Office 2014 mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abcdefg12345, Feb 16, 2014.

1. abcdefg12345 macrumors regular

abcdefg12345

this is how office 2014 for mac will look like on the App Store

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does the zip file contain because most member won't be willing to download and/or install anything on a computer that looks suspicious.

3. abcdefg12345 thread starter macrumors regular

abcdefg12345

simple app i made with Xcode of how office 2014 might look like if its sold on the App Store

Attached Files:

4. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

Same windows version functionality and localization

This time, I hope the suite comes with same functionalities and localizations (Portuguese - Portugal, for me) as its windows version.
    Otherwise, I'm not really interestedm specially when the latest iWork is free, and has the tools I need.

----------

Well put!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The knock I have against iWork (at least with Numbers since I use that more then the word processing app) is its been hamstrung by apple. It always lacked features when you compared it against Excel, but now its down right embarrassing in what it lacks, since being updated. There was a rich set of templates available to provide a nice looking spreadsheet, not just a handful. That's just one example.

I use Numbers over excel because it does give me the ability to run it everywhere thanks to iCloud but I'm really disappointed in the lack of features :(

6. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

In the original post you state "will look" but here, it is "might look".

So, we're guessing here, are we?

My issue with Office for Mac is how it's knobbled compared to the Windows version, particularly the way that Outlook works.

I can't use it because it won't sync to Google Calendar. Even if it was able to sync to Outlook.com's calendars I'd be happy. I need to be able to sync calendars between Mac Mini, Macbook, iPhone and iPad.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Starting to doubt if another Office for Mac will ever come.

8. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

With more and more Macs being seen in the enterprise the days I would think Microsoft would want to continue Office development. I'd imagine they are selling more copies of Office for Mac than they have in the past.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

2011 was announced in August 2009 and released over a year later, so if no announcement yet, it's unlikely that there would be a final release this year.

10. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

Maybe… bye office for mac… i think they won't release another office ever

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

They shoehorned Skydrive into office 2011, and no competitors have anything close to their level of functionality (not even libreoffice). I don't see any reason for them to hurry.

I do miss OneNote though. I hope they add it to the next version.

12. OldGreyGuy macrumors member

OneNote and OneDrive (SkyDrive) integration would be nice for the next Mac release.

Hint, hint, please Microsoft.

13. onekerato macrumors regular

Office for Mac 2011 seems to be selling quite well... on Amazon, it's collected 10 reviews in just the last 3 days. It even outsells Office for Windows on Amazon's bestsellers in Business and Office Management software! Looks like a good incentive to launch Office 2014 for Mac :)

BTW Office 365 1yr subscription is currently $68 on Amazon for key-only. This will include the Office 2014 upgrade if it releases anytime during the subscription.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If MS is making money on it, why discontinue it? We've had these concerns with almost every release of office and maybe that day will come - hopefully not this year

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If 2011 is still selling well, why make a new one?

16. jonesea macrumors newbie

Microsoft is looking to rebrand its self after the failure off their Windows 8 and surface crap. I see no reason they would not grab onto anything that makes money (office in general).

Recent increased sales of OSX means an increasing need for an office suite at the expense of Apple's offering.

A dollar earned is worth more if you can get it at the expense of your competitor.

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The only reason Office won't arrive for Mac is if Microsoft keeps doing what it's doing now - sabotaging its own products. They botched Windows, and now they probably have some ingenious way to ruin the Office following. Software is so easy I can't believe Microsoft is so dumb.

Keep making and selling Office - and come up with a new product (Office 365 for example) and do your innovation mess there. Cannibalize your own market - it works every time. Ruining your own product, and allowing competitors to best you - never works in your favor.

18. wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

Upgrades from 2011 users! I will upgrade in a heartbeat to get better synchronization with SharePoint.

19. Miguel Cunha, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I totally agree with you.
    It reminds me of the first release of Final Cut Pro X.
    Hopefully, iWork will also be improved in time.

That's what I feel, regarding the Mac version of Microsoft Office vs Windows.
    So far, it's been hamstrung by Microsoft, in the features I said before, and many more and from my user experience it's far from being properly optimzed for mac - very slow.
    Localization, dictionary and thesaurus are in no way comparable to the windows version.

The difference is that iWork is free.

Also this is the main reason, many users in Portugal (and other countries) use either Bootcamp, or virtualization/emulation (apart from games, Crossover compatibility requests and tests, lay mostly on Microsft Office) to run the windows version - an aditional cost and setup workaround, apart from not being native and therefore optimized. Not a satisfactory solution for me.

I'm not saying Microsoft Office for Mac is bad, but If I pay, I demand a good solution for the Mac, really design for the Mac (not just a kind of a crippled port), with all of the above and the mac's user experience philosophy in the concept.

20. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

If they make Office 2014 more similar to Office 2013 I might consider using it. Right now Office 2011 is nothing like the Windows version, everything is different and overloaded. Why don't they just make a normal Ribbon interface exactly like the one on Windows? :rolleyes:

21. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

That's precisely my point.

22. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Office is a very important piece of software in the Macintosh ecosystem. Apple should do everything they can to ensure they can get a commitment from Microsoft to continue Office for Macintosh in the foreseeable future. I think if Microsoft were planning to drop it, they would have done so already. Apple is much more polite to Microsoft than in years past when they used to rag them during every MacWorld and poke fun at their software and business practices. Whether or not Apple will admit it, Office is very important to the platform.

From what I have seen, all of the display computers at the Apple Store have Office 2011 installed for demonstration. I am sure that it is asked about very often when people consider the platform for the first time.

23. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Office 2011 for Mac is barely usable for me. Its because of this, I run Office 2013 for Windows on my Mac.

- No OneNote. We use OneNote heavily
    - Lync is horrific. Super unstable and lacking many features the Windows client has.
    - Outlook for Mac is significantly slower than the Windows version. I have a ton of email and it barfs once most of my mail is downloaded. It can take minutes for new mail to come in. Outlook 2013 for Windows can handle gigantic mailboxes (> 40GB) with ease.

24. laomao macrumors member

do you know when it is going to be released?

25. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Office:win ribbon interface sucks beyond description. The fact that many Windows users are used to it notwithstanding.