Official unlock of jailbroken iPhone....is it possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by serverplads, Oct 6, 2010.

1. serverplads macrumors member

Hi there. I was just wondering whether an official unlock would work on an already jailbroken iPhone. My old iPhone (1G) is still around and has been jailbroken. Since it is quite old now I can of course get it official unlocked from my carrier. My question is whether it is possible on an jailbroken phone or do I have to restore it back to its original state? Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No you won't get an unlock for your 1st Gen. Apple will not give it to you, ever. This is in the US mind you, other countries have varying policies.

3. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Ok, sorry! Must be 2nd Gen. Then. Bought in the UK from Apple when o2 were the only carrier. I know I can get it for free, but the question is whether I will have to restore so it is not jailbroken before it will work.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes once 02 officially unlocks it you will have to restore it in order for the change to go in effect. But the iPhone 2G is so easily jb and unlocked why not go the software unlock way.

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

No you don't have to restore your phone. Phone up your carrier, ask for the unlock and after a day or two sync your phone with iTunes. It will unlock it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm not 100% but I thought it needed a restore not just a sync thru iTunes.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Nope, when I had my phone unlocked it was just a sync later that day. A restore is unnecessary, the iTunes server just sends the key to unlock the baseband.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, good to know.
    But not like AT&T will unlock my iphone any time soon:D

9. serverplads thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! But still, do I have to restore it before I get it unlocked? As far as I know the jailbreak change your baseband! Don’t know about the IMEI, but remember reading about that as well a long time ago!

10. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

No you will be fine they will just unlock it for you even though its jailbroken