Official Unlocked iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPNarwhal, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So, this might be a dumb question.
    I know there are factory unlocked iPhones that you can buy for a premium price. But I would like to know if iPhone's become unlocked after your warranty is ended for the phone?

I'm assuming not, although I think it would make a lot of sense if an iPhone 4 was only locked for the time you're stuck in a contract.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not.
    Warranty has nothing to do with the phone being locked to a specific carrier or not.
    Some carriers will unlock the iphone after the contract is up or after a certain amount of time. Some charge a fee others dont.
    In the US none of the carriers will officially fully unlock an iphone to be used on any carrier.

3. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Nope.

When I asked AT&T if they sold unlocked phones, the answer was a straight out "no."

If you want to buy unlocked phones you can buy them on the US apple store or eBay.

A phone being locked/unlocked is due to hardware, not software. If you sign up with a carrier in, say Hong Kong, the phone is unlocked too.

I don't understand why iPhones has to be locked when you sign up with a contract with any carrier in the united states.

4. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

That's what I figured.

Alrighty, thank you guys.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Ironically, at&t is willing to unlock other phones after you've finished your contract, but they're still acting like republicans about the iphone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T are republican:D