Office 2010 for $80..should I get it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by peapody, Jul 3, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

just wondering if I should pick this up before I graduate. does anyone out there have any experience with it? I have 2007 already, and it looks pretty much the same. What do you guys think?

2. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'd get it if the version you can buy has Outlook. Outlook is the only program that has significantly changed in this version and now has the ribbon interface. It's a bit busy for my tastes but maybe I just haven't used it enough yet. If the version you can get for $80 doesn't have Outlook I can't see enough reason to upgrade. Not much has changed.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The student deal http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx is Pro so it does include Outlook.

For hardcore Excel users the native 64 bit version can also be a big deal.

Note that non-students can pick up the home & Student version for ~$120 that includes three licenses, but does not include Outlook or Access.

B

4. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Do you know there is a free office version called open offce? it is very similar to Microsoft office, maybe not as polished but it is similar. There is a mac version too.

5. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Yeah know about it and have it.

I just wanted to see if it is worth it to upgrade while I have a student email account.

6. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
  7. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Ive tested excel 2010 a bit and its definitely worth it.
    it is so much quicker. word, excel etc. now start instantly when clicking them.
    also the layout of office has changed positively. its less cluttered now.

I dont know if $80 are much to you but in the UK MS takes £50 for the pro version and thats a pretty good deal, though it was only £38 before for 2007 ultimate

edit: ppl cant get tired of advertising OO ... get lost! no one in the world uses it. You cant seriously believe that it is a good alternative for work or studying.
    the world uses office and its good to have this sort of standard. there isnt 100% compatibility between office mac and office windows, so if MS cant work it out
    how should OO do it?

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Get lost? Well, I agree that OO is a poor substitute for MS Office or even Pages. The UI looks like something from 1998.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have 2010. It's pretty nice and is easier to use in my opinion. If you won't use it, then don't buy it.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

$80 is kinda expensive for a student discount version. Most schools will sell it to you for less. I don't think the upgrade is worth it if you already have the 2007 version, unless you're a power Outlook user.