Official Apple Response to Antenna Problem Coming Shortly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saudansari, Jun 25, 2010.

1. saudansari macrumors newbie

Don't know if this has been reported and didn't care to search the forums to see if it had been but:

To those of you worried that steve jobs' dumba** response and Apple's followup was the final word on the antenna problem, it seems as though Apple will be following up on it shortly. I talked to three reps today from apple (and two senior reps) and I was told that every csr had received an e-mail saying that a fix was being worked on by the engineering dept. and that one would be announced in the next 24 hours. I heard everything from a hardware recall, software update, and free bumpers.

I tried to ask if there was a short term fix and the senior csr offered me all sorts of suggestions. It's crazy how the quality of their call centers has declined. Some of the offered short term fixes were: Use another phone (microsim?), buy a case, and (my favorite), use something to hold your phone other than your hands.

Let's hope we get a fix tomorrow.

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Maybe you should have searched because this has been posted twice now from what I have seen.

3. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Software issue or hardware recall would be great. Bumpers are NOT acceptable.

4. Darwing macrumors 6502

i still cant believe he said that... "its a non-issue" are you ****ing serious?? its a phone that drops calls immediately!

if they have to do a recall, apple will lose A LOT!!!! A LOTTTTTTT of customers and respect and their Iphone legacy will get tarnished to the point where they will be the butt end of every joke in the industry

free bumpers.. LOL not gonna happen who puts out a phone that requires you to have a gay bumper case for it to function properly

Software, not likely a possibility, its a hardware physical problem , they can't re-rout the signal strength elsewhere with software upgrade. its engraved. and its NOT AT&T!!

5. RC83 macrumors 6502

can we watch the press release somewhere online?

6. outphase macrumors 65816

Press releases are text, so you'll see it on Apple.com's PR page or any tech sites.

7. iphoneZ macrumors regular

no fix possible. fatal, basic design flaw. time for apple to reach into that 40+ billion cash stash and do a full recall.

8. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

9. RC83 macrumors 6502

im pretty sure they wouldn't say news of a "fix within 24hrs" if they didn't have something that has "fixed" the problem... other than recall... They would definitely try more and more solutions before doing a complete recall..

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Are you kidding me? If Apple recalls this phone they will earn my respect for making good on a mistake. I will gladly use my bumper as a temporary solution until they sent me a working phone if a recall took place.

If a recall is necessary, which I doubt, then Apple will fix the issue and still have the best phone on the market and I would think people would appreciate a better working phone in the end.

11. California King macrumors 65816

Yeah..I don't think you should ever run a business or even run a farmville account :p

12. saudansari thread starter macrumors newbie

Where, I haven't seen them (since I looked).

Anyways, I don't think it's a "fatal" issue. I was calling about my proximity meter issue. I don't have any antennae issues at all whatsoever. In fact, the antennae is great on my iphone; I get better reception everywhere. Before I could only get 1 bar on none in my basement, now I get a solid 2. text messages send faster and pages load faster.

13. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

14. iphoneZ macrumors regular

why because i know how to put customers first? the cost of a recall is much less long term than the cost of millions of unhappy customers.

also, that AI article is little more than a PR from apple

15. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

+1. I would have a Lot of respect if they couldn't fix it through a software update and decided to recall the entire lot. Apple would deffinatly have a long time and loyal customer.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously lol'ed at your comment.

17. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

What is your issue with the proximity sensor? My issue is that it doesn't seem to be as sensitive as it should be. If I move it one way or another, it seems to turn he screen back on. What did they tell you about the sensor?

18. megsalias macrumors regular

I called Apple about an hour ago, and I was told that there would be an announcement made on Monday. The girl told me to check the news, haha.

19. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I'm hoping for a real fix, and not a cosmetic fix to change the behavior of the bars.

20. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have an issue with the prox sensor not being as sensitive. I was just on the phone and it kept lighting up. I hope it is an analog sensor that can be adjusted (sensitivity level). The 3GS was always cutting off before it got up to my ear.

21. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

it is so friggen easy to hold the phone and not come close to touching that seem at all. I really dont see a huge problem here. Evew when I touch it lightly(no need for a death grip) nothing happens.

22. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

It's easy, but not ideal for most people. Why should users change the way they use their iPhones because of a fault made by Apple? I don't use the "death grip". Just my regular way of holding an iPhone, and I have suffered from this reception issue.

23. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

because if you just hold it differently for a week you will continue to do so without even thinking about it. I appreciate the new design because I get much better reception at my house. Now 3 bars when I used to get 0-1.

24. saudansari thread starter macrumors newbie

Same here, it isn't sensitive enough.

I had heard that the announcement would come within 24 hours. On an unrelated note, does anyone know if the docks are for sale yet at the apple store?

25. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm left-handed, and I don't want to hold the phone like an idiot. Reassurance via software update.... change those 1's and 0's Apple! iPhone 4: Automagically fixes reception! Magical!