Official Facebook App for Playbook. Sorry iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, May 4, 2011.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/will-...osoft-and-facebook-help-save-blackberry/48149

Because of his high-energy antics, Ballmer can be tough act to follow, but after him RIM brought out Facebook’s vice president of global marketing solutions Carolyn Everson and she surprisingly wowed the crowd with some great anecdotes about Facebook, a visionary message about where Facebook is heading, and a vote of confidence in BlackBerry as one of its key mobile partners.

Everson, who left a top sales job at Microsoft to come to Facebook, explained how Facebook puts “Social by Design” stickers on everything at Facebook, including desks, walls, and laptops in order to remind all of the employees to put users and social features at the forefront of their work at all times. She told a story of how this philosophy bore fruit when two interns decided that Facebook needed its own photo-sharing element and built the feature in 24 hours. It didn’t have hardly any features but it allowed users to tag their friends in the photos. It took off like wildfire and eventually made Facebook the No. 1 photo-sharing site on the planet.

Everson explains Facebook’s principles of social design. Photo credit: Jason Hiner

According to Everson, another motto of Facebook is that “This journey is 1% finished,” which speaks to the fact that Facebook sees the social networking revolution as still in its earliest infancy, with a ton of exciting innovation to come.

Everson stressed that mobile is the next great frontier, and that it will overtake PCs in the next two years as the most important computing platform. ”I can’t overestimate the importance of mobile,” she said.

Nevertheless, Facebook hasn’t done much to enhance its mobile experience. The Facebook app for the PlayBook is Facebook’s first tablet app. Everson told the audience that it was a three-way collaboration between Facebook, RIM, and Adobe (the app was built using AIR).

“We’re extremely bullish about our partnership with BlackBerry,” she said. But, she also added that Facebook is ”moving to a consistency across our platforms and [is] a big supporter of HTML5.” In other words, don’t expect tablet exclusivity on BlackBerry for long, and Facebook would ultimately prefer to build Web apps rather than a specific app for each platform.

While signing up these three partners is an important move that shows RIM is courting big developers and cutting the right deals, there’s a lot more work that needs to be done — for both smartphones and tablets. For the PlayBook, the one partner that RIM needs to double-down on immediately is Amazon. The PlayBook desperately needs a Kindle app, and an Amazon CloudPlayer app would be a big bonus as well.

2. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

As good or bad as the PlayBook is, RIM were giving them away at BlackBerry World, because they knew most tech bloggers wouldn't buy it with their own money.

4. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I could care less about the PB. My point is that FB has decided to actually partner with Rim and do an official FB app, the one app that iPad users have been begging for.

I mean, sure FB can partner with whomever they choose, but d888, its kind of like a slap in the face being that the iPad is on version 2, and contains the #1 app store in the world.

And didnt Zuckerberg openly state that tablets arent mobile?

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I guess, but it's not that big of a deal anyways. Uploading pics and chat are the only thing that's missing from Facebook in Safari - important for some, but 'meh' IMO.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

... to those don't have a Blackberry phone already. But if you do, then the Playbook is like its soul mate. RIM is clearly targeting strictly their existing BB users as the potential Playbook buyers at this point.

I am an iPhone user and so after playing with a playbook for a few days, it went back to bestbuy. Needless to say, it's functionalities were quite limiting. However, I do think the concept of a seamless smartphone-to-tablet bridge is a good one. Something that Apple can learn from. Imaging accessing the photo and videos taken from your iPhone from the iPad. Better yet, upload them to YouTube or facebook using apps in your iPad.

All RIM had to do was to get Zuckerberg to try using FB on a Playbook's web browser, then he'll see that it clearly is not viable, and needs to develop an app for it.

7. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

Nah at least the Playbook is something, the Xoom is really NOTHING.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

EBuddy, a free app, does Facebook chat, without directly logging into Facebook. You do know that when you upload a pic to Facebook, they own the rights to it ?

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yeah. They can do whatever they want with my generic 'in a club/bar, holiday, etc' pics. :p

10. BurningJah macrumors regular

So something like with de webOS devices from HP? where you can see whats on the phone but it's not big enough and you can transfer it to the padthingy??

11. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

it's nice to know that a major corporation, the one holding the world's social network by the short and hairy, needs to resort to an adobe air app for functionality. amateur hour is upon is!

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So far with my iPad I have not seen the need for a dedicated FB app. It does pretty much what I need through Safari. Could a dedicated iPad app be a nicer experience, for sure....

13. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Photo Sync. Works great.

The official Facebook app sucks - I can barely use it. Photos uploaded from it and updates all go into my profile, not my wall, so no one ever sees it. There's no reason for this, it's just a crappy, crappy app. I have the exact same settings that my wife has and hers works fine. I don't trust they'll make a usable iPad app, either. So I'm fine using third-party apps since they DO work fine.

14. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm so tired of facebook. Another reason not to get the playbook in my opinion.

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

16. megsandbytes macrumors member

that's what I've always used, works great

17. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Like one other said; I'm sick of FB. It was cool at first. Now it's just annoying. I could care less that someone had eggs for breakfast, then went clam digging with their second cousins and has pictures of the event. It's made people with boring lives become self important. No one paid attention to them before, and now they have a platform...go away!

I may just get an iPad because it DOESN'T have an FB app! LOL!

18. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's what I was going to say. I think Friendly is a great app, and at least as good as the official FB app for the iPhone.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Facebook does not do TABLET apps. It made the software because FB considers the playbook an oversized phone.

Yup, iPad already has many tablet optimized apps for FB.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is why there's no FB app for the iPad. They consider the website to be the proper way to use FB on the iPad. As for the Playbook, apparently the website rendered so poorly that they had no choice but to make a separate app.

Thread should be titled, "Sorry. Playbook."

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

... except that it doesn't make phone calls.

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Hmm I think Facebook could potentially do a great app for tablets. It didn't seem like a long term exclusivity thing, so hopefully an iPad version isn't too far away.

Just a quick thought, after this supposed teaming up with Microsoft, wouldn't it be a massive coup if BlackBerry Messenger finds it way onto WM7?

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sorry, correction: Playbook is a crippled oversized phone wannabe. This explains:

24. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

This Zuck quote has been misconstrued out the ying yang. What Zuck meant with that comment was that the event he was speaking at had to do with strictly mobile phones, not tablets. He should have said, "the iPad isnt a mobile phone and has nothing to do with this event."

All of the iOS Facebook apps suck hard. All they are is a reskinned version of touch.facebook.com.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Friendly is great. Better than the website itself.