with the .docx format out now, I suspect I'll have to install MS Office eventually. :(

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? Doesn't .docx make it easier for competing products to open the files as its an open standard?

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just to add Pages, Textedit, OpenOffice (and therefore NeoOffice) already support opening up .docx