Official Merom (Core 2 Duo) Launch on Monday?

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
phairphan said:
I believe the 2.33 GHz Merom chip debuted at the same price as the 2.16 GHz Yonah when it was released. The prices of MBPs certainly haven't fallen. Apple has just been enjoying the extra profits from Intel's price drops of the past few months.
At that time, Apple upgraded all MacBook Pros to the next faster chip without changing prices.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
There are 10 types of people in the world...

... those who understand binary and those who do not.

gnasher729 said:
Just sell Merom as "64 bit", that's twice as much as "32 bit".
64 bits is not twice as big as 32 bits.... it's 2^32 (roughly 4.3 billion) times as big. Just like 1000 is not twice as big as 10.

33 bits would be twice as big as 32 bits.

But yes, you're right, the important thing here is not that merom is 20% faster (or 20% more power efficient), it's that it's 64 bit.

Leopard will be 64 bit, and you can bet that once leopard is the shipping OS, there will be 64 bit only software that you will want to run. That's why it's worth having a Core 2 Duo system.

Cheers

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
joe8232 said:
I have just ordered a mbp :( It wasn't supposed to ship until Monday but it shipped early :( If the rumors are true will I be able to send it back and get the new one? Has anyone had any experience in returning unwanted stuff to apple as time is not on my side (leave for uni on the 16th Sept)
I never have but I hear it is pretty easy if you DON'T OPEN THE BOX.

hvsfl said:
The only change is likely to be the cpu. The rest of the MBP will probably be kept the same and if you look at the yonah vs merom benchmarks at places like AnandTech, it probably isn't worth sending it back.
It has been rumored that there might some minor changes to the computer such as easilly removable HD, differnt latch, as said above. But more importantly, I hope they bump the clock speeds and include 1GB RAM as standard on lowest MBP model for the same price.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Can someone briefly explain the huge benefits of Santa Rosa (in layman's terms) or post a link to a thread/description of it?

Much thanks.

YEMandy

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Could this mean an iMac update is coming soon as well? I ordered a loaded iMac two weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped yet. The estimated ship date is Aug. 28th with arrival on the 5th...

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
BlizzardBomb said:
In other news, Merom this, Merom that, just make sure you get it out on time Apple :p
...and with quality.

Enough of these crappy shortcuts and horific QA Apple; we're premium buyers. Or maybe you didn't notice how well Dell is doing nowadays.

Jon'sLightBulbs said:
You're screwing up, intel. We don't want 300 trillion transistors on a 1 nm die. We want longer battery life. Idiots.
Agreed. I still think Intel doesn't get it. Yes, faster is good. But Intel has been paying lip service to the 9 - 10 hour battery life for about a decade now.

gnasher729 said:
Only problem with that is that a 2.33 GHz Merom chip will be fifty percent more expensive than a 2.16 GHz Yonah is today. So do you think Apple will increase prices of the MacBook Pro by $150 to $200 or reduce their profit?
Wrong. Just wrong.

Google is your friend. Learn some facts before you post.

prady16 said:
Yippee.....
Definitely buying a MBP asap.....not gonna wait for santa rosa!
Me too. I am sure I could squeeze out another 9 months with my 17" PowerBook--which is less than 1 year old--but I think it's time to get with the future.

It's a pretty easy decision given how much faster the Intel Macs are.

StealthRider said:
Old, but still funny. A little :p
Only if you have no sense of humour! :p

Nothing would make me happier than for the new MacBook Pros to be shipping early next week. And with all of the quality issues worked out.

My expectations for the next generation 17" MacBook Pro:

2.33 Core 2 Duo
Better GPU
160gig HD
Higher quality displays. No more of this uneven backlighting crap.

My hopes:
Longer battery life
Get the power adaptor below 70 watts so we can use them on planes
Lower price

Hell, I'm buying whatever comes next. I just hope there are some solid spec bumps across the board.

And most importantly, I hope Apple fixes the crappy quality issues that have been plaguing their portable line all year.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
I vote Apple release a modified version of the Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro.

The only difference would be the words "Powerbook G5" under its screen, a change of the label on the box to "Dual 2.33 G5" and software that changes the actual name of the processor in System Processor to "IBM PowerPC G5 Dual 2.33".

This would make the IBM fanboys very happy, as they would think they had a G5 Powerbook, and therefore the wishes for "G5 Powerbooks next Tuesday" would hopefully stop.

Apple could sell them for five times the cost of a regular Macbook Pro, and get a healthy 20 grand profit off each sale for almost no effort on their part.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
j_maddison said:
Only if you have no sense of humour! :p
It's not really that.

It's just that the joke is soooo done. Played out.

It's time to turn the page.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Note: I believe I accidentally merged someone's (possibly a couple of people's) posts into BWhaler's post (3 above this post). Sorry. :eek:

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
BWhaler said:
It's not really that.

It's just that the joke is soooo done. Played out.

It's time to turn the page.
I never found it funnny in the first place. But then again I never found it funny a few years back when everyone was going around going WAAAZZZ UPPP! :eek: Cause it was on the budweiser advert :)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
I cannot believe that the iMac will continue to have a slower processor than the Macbook Pro. For years, the iMac has been about twice as fast as the leading Powerbook. I see no reason why Apple will not choose to put a "real man's" processor in what I would think is there most popular product (dismissing iPod). iMac deserves to retake the crown from Macbok Pro for speed in all areas, with CHEAPER components, ie. Conroe over Merom. And a decent GPU of course. In both.

I think it would be possible that Apple will rrefresh both Macbook Pro and iMac very soon, why not Tuesday? It would be nice to keep these two very comparable machines (at least at the moment) on par with each other.

After all, there is no shortage on Conroe, is there, and why else would they wait to release new iMacs? (unless iMacs get Merom too, in which case I'll be taking a quick trip to America, to find out just how much kidneys can be sold for on the black market, and how long a certain old man can survive without his.)

Conroe iMacs AND Merom MBP's on TUESDAY!

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
tf843364 said:
I happen to have a Yonah Macbook, and im a little concerned.
I wonder, if merom does make it into the Macbooks did i make a mistake by buying my computer before i had to (as in next friday is the cutoff)
I wonder if Merom is really that good. *it sucks that macbooks dont have PGA slots*
It'll just be a slightly faster chip with 64-bit (which won't get used until Leopard, and which most people will never need anyway).

The time you'll want to upgrade will be next year after Santa Rosa comes out with its faster FSB to really take advantage of the Core 2 chips. Intel calls these upcoming Meroms an "initial version," a stepping stone for current Yonah users. It'll be interesting to see if Apple does anything with the Robson flash.

That said, the current Core Duo Macs are still really fast and will continue to be so next year, running Leopard fine. I've got no regrets. I expect my iMac to last me for at least a few years.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Erasmus said:
I cannot believe that the iMac will continue to have a slower processor than the Macbook Pro. For years, the iMac has been about twice as fast as the leading Powerbook. I see no reason why Apple will not choose to put a "real man's" processor in what I would think is there most popular product (dismissing iPod). iMac deserves to retake the crown from Macbok Pro for speed in all areas, with CHEAPER components, ie. Conroe over Merom. And a decent GPU of course. In both.

I think it would be possible that Apple will rrefresh both Macbook Pro and iMac very soon, why not Tuesday? It would be nice to keep these two very comparable machines (at least at the moment) on par with each other.

After all, there is no shortage on Conroe, is there, and why else would they wait to release new iMacs? (unless iMacs get Merom too, in which case I'll be taking a quick trip to America, to find out just how much kidneys can be sold for on the black market, and how long a certain old man can survive without his.)

Conroe iMacs AND Merom MBP's on TUESDAY!
not trying to start a war or anything but...isn't that what the mac pro is for? isn't the iMac considered consumer grade while the mbp is considered professional grade??? i think it is badass that the mbp is faster than the imac.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Bakey said:
What by the years end? That we stop reading the same "PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!" non-starting done-to-death joke?? :rolleyes: :p
No kidding. That's getting really tired now. It's the new "first post" carp we used to have to deal with a while back.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
jsw said:
Note: I believe I accidentally merged someone's (possibly a couple of people's) posts into BWhaler's post (3 above this post). Sorry. :eek:
jsw, thanks for merging my postings.

Didn't mean to spam the thread. (Just wasn't thinking...)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I'm Really hoping for a new iMac this Tues. But I might jump on a Core 2 Duo mini if they offer that instead...

Anyone have any idea if they'll be using "laptop chips" in the iMac and mini still - or if they'll move the iMac to a "desktop" chip instead?

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hvfsl said:
The only change is likely to be the cpu. The rest of the MBP will probably be kept the same and if you look at the yonah vs merom benchmarks at places like AnandTech, it probably isn't worth sending it back.
I'm sure the GPU will also be bumped, at the very least. The MBP will probably also see some things that the MB has like a user-removable hard drive and magnetic latch. The CPU and GPU alone make it worth getting the new one, IMO.

Also, I'll say it one last time (yea right) - the imac should not and will not get a mobile processor. It only got Yonah because there was no alternative. It had a real desktop processor when one was available on the PPC side (G5), and it will have a real desktop processor now that one is available on the intel side (Conroe). Leave merom for what it was meant for - laptops.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
tekmoe said:
not trying to start a war or anything but...isn't that what the mac pro is for? isn't the iMac considered consumer grade while the mbp is considered professional grade??? i think it is badass that the mbp is faster than the imac.
Yes, but Conroe processors are less expensive than Merom for faster clocks, faster bus speeds, but increased power consumption, but considering iMacs used to house G5's, and they don't rely on battery power, Conroe is the logical choice for the iMac.

Obviously the MBP should get the 2.16 and 2.33 Ghz Meroms, as you couldn't put a Conroe in one, but the MBP should not limit the speed of the iMac, just because it's not "Pro", and I would personally consider the iMac at least "semiPro" because it is damn fast. I've said before that there is much too much of a price and capability gap between iMac and Mac Pro, which could easily be filled with a "Pizza Box" or more likely, and probably more favourable in my opinion, a "fullPro" larger version of iMac (upgradeable of course) which I designate iMac Ultra, cos it's a cool name.

There are good gradients between Mac Mini and iMac, MB and MBP, but not between iMac and MP.

An appropriately maxed (RAM and GPU) 20" iMac costs AU$3169.
A "comparable" MP (20" ACD, 2Ghz, 2Gb RAM) costs AU$5148

That's 60% more. Enough to buy a Macbook to take to Uni. Apple needs a ~AU$4000 option to fill the gap, ie. with a bigger screen, upgradeable, better GPU, better CPU, and I will be very happy. :rolleyes:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
QCassidy352 said:
I'm sure the GPU will also be bumped, at the very least. The MBP will probably also see some things that the MB has like a user-removable hard drive and magnetic latch. The CPU and GPU alone make it worth getting the new one, IMO.

Also, I'll say it one last time (yea right) - the imac should not and will not get a mobile processor. It only got Yonah because there was no alternative. It had a real desktop processor when one was available on the PPC side (G5), and it will have a real desktop processor now that one is available on the intel side (Conroe). Leave merom for what it was meant for - laptops.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But, I guess they COULD have put a pentium d in them...didnt they have dual cores?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Just Hope Apple Joins The Rest Of The Manufacturers In This Mass Announcement

I Just Hope Apple Joins The Rest Of The Manufacturers In This Mass Announcement. I'm afraid they won't due to EGO problems. :rolleyes: In this case, I wish they wouldn't "Think Differently".

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Multimedia said:
I Just Hope Apple Joins The Rest Of The Manufacturers In This Mass Announcement. I'm afraid they won't due to EGO problems. :rolleyes: In this case, I wish they wouldn't "Think Differently".
Agreed. That is a worry I share as well. I can't imagine why they would wait, but part of me thinks they garner some sort of perverse pleasure in making people sick with excitement over new announcements, releases, and upgrades. Making us wait longer than anyone else, especially considering Dell USA is now offering Core 2 Duo systems for sale on their website, wouldn't shock me too much unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong though. I wants my MBP Merom!