Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
hmm..i think they'll release it when it's ready..perhaps a week even before june 11. I mean..they have plenty of stuff going on then to release that they don't need to wait if it's already ready. At the same time, if lepoard really does come out june 11, your going to probably wait anyways until it ships with it.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
so do you think apple will redesign the macbook alot? just thinking. it'll be one year since the last design update. any ideas on what they will do to it?
Unless Apple are planning an across-the-board design overhaul, the MacBook will be the last of the current crop to be given a redesign - it's the newest, and if you ask me, the best of the current lot.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
so do you think apple will redesign the macbook alot? just thinking. it'll be one year since the last design update. any ideas on what they will do to it?

I dont know about macbook redisign but I sure hope they would not change a lot in MBP. I'm also waiting fot SR+Leopard to get one and I love the design. LED screen and redisig keybord thats all I really would like to see. Also SSD as an option would be nice:rolleyes:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Well, I set a challenge before, and some guy PM'ed me (just posting would have been easier, but whatever) a list of computers with the 2.33GHz Merom inside. Apparently Sony uses them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...26 1039806694&page=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=T7600

So what do you guys think? Should I withdraw my comment about Apple not being afraid to use expensive parts?

I might add that they all use lower res screens than the MBP.

The last one looks interesting. A 256MB Go 7600??? And it's the cheapest there, at US$1800??? Sounds dodgy.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I dont know about macbook redisign but I sure hope they would not change a lot in MBP. I'm also waiting fot SR+Leopard to get one and I love the design. LED screen and redisig keybord thats all I really would like to see. Also SSD as an option would be nice:rolleyes:

I don't like the MB keyboard. I think it looks ugly. Far more practical and robust than the MBP keyboard (which I assume is the same as the old powerbooks), but I just hate it. Even just bezeling off the edges of the buttons would make it look better. Sure, a redesigned MBP keyboard would be nice, to make it more robust, but don't just put a MB keyboard in it.

And what's SSD???

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
A solid state drive (SSD, also called solid state disk), you can read more..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_disk

I agree that maybe MB keybord would not fit MBP too much, well would look uterly ugly :p but for whatever reason I prefer typing on it..

Aah. Flash hard disk. I don't think so on the MBP. Maybe on the MB, probably next year. Maybe on MBP's when they hit 128 or 256 GB capacity.

EDIT: After reading article: I didn't know you could get Flash drives for laptops bigger than 32GB. Perhaps Apple will offer a 64 or a 128 in the MB this year? Although I don't think it will be in SR rev. Maybe Penryn? And MBP in Nehalem. Hopefully MBP will get user replaceable HDD, so if we want we can stick in a 4TB SSD when they are available next year (joke)

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Well, I set a challenge before, and some guy PM'ed me (just posting would have been easier, but whatever) a list of computers with the 2.33GHz Merom inside. Apparently Sony uses them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...26 1039806694&page=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=T7600

So what do you guys think? Should I withdraw my comment about Apple not being afraid to use expensive parts?

I might add that they all use lower res screens than the MBP.

The last one looks interesting. A 256MB Go 7600??? And it's the cheapest there, at US$1800??? Sounds dodgy.

But.. but... but... those listed machines do not come with expensive parts like that $10 to manufacture remote control! Or that 0.50 per unit cost IRDA receiver! Or frivolous features like Bluetooth that nobody uses! Or that fabulous aluminum casing that dents if you so much as drop your padded bag the wrong way... or just go through airport security! Real Mac users drive everywhere in their Aston Martins, even to Europe through the ocean! Think different! Cars travel on water too!

Oh yes, and they do not come with MacOS X, the leading operating system that is worth $10,000,000,000 in value. Don't be misled by the $129 boxes you see in Apple stores, those are upgrade versions, you need to own a base copy (of $10,000,000,000 in value, but only available with Macs at a fraction of the cost) to be able to legally install the $129 copies!

There I just deflected it for you :rolleyes:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
But.. but... but... those listed machines do not come with expensive parts like that $10 to manufacture remote control! Or that 0.50 per unit cost IRDA receiver! Or frivolous features like Bluetooth that nobody uses! Or that fabulous aluminum casing that dents if you so much as drop your padded bag the wrong way... or just go through airport security! Real Mac users drive everywhere in their Aston Martins, even to Europe through the ocean! Think different! Cars travel on water too!

Oh yes, and they do not come with MacOS X, the leading operating system that is worth $10,000,000,000 in value. Don't be misled by the $129 boxes you see in Apple stores, those are upgrade versions, you need to own a base copy (of $10,000,000,000 in value, but only available with Macs at a fraction of the cost) to be able to legally install the $129 copies!

There I just deflected it for you :rolleyes:

Aah. OK, so I was right. Apple do use expensive parts! My mistake for ever doubting them.

So, yeah, in all seriousness (completely ignoring iW00t of course), Apple's computers are competitively priced for what they are. They might be at a couple of hundred premium on the basic specs, but for that you get better software, a light, small computer, excellent battery life, a solid feeling, sexy looking computer, etc. Sure, there are computers that have better batery life, there are computers that are faster, there are computers with better screens, there are lighter computers, and there are cheaper computers. But I don't think there are any that are all that at once. Apple makes well rounded computers, and obviously everyone here agrees to some level, otherwise you wouldn't be waiting for a Santa Rosa MB or MBP.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Aah. OK, so I was right. Apple do use expensive parts! My mistake for ever doubting them.

So, yeah, in all seriousness (completely ignoring iW00t of course), Apple's computers are competitively priced for what they are. They might be at a couple of hundred premium on the basic specs, but for that you get better software, a light, small computer, excellent battery life, a solid feeling, sexy looking computer, etc. Sure, there are computers that have better batery life, there are computers that are faster, there are computers with better screens, there are lighter computers, and there are cheaper computers. But I don't think there are any that are all that at once. Apple makes well rounded computers, and obviously everyone here agrees to some level, otherwise you wouldn't be waiting for a Santa Rosa MB or MBP.

Of course, I do agree that Apple's laptops are really hard to beat. What I do hope to see is more BTO options so we can just avoid getting components that we don't need.

I'd gladly trade away the BT transponder for a higher resolution (and better) screen for one thing. I am sure many here would do the same too. And of course, 3 year warranty should be standard for a manufacturer of Apple's calibre.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Of course, I do agree that Apple's laptops are really hard to beat. What I do hope to see is more BTO options so we can just avoid getting components that we don't need.

I'd gladly trade away the BT transponder for a higher resolution (and better) screen for one thing. I am sure many here would do the same too. And of course, 3 year warranty should be standard for a manufacturer of Apple's calibre.

OK, I'll agree with all that. But bluetooth is very useful, ie. wireless mouse. But I understand, and agree with the underlying point.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
OK, I'll agree with all that. But bluetooth is very useful, ie. wireless mouse. But I understand, and agree with the underlying point.

It is useful, no doubt, but when it is offered with midrange consumer models that do not come with a discrete GPU (that'd open MORE options for the machine) it really does makes you wonder.

The trackpad is fantastic as it is on both the Macbook and Macbook Pro, and if I need a mouse I will pack one of those tiny notebook mice. Why bother with a mouse that requires batteries, and is bulky to boot? I never understood this part.

demuire

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
Ipswich, QLD Australia
Hmm, now with Leopard delayed till October, I'm guessing new MB's won't be out till then either (since they were the last released, and therefore probably the least due for replacement - plus the MBP's usually come out first).

So my predictions? MBP in June/July, MB in October. I can't see Apple releasing a new MB with Tiger between July and October, really.

Bummer. So should have bought back in January like I initially planned to... Problem is, the more I wait, the more it seems worth it to wait more... :( October it is then.

CV4

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I seriously hope they release a new MBP before August, or I, along with others who are going to university and need a laptop, are going to be in a tight spot.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Hmm, now with Leopard delayed till October, I'm guessing new MB's won't be out till then either (since they were the last released, and therefore probably the least due for replacement - plus the MBP's usually come out first).

So my predictions? MBP in June/July, MB in October. I can't see Apple releasing a new MB with Tiger between July and October, really.

Bummer. So should have bought back in January like I initially planned to... Problem is, the more I wait, the more it seems worth it to wait more... :( October it is then.

Ah well. If MBPs are released at WWDC, and MBs are not, then that's an excellent excuse for me to justify buying an MBP over an MB.

(Hmmm... Grammar question. Should it be "a MBP" or "an MBP"? I suppose it depends on how you read it... "an Em Bee Pee" versus "a Macbook Pro". Whoa, I can't believe I actually typed this!)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
go with "the"

It solves all problems. :)

Good point.

I want the Santa Rosa MBP. (Doesn't sound quite right, but it's good enough (in fact, it's a bit of a non-issue, because "a Santa Rosa MBP" sounds fine (here I go again) Or does it? *cries*))

I wonder what Leopard being delayed means for iLife? Could it be that iLife '07 will be released at WWDC in June on my new MBP? Or will it be iLife '08 in October?

I mean, I imagine I won't get a copy of iLife from joining the ADC...

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
NVidia???

I hope this wasn't already asked--I didn't read ahead--but is there any chance Apple will use the new NVidia mobile gfx chips/cards? I forget their name now, but I think it is supposed to be released soon.

There have been many arguments about this before, but for me, the answer is no. There are plenty of "high end" mobile graphics cards. The X1600 only eats about 17W (an obscure reference I found after a lot of googling that may be true, or not). Any other graphics card that has a higher performance is going to chew through a lot of juice. I think we can expect a minimum of 50W for the X2600 (found in Wikipedia), but they could be desktop versions. The GDDR2 version of the X2600 is supposed to pull like 75W. The GDDR4 version is more like 130W. If ATI don't bring out cards that are under, say, 30W, I would think it is unlikely that Apple will put them in the MBP. Maybe in the 24" iMac though, and certainly in the Mac Pro.

We can only hope that ATI releases a mobile version of the X2600, or even the X2300, with a decent TDP, in time for Apple to use it in the next MBP revision. Only then will the X1600 really be replaced.

warfa

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
SD
hmm

so how sure are we that apple will release new MBP with santa rosa by june? because i was going to wait till then but now with leapard delayed, i'm thinking maybe i should go n purchase one in an hour or so :)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I hope this wasn't already asked--I didn't read ahead--but is there any chance Apple will use the new NVidia mobile gfx chips/cards? I forget their name now, but I think it is supposed to be released soon.

Sure, why not? Apple uses Intel, Intel competes with AMD, AMD buys ATI, nVIDIA allied with no-one, releasing new GPUs in a few days... I suppose that logic could work.

But I don't think so. I don't think Intel are stupid enough to put any kind of pressure on Apple to not use AMD's graphics cards. They would probably be happier if Apple did use AMD GPUs because it spreads the image that they are happy to compete with other manufacturers, they have nothing with which to compete, as they don't make dedicated GPUs, AMD really aren't that much of a threat at the moment, and if Intel did put pressure on, Apple could always move to AMD, which would welcome them with open arms.

Other than this, I think AMDs graphics cards will be much better than nVIDIAs, and should definitely use less power, as they are apparently being made on a 65nm process, rather than the 80nm process the 8600's are probably going to be on.

Also, AMD are supposed to be releasing X2900XTX all the way through to low end, plus high to low end mobile GPUs (My X2600) at the same time. I don't know if nVIDIA are doing this too, they might, I don't know.

Yeah, so it's possible, but I don't think so. Apple will use whatever is best.

I also withdraw my comment about the X2300. iW00t has alerted me to the fact that it is quite spectacularly crap. Like much worse than the X1600 presently in the MBP.

And in terms of integrated graphics, Apple will probably always use Intel.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Wait Just a Little Longer

I would recommend waiting until at least May 8. If no books by then, then don't count on it until Sep/Oct. My guess is that Apple will either release the SR with Merom update or skip it entirely and jump to Penryn which is slated for the end of the year. Apple's decision may be perhaps based on more specific information about Penryn's ship date now that Leopard is delayed.

so how sure are we that apple will release new MBP with santa rosa by june? because i was going to wait till then but now with leapard delayed, i'm thinking maybe i should go n purchase one in an hour or so :)

demuire

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
Ipswich, QLD Australia
Heh, maybe, just maybe - Apple has seen the huge "let's wait for SR + Leopard in June" following, and noticed that oh-noes-nobody-is-buying-all-our-leftover-macs, so they've released this press release so that people would give up waiting and just go buy a mac now.

... and then at WWDC they'll release Leopard and say "Good news everyone, we wrapped up early, here is Leopard, and here are the new SR macs"

:)

*dreams on*

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
I actually did just go buy my new Macbook today, but I actually didn't see the Leopard delay until just now. That wasn't a factor for me anyway though because I'll be buying the Leopard family pack for our other Macs anyway.

Gallick

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Well damn.

The Leopard delay put a bit of a damper on my Macbook plans--but I still think the line is going to be updated with Santa Rosa chips in May or June, so I think once that happens, I'll be getting my Macbook.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Heh, maybe, just maybe - Apple has seen the huge "let's wait for SR + Leopard in June" following, and noticed that oh-noes-nobody-is-buying-all-our-leftover-macs, so they've released this press release so that people would give up waiting and just go buy a mac now.

... and then at WWDC they'll release Leopard and say "Good news everyone, we wrapped up early, here is Leopard, and here are the new SR macs"

:)

*dreams on*

You are absolutely right about this. Apple wants people to buy up used macs. People were waiting for leopard before pulling the trigger. Now people will buy a mac- who wants to wait till October? But by then, Leopard will make heavy use of new features on the new MB/MBP (maybe multitouch/touchscreen?). Now you buy a SECOND mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.