Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
This is probably a silly question but... don't you have to be within a router's range to use the internet capabilities? So chances are you'd be near a computer if you're able to use the 3.5" screen for internet?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
This is probably a silly question but... don't you have to be within a router's range to use the internet capabilities? So chances are you'd be near a computer if you're able to use the 3.5" screen for internet?

'Near' meaning a couple of hundred feet in any direction, or possibly 'near' someone else's computer while not in possession of one of your own.

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
spent about 5 hours yesterday getting covers for all of my library. Its at 13GB or so right now. Hopefully it will look good on the Touch.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
spent about 5 hours yesterday getting covers for all of my library. Its at 13GB or so right now. Hopefully it will look good on the Touch.

13GBs in cover art? ! Hopefully you're getting the 16GB model, that way you'll have room for 1GB of music (with the final 2GB or so being taken up by the OS). :eek:

Edit -- sorry, I think I misunderstood. You're entire music library (including cover art) is probably 13GBs, not just the artwork alone.

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
13GBs in cover art? ! Hopefully you're getting the 16GB model, that way you'll have room for 1GB of music (with the final 2GB or so being taken up by the OS). :eek:

Edit -- sorry, I think I misunderstood. You're entire music library (including cover art) is probably 13GBs, not just the artwork alone.

Yeah...Library is 13GB.

MountainMMax

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Hey guys, I just ordered a new itouch, i wondered if it would work with my home 802.11g wireless router?

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
It's exciting! One of the reasons that I am getting the touch is because it has wifi. A couple years ago I said "when they make an ipod with internet, I will buy it as soon as it comes out". And, of course, the huge screen for viewing movies.

MountainMMax

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I thought it would, I was afraid after seeing the video that the high speed was only available at certain locations. Thank god, I love my ipod video but it's gonna have to take a back seat for the new one, and the longer battery life will be a bonus for me also, i hated only having about 2 hours of video on my old one....

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I just ordered my 16GB iPod Touch and I'm really excited! I can't wait to use the Wi-Fi and watch videos.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Google Maps

It would be nice to have the Maps app on the Touch. Instead of printing out driving instructions, one could load the instructions onto the Touch before leaving home and then use it on the road.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I just ordered an itouch too.
I've only had my ipod nano (1st gen) for just over a year now and the battery capacity is now halved. Is this the same with other ipods or iphones? Will my ipod touch become paperweight in 1-2 years time because the battery is not replaceable?

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
It looks like the "Official iPod touch forum" (actually a thread), is off to a great start with anything related to the iPod touch being posted anywhere but here:rolleyes:.

Borracho400

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
What I don't like is how people are complaining that there is not enough space on the Touch. I sold my 30 gb iPod in order to get the touch because I realized that I only listen to about 25% of my 3,000 song library. It doesn't hurt to sometimes change your songs on your iPod either and the same with movies. Who is going to carry around 25 movies and only be able to watch 2 because the battery life is no more than 5 hours? I just wish people would stop complaining....

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
For people that bought Touch, for how many WiFi and Safar as well as knowledge that more apps will follow was the deciding factor?

I don't think id buy it without wifi just to get larger screen and multi touch. I'd go for the classic 80GB.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Just saw this in the manual, wondering what everyone thinks the purpose of this is:

Deleting Videos from iPod touch

You can delete videos directly from iPod touch to save space.

Delete a video
In the Videos list, swipe left or right over the video, then tap Delete.
When you delete a video from iPod touch, it isn’t deleted from your iTunes library. You can sync the video back to iPod touch later. If you don’t want to sync the video back to iPod touch, set iTunes not to sync the video (see page 6).

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Just saw this in the manual, wondering what everyone thinks the purpose of this is:

It is proabley so that you can delete a video right after you watch it.

Let say you watch Superman on the bus ride home, you get done and think well I wont need to watch this again for a while. Well, you can delete it right away rather then have to remember to delete it when you get home. I am very forgetful and forget stuff like that. Essepeically since you cant add it to a to do list, as in TO DO: Delete superman

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
It is proabley so that you can delete a video right after you watch it.

Let say you watch Superman on the bus ride home, you get done and think well I wont need to watch this again for a while. Well, you can delete it right away rather then have to remember to delete it when you get home. I am very forgetful and forget stuff like that. Essepeically since you cant add it to a to do list, as in TO DO: Delete superman

I understand the usefulness of that, but it doesn't delete it from your iTunes, so what is the point? Next time you sync your iPod it will come back, unless you have it on manual, but then it is still potentially in your iTunes.

I guess you could load all your movies manually, and then it would delete them, I just don't understand why you need this functionality on-the-go. Personally, I would give up this feature to have the ability to add/edit calendar info and appointments...

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
I understand the usefulness of that, but it doesn't delete it from your iTunes, so what is the point? Next time you sync your iPod it will come back, unless you have it on manual, but then it is still potentially in your iTunes.

I guess you could load all your movies manually, and then it would delete them, I just don't understand why you need this functionality on-the-go. Personally, I would give up this feature to have the ability to add/edit calendar info and appointments...

If you want to buy an album through wifi itunes store but did not have enough space, you can just delete one of your videos. Good function.

Can't believe people still worry about calendar function.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
If you want to buy an album through wifi itunes store but did not have enough space, you can just delete one of your videos. Good function.

Can't believe people still worry about calendar function.

Good point, I couldn't think of something requiring more hard drive space on-the-go (besides maybe a lot of cache from Safari), but iTunes downloads would be just the thing.

As for calendar function, don't get me started.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
Question about iTMS

So we all saw you can purchase songs or albums on the go from the new wireless store, but I haven't seen any mention of buying videos or downloading podcasts or movies. Anybody heard or seen anything about it?

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
So we all saw you can purchase songs or albums on the go from the new wireless store, but I haven't seen any mention of buying videos or downloading podcasts or movies. Anybody heard or seen anything about it?

No, i asked that after the announcement and it seems like nobody knows. I'd love the ability to at least update podcasts on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.