Official iPhone Bricked Post 1.1.1 Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrpeepers, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

We need an official thread on this since the people here, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361335, are whining that those of us that have unlocked phones may soon have a brick post updating. I, personally am not updating until I am sure that the update won't "brick" my phone or there's a solid fix for the update.

Here's an interesting article of someone staying with the current version of iPhone, http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=898

So lets post problems and solutions, or solutions that are being worked on, news, etc...

If your sole purpose is to come here to gloat, whine, preach about ethics, spare us and go elsewhere.

The iPhone DEV Team:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki

This site is being updated with more information too:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=898

More information here:
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123
    "Update: ArsTechnica has posted What does and doesn’t work with iPhone 1.1.1 and is editing it on the fly with what does and doesn’t work. As I mentioned above, I’m sticking to the sidelines until AppTapp installer is up and running on the new jive."

And here:
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8558

And here:
    http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8235

2. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I unlocked, but was planning to stay with ATT. The only reason I did this was because I travel abroad and need to use local sims. I have done this with every other phone I have owned. This is BS. Anyway, I am waiting to update until a solution is provide to fix the activation issues.

3. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone have a stories?

Of those of you that have UNLOCKED phones, who has updated their iPhone to 1.1.1? And of those that have, how many have phones that work and how many have phones that are useless?

Also, anyone have any work-arounds?

4. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Great thread!

I am not ever updating until they add some useful things like mass SMS, and the ability to delete multiple emails.

Some of the AT&T users are gloating that they can update and while others have bricked but I dont see the incentive to update. Wifi Itunes doesnt seem that compelling. This wait until Leopard attitude will likely yeild more of the same incremental improvement

I would hope the majority who unlocked their phone werent foolish enough to update without the DEV team's green light.

5. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Speaking of "Dev Team". What is their web site URL? Could you point me in that direction and I'll update the main post so the information is readily accessible?

6. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I dont think there's an official website, but much of their information and updates can be found on the hackint0sh forums.

7. robvia macrumors member

I haven't updated my iPhone yet and probably won't until they come out with a cool new App I want and I know the firmware works fine.

8. thisonechance macrumors regular

When attempting to update my unmodified/unhacked iPhone, I received the deaded 1603 error. I have tried restarting, resetting, and restoring. The phone now is stuck in an endless reboot cycle showing no more than the apple logo.

On a positive note, it gets really warm when it does this and works as a nice handwarmer.

I am taking it in tonight.

9. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

I never used the Software Unlock software. I did the command line version. Anyone out there that did the command line/scripts version have any troubles updating to 1.1.1?

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I didn't brick the phone, but the update "errored" at the beginning of the upgrade and then forced me to restore my iphone to factory settings which caused me to loose everything in the phone and start all over again. After that it applied the update ok, but everything on my phone was gone. :mad:

11. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I'm in your boat as well, I did the command line version. Hopefully someone has updated successfully.

I also added a post which says it will rewrite a 1.0.2 firmware's baseband back to normal

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361986

12. csrx macrumors member

I'm an at&t subscriber and I also unlocked using the .no command line method. All I hear is talk about the AnySim and iphoneSIMfree methods.

All browse around and try to find something.

13. iphoneord macrumors newbie

I bricked mine with the update

I did a restore thinking it would relock my phone I was wrong

I had my 14 day exchange policy still so I took out the sim and told them it locks up and freezes all the time they gave me a new one

So there you go steve your bricked iphone that you created with that dumb update back in your hands Thanks for my new Iphone

14. timmypv15 macrumors regular

you knew it might brick, its your fault, just be happy they warned you

15. headspace macrumors member

The DevTeam wiki page is here:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki

Last week, the progress bar at the top was completely green... sadly, now it's all back to red :( Still, it's a good way of checking their progress with 1.1.1. Here's hoping for success before Nov 9th!

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Has anyone attempted to go to an Apple Store and have them replace your phone. I'm an ATT customer but wanted to unlock it just cause I could. I figured if I go in there with an ATT bill to show I'd have no reason to unlock plus with my AppleCare on my phone they might hook me up.

I've been reading plenty of reports over on Gizmodo of people going into Apple and them replacing their phone no questions asked.

jon

17. cazlar macrumors 6502

Before you try, check if your IMEI is weird, or if it matches what is on the back of the phone. I've heard AT&T at least (not sure about apple) checks and
    if they are different, they will deny service. If it is different, apparently some people have managed to get it back to normal somehow, so it might be worth fiddling with it until it looks right before you attempt a return.

I'm still on 1.0.2, I feel bad for all those with bricks though.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm aware of the IMEI number and yes I do have the weird one. As far as I understand there isn't a way to get back the old IMEI number. I've also been reading reports of people getting the weird IMEI number who haven't done any hacks at all.

This trip will be a tossup, hopefully they will help me. I'm going to go in with my AppleCare, my ATT bill and play dumb. Even if they don't help me I'm not to worried, I'm sure the Dev Team will come with a fix.

jon

19. djkinetic macrumors regular

djkinetic

Getting Your Brick Replaced

This is more likely to work if you are within your 14 day exchange/return policy. Also applies to the incorrect sim error.

Make sure when you go into the Apple store you have your valid IMEI showing on screen with your ATT sim in. Act dumb..and just say last night you plugged the phone in like you normally do...and that you left to let it do its thing and when you came back you ended up with a brick. Tell the genius youve already spoke to Applecare and that youve been walked through the restore process. State you've visited ATT and that the rep has already tried to switch SIMs (It helps to have a spare ATT sim there with you..makes it more believable that youve tried everything in your power.) The most important thing is that the genius sees that your IMEI on screen matches whats on the back of your phone when you first bring the phone in. You can make sure this happens by starting your phone up without the SIM and once it is powered put your SIM back in, it should output the correct IMEI and not the bad blacklisted one, this worked for my phone at least, the only thing is when the genius at the store tries to restore the phone like they did for me, they may recheck the IMEI which you will then have the bad IMEI populated....so pray to your lucky stars that they dont recheck the IMEI after a reboot with the SIM in it. If it does happen you could try to argue that it wasnt like that before the genius updated and that he indeed saw the valid IMEI when you brought it in...therefore his updated of the phone may have changed something.... Of course your mileage may very. But being nice and polite helps and try to sound as convincing as possible. This worked for me and I walked out with a new non-bricked phone. Of course at the end of it all I felt very lucky to have pulled it off.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

21. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Why would you even risk trying to update an unlocked iPhone after apple warned? Just Curious!

I'm sure all the stockholders here are real happy that you are returning ibricks of your own making.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm a shareholder and I'm extremley happy. What won't help shareholders will be the negative publicity they will recieve for all these non usuable phones. It's also unfortunate the extreme measures I had to resort too in order to get my iPhone replaced.

A simple piece of software from Apple could have solved this whole mess.

jon

23. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Or you could have just not violated all the terms and never unlocked the darn phone. :rolleyes:

Its all Apple's fault.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Terms? You mean all those pages of legal jargon. If Apple is going to be dirty and brick my phone then I'm going to use dirty tactics to get it fixed.

jon

25. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Haha. Is this is legal jargon too?

"Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed."