Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
does anyone know of a free program that rips dvds and converts them to the 640X480 pixel ratio for the iPod touch? (a program that doesnt leave a watermark on the middle of the screen and actually works well.)

beaker26

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I would think no videos because they take up a good amount of space, and would take awhile to download. Say they get this video renting thing going though. You could be a work or class and pick a movie or tv show you want to watch on the bus ride home or subway and then could watch it on the way back and then delete when you're done with it all from the touch, that'd be sweet.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
it said it doesnt work with copy protected dvds

It does though, at least I've never had a DVD it's failed to rip.

nirvana06 said:
For people that bought Touch, for how many WiFi and Safar as well as knowledge that more apps will follow was the deciding factor?

I don't think id buy it without wifi just to get larger screen and multi touch. I'd go for the classic 80GB.

When I thought it'd be the touch with a large hard disk I was definitely going to buy, when it was released with a 16Gb capacity I heistated, for about a minute until I remembered the potential of installing all the iPhone apps :D
I'd say that was the dealbreaker for me. Or I'd be getting the 80Gb classic at £100 less. Luckily I literally just got told I'm getting a bonus!

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
It does though, at least I've never had a DVD it's failed to rip.

When I thought it'd be the touch with a large hard disk I was definitely going to buy, when it was released with a 16Gb capacity I heistated, for about a minute until I remembered the potential of installing all the iPhone apps :D
I'd say that was the dealbreaker for me. Or I'd be getting the 80Gb classic at £100 less. Luckily I literally just got told I'm getting a bonus!

Apparently you have to have another program that rips the dvd, idk i have the windows version and it keeps telling whenever I pull up video_TS that "Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source" this happened on 5 of my dvds

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
This is probably a silly question but... don't you have to be within a router's range to use the internet capabilities? So chances are you'd be near a computer if you're able to use the 3.5" screen for internet?

well what about if your in a whataburger or somewhere like that.. besides it has been said that in the next 1-3 years...wi-fi in restaurants will be as common as water in them.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I figure I'll post this in this "forum" ;) as it's not probably worth making a new thread about:

Anybody have any idea the average file size of a photo on the iPhone (and now touch)?

I'm asking because I'd like to get an idea of how many photos I'll be able to fit in about 1 gb which is what I'd be willing to spare for photos.

Also, does anybody who actually syncs photos onto their ipod/iphone/etc have any hints as to how to accomplish this the best? I have thousands and thousands of photos, many of them not in iPhone, but I'd really only like a small percentage of them... Thoughts/advice?

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
I figure I'll post this in this "forum" ;) as it's not probably worth making a new thread about:

Anybody have any idea the average file size of a photo on the iPhone (and now touch)?

I'm asking because I'd like to get an idea of how many photos I'll be able to fit in about 1 gb which is what I'd be willing to spare for photos.

Also, does anybody who actually syncs photos onto their ipod/iphone/etc have any hints as to how to accomplish this the best? I have thousands and thousands of photos, many of them not in iPhone, but I'd really only like a small percentage of them... Thoughts/advice?

I assumed that it syncs same files as you have on your computer. It does not change the size or convert them to anything. Keeps them in the same size and format.

At least thats what i thought was going on. Anybody?

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I assumed that it syncs same files as you have on your computer. It does not change the size or convert them to anything. Keeps them in the same size and format.

At least thats what i thought was going on. Anybody?

Well with previous iPods iTunes will give you the option of including the full resolution images, or just syncing resized images.

I don't want/need the full size images, so I'll just sync the iPod touch size versions. I'm mainly looking to get an idea of the average image size as is synced to the iPod touch (or iPhone, as nobody will have any idea of the touch yet obviously :)).

I'm also not sure the resolution, I'm assuming it may be larger than 480x320 because of the whole ability to zoom in and out, but perhaps not.

Thoughts?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
That iPod Touch manual dosent seem to be working anymore.... Anyone got another URL or can you attach it?

As soon as that iPod Touch comes out im a'gettin one. Just hope its hack-and-run-3rd-party-apps-on-it-able.

sherwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
I was really excited with the ipod touch because of the wifi feature. i agree that il be putting a few music / videos so 8gb or 16gb is more than enough for me. BUT i really want to add a note in the calendar and use my mail with the itouch.

is it worth going 16gb? or what if i jsut go get an iphone? can anyone give me expert advice? do you think i can install softwares into the touch? liek the iphone?

im actually contemplating going ipod touch + iphone hehe so i can listen to my music watch videos / do wifi without fearing for my battery to go empty :)

bmonzing

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I have an iPod touch

I got my iPod Touch early (last Wednesday) because they had them at the apple store! This will definitely tide me over for the iPhone until my contract w/ T-Mobile is up (I don't want to hack). The touch replaced my 60GB iPod.

It's a great device with plenty of storage even though I have about 60 GB of music/videos. I usually listen to podcasts or on shuffle anyway, so I created a 4 GB playlist of must-haves and filled the rest with a randomized smart playlist. The double-tap to access music controls while idle is essential; I use it all the time.

Unfortunately, the early software is a bit crashy when listening to music while surfing Safari. But when I first plugged in the Touch, I was asked if I wanted to send info to Apple, so I'm probably a paying beta-tester. They will likely update the iPod Touch software on the day of the "official" release (Sept 28, I believe).

Browsing via wi-fi is just fine for me. No need for EDGE because I live + work in downtown Seattle, and there are open networks pretty much everywhere. I am syncing my bookmarks with Safari from my MacBook, and this works pretty well, too. The only drawback is that you can't select specific folders, it syncs everything including "bookmarks toolbar" and "bookmarks menu." This is kind of annoying.

Videos and YouTube look great, too. And the wi-fi iTunes Music Store is up-and-running. I do wish YouTube would auto-launch when clicking on links in Safari, though.

It definitely needs the Notes app, and I would like to add Calendar events on the fly as well.

So that's my 2 cents (or dollars!). Let me know if you'd like any other info. I am, as you can see, excited and eager to share and/or help make buying decisions.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I was really excited with the ipod touch because of the wifi feature. i agree that il be putting a few music / videos so 8gb or 16gb is more than enough for me. BUT i really want to add a note in the calendar and use my mail with the itouch.

is it worth going 16gb? or what if i jsut go get an iphone? can anyone give me expert advice? do you think i can install softwares into the touch? liek the iphone?

im actually contemplating going ipod touch + iphone hehe so i can listen to my music watch videos / do wifi without fearing for my battery to go empty :)

You will be able to hack the Calender app off the iPhone soon and you can use Safari to login to your e-mail.

crashdiff

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
Thanks...

Thanks PowerFullMac for the cool hack links. I was waiting on payday to get my ipod touch until I found a possible way to get one free.

For those of you out there not wanting to invest the chunk of change for the sweet device check out this blog i just found http://www.sureitsfree.com They mention how to get one of these things for free.

Worth a look me thinks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.