Official Merom (Core 2 Duo) Launch on Monday?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
47,030
9,044


eWeek reported that PC manufacturers are expected to announce availability of new Core 2 Duo (Merom) notebooks on Monday August 28th.

The Core 2 Duo for notebooks, otherwise known by the code name "Merom," offers buyers a performance upgrade—an increase of about 20 percent, according to Intel—but holds power consumption to nearly the same level as its predecessor, the Core Duo.
According to Intel, the Core 2 Duo processors fit into existing notebook systems with only a system software update required to work. The new chips are to range from 1.66GHz to 2.33GHz. Apple is expected to join in with Core 2 Duo based Macs as early as September, according to early reports.

The next major upgrade to Intel's notebook design isn't expected until early 2007 with a new notebook platform named "Santa Rosa". Santa Rosa will combine the Core 2 Duo processors with new supporting chips as well as Intel's AMT (Active Management Technology) and Robson technology. Robson uses flash memory to improve startup times and to cache frequently used applications. Previous rumors have placed Robson technology in future Mac notebooks.

 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
I dont see much change really, the 1.66GHz merom chip will find its way into the mini (they'll scrap the solo model).

The 1.83 & 2.00GHz for iMacs (if they use merom) and MacBooks and the 2.16 and 2.33 for the 15 & 17 MBPs respectively. Its that simple.
 
F

freakonguitar

Guest
well...then maybe we will see a new macbook pro and possibly some other things in the next few weeks to come. :) but from some of the rumors, mermon has worse battery life and more heat than yonah :( ....which is too bad, cause we could use a cpu that gives at least just as good performance but less heat!
 

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
571
179
If the power consumption is the same... does that mean that the Merom and the current chips suck the same amount energy while going full throttle?

If the above is true, if you turned down the Merom to match the speed of the current chips, wouldn't the Merom be drawing 20% less power?

In other words if the Merom and the current chip were both going 60 mph down the freeway, would the Merom be drawing less power?

Am I missing something here (such as the basics of electricity, the basic way that chips work, etc.)?

512ke
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
daneoni said:
PowerBook G5 next tuesday?
Mildly funny when it first started, but my god is that an old joke.

In other news, Merom this, Merom that, just make sure you get it out on time Apple :p
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,197
286
Raleigh, NC
daneoni said:
The 1.83 & 2.00GHz for iMacs (if they use merom) and MacBooks and the 2.16 and 2.33 for the 15 & 17 MBPs respectively. Its that simple.
That doesn't make sense, marketing wise. If they do anything to the MacBooks and iMacs they would at least bump their speeds. It doesn't matter f the 2GHz Merom chip is faster than the 2GHz Yonah chip, the consumers don't give a crap about the chip... they want to see "them GHz numbers" go up.
 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
To be honest i dont really care anymore. As it is, im leaning away from Apple portables and moving to their desktops. Maybe just maybe if the 15" MBP sports a 16x DL superdrive, Magnetic latch Firewire 800 and maybe an extra USB port i may consider. But to be honest the MacPro is looking like a better candidate for me. My PB is fine my mobile computing needs, its time for a powerful workhorse thats more stable and reliable, namely, the MacPro
 

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
16,633
3,273
daneoni said:
I dont see much change really, the 1.66GHz merom chip will find its way into the mini (they'll scrap the solo model).

The 1.83 & 2.00GHz for iMacs (if they use merom) and MacBooks and the 2.16 and 2.33 for the 15 & 17 MBPs respectively. Its that simple.
Only problem with that is that a 2.33 GHz Merom chip will be fifty percent more expensive than a 2.16 GHz Yonah is today. So do you think Apple will increase prices of the MacBook Pro by $150 to $200 or reduce their profit?
 

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
1,583
1
California
512ke said:
If the power consumption is the same... does that mean that the Merom and the current chips suck the same amount energy while going full throttle?

If the above is true, if you turned down the Merom to match the speed of the current chips, wouldn't the Merom be drawing 20% less power?

In other words if the Merom and the current chip were both going 60 mph down the freeway, would the Merom be drawing less power?

Am I missing something here (such as the basics of electricity, the basic way that chips work, etc.)?

512ke
They'd draw the same power, but the Merom would be done faster at the same clock rate. So you use less power by taking less time to do your work. That and better power saving modes.
 

Ace25

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
37
0
new MacBooks

I am now pretty sure that new MacBooks are being released in the next few days.
I ordered one on the 17th of august and it was scheduled to ship on the 24th of august. Then for some reason it was bumped to a new ship date of august 31st, just enough time to drop a new merom processor in it!
 

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
787
12
Izmir, Turkey
512ke said:
If the power consumption is the same... does that mean that the Merom and the current chips suck the same amount energy while going full throttle?

If the above is true, if you turned down the Merom to match the speed of the current chips, wouldn't the Merom be drawing 20% less power?

In other words if the Merom and the current chip were both going 60 mph down the freeway, would the Merom be drawing less power?

Am I missing something here (such as the basics of electricity, the basic way that chips work, etc.)?

512ke
Maybe its just efficiency... As days past and R&D continues to evolve, chips will be more efficient and they'll produce more power for less energy..
 

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
16,633
3,273
DavidLeblond said:
That doesn't make sense, marketing wise. If they do anything to the MacBooks and iMacs they would at least bump their speeds. It doesn't matter f the 2GHz Merom chip is faster than the 2GHz Yonah chip, the consumers don't give a crap about the chip... they want to see "them GHz numbers" go up.
We are talking here about Macintosh buyers, not about idiots.

Just sell Merom as "64 bit", that's twice as much as "32 bit".
 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
DavidLeblond said:
That doesn't make sense, marketing wise. If they do anything to the MacBooks and iMacs they would at least bump their speeds. It doesn't matter f the 2GHz Merom chip is faster than the 2GHz Yonah chip, the consumers don't give a crap about the chip... they want to see "them GHz numbers" go up.
Well unless they use Conroe in iMac thats how it will be. They'll just tell you the new machines are using intel's new Core 2 Duo (64 bit computing) chips. Apple WILL differentiate their pro laptops so the 2.16 & 2.33 GHz combo is a given. Maybe, just maybe, they might bump the mini to 1.83 and 1.66 on its low end. The imacs will use 1.83 & 2.00 there is just no other option apparent to me because the 17" & 20" will also be differentiated. The macbooks may become 2.00GHz only across the board but even that route is questionable.
 

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
597
216
Reject Beach
gnasher729 said:
Only problem with that is that a 2.33 GHz Merom chip will be fifty percent more expensive than a 2.16 GHz Yonah is today. So do you think Apple will increase prices of the MacBook Pro by $150 to $200 or reduce their profit?
I believe the 2.33 GHz Merom chip debuted at the same price as the 2.16 GHz Yonah when it was released. The prices of MBPs certainly haven't fallen. Apple has just been enjoying the extra profits from Intel's price drops of the past few months.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,571
96
I'll believe it when I see it. Merom rumours have been flying for a long long time now. Not that it really concerns me anyway. Just hope its what you guys are anticipating
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
Clydefrog said:
same here! I just hope Sept 5th or sooner:D
I would hope within the first few weeks of September at least. I shipments Apple was supposed to receive from overseas will reportedly hit on the 5th of September. After that, it would seem that all Apple has to do is ship products to the resellers and their online warehouses and begin selling them. I'm thinking the merom MBP's will start shipping to coincide with the Paris Expo next month though.

Still, it's getting close. I went ahead and dropped some cash on my first .mac account/software. I just can't wait to start using it on my new merom MPB 2.33ghz 17".:cool: