Oh 32GB iPhone, where art thou?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wherefore art thou 32GB iPhone?

I sit here with your 8GB cousin. "Oh, I can deal," I thought when I scooped it up. Surely I can live comfortably within 8GB if I just manage my music right. Well, actually 7.08GB, but who's counting?

Then you come out with your fancy App Store. And I can sync photos on the phone. I only have 5GB in my iPhoto Library. Ah, and you tempt me with the "best video iPod ever" mish mash. Darn you videos for looking so good!

So I sit here, little 8GB iPhone, with so much to use and so little space to do it in. Even when I tried to jam that DVD into your earphone jack, you resisted.

iPhone, you must grow. What do we want? (32GB iPhone!) When do we want it? (TIMMY!!!!)

Surgeon general's warning: don't let journalists post at 4:40 in the a.m. after a long Friday night. They go muy loco.

2. pkagel macrumors regular

I'm with you. I have a 32g Touch and 16g 3G. What I'd love is a 64g 3G. I only have 10g left on my Touch because I left half my music off of it to make room for apps.

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

LOL at the first post! :D

It will be out when the 64GB touch is.

TIMMY!!! (South Park FTW!!!)

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

It's called space management. Considering the clamshell iBooks had less total space.

I hope you're a photographer. 4:40 "in the" a.m. :eek:

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It dosent matter what Randman says, its just a computer generated message :D

6. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Ok, well.....

I'm doing just fine with 16GB, though 32GB or 64GB would be nice....

7. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I need a 32 gig iPhone so I can fit my 22 gigs of music

8. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That was a reference to "The Ladies Man." On the SNL skits, I think his radio show was always on at "foh-fohty in the a.m."

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I would imagine we'll see it about Feb.

Phazer

10. one1 macrumors 65816

My 16 is more than enough. If I "need" 32gb of music and video (apps don't use much room) then I need to walk my butt in a best buy and plop down a few bones for a 120gb pod (which I have done).

I've managed to get the entire season one and two of Squidbillies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force as well as 1000 songs and 134 apps on my 16gb. Any more than that much media on a PHONE is just excessive (like 16gb isn't excessive already).

Sure it would be nice to have the ability, but nobody should NEED that space on a phone. iPod will cover your media library, phones should be for on the go stuff for the day. It's like a car.... Sure I'd like a car with a trunk space big enough to fit half my life in, but I'm only going to be gone for a day, couple if I have to take a quick trip. I don't need the whole house in my temporary day to day life outings.

I will however jump on the 64gb iPhone in a year or so when they drop it since I can justify putting enough on it to eliminate my pod.

11. kolax macrumors G3

12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that the touch achives the 34GB by having 2 flash chips inside it. The iphone isn't able to do this because of the 'phone' internals. So I think until we see a similar spec single chip that won't render the iphone completely too expensive then we will have to wait

I personally don't see it as a product phasing thing at the moment

D:apple:

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The chip manufacturers have already launched a 32GB chip.

Phazer

14. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It's the only thing I am really waiting for before buying a 3G iPhone...

15. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

well when apple advertises the iPhone as "the best ipod we've ever made", i would expect people, like myself, get the impression that they will no longer need an iPod because this is a convergence device.
    however with the limiting capacities, a "normal" person has more music than the iPhone can store.

So when i see that title, i expect everything to fit inside. Some of us only like carrying one device around for all of our needs.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

For me that is waaaay off. I have around 90GB in songs (all in 320 AAC), around 40GB in videos (that I could live without - on my iPod/iPhone at least) and around 5 GB in pics (iPhone version space).

I would absolutely love a 128GB iPhone but I think this will be in 2012-2013. :(

17. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Dude, seriously, how can you have many songs?!

18. kolax macrumors G3

Rough calculation, I'd estimate 9,600.

19. pkagel macrumors regular

The 16gig wasn't really a problem before I went on the road here. I'm going to be away from my computer for about 2 months so I had to make sure to sync with enough room to add extra songs, apps, pictures, ect. I'm just really glad I left 10 gig free on my touch before I left. All told, this life on the road is not all it's cracked up to be no matter what they are paying me. It's like being back in the Navy, well, except nobody yelling at me, good food, nice bed, great money and the ability to call home every day. Yep, just like the Navy, except those things, lol.

20. Tosser macrumors 68030

You should try having all your music and non-podcast audio in lossless (FLAC/ALAC) and uncompressed BWF @24bit/48kHz. I have hundreds upon hundreds of gigabytes.

I'm future–proofed, though

– I just checked: In podcasts alone I have 68 gigs. Many of those are radio dramas, radio documentaries and so forth – I'm not about to delete them.

21. sal macrumors 6502

when the original 8gb iphone came out. I waited patiently in the sidelines. I knew 8gb wasn't enough.

rev 2 came out. Much cheaper and size increase to 16gb. I bought one right away

iphone 3g came out and the size wasn't increased. I am waiting in the sidelines yet again.

My guess is iphone 3G v2 will have a 32gb version. although 16gb is enough for my music needs, I mainly need a 32gig version to load it up with more movies.

22. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

The original iPhone came out in June in 4gig and 8 gig.

Then in Feb (after the 4 was ousted and the 8 dropped in price) the iPhone was updated to 8gig and 16gig.

The new iPhone came out this time in July.

Following this progression, I assume the 32 gig will come out sometime in first quarter 09.

23. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

The last sentence pretty much sums it up. Sure, I could go buy a 120GB iPod to carry all of that stuff in. But why? I don't want to carry two devices. That was the whole point behind an iPhone. I get the technological limitations behind it topping at 16GB, which is why my original post was more for entertainment than anything else.

But I'm just dying to get back all that storage space I had on my 30GB iPod I bought 2 years ago. I have been encoding DVDs at full size and a decent bitrate, so I need a lot of space to save videos.

Oh yeah, the "old" iPods are now unbearable to me. The iPhone/iPod touch OS/interface is just way too awesome to just use a click wheel to maneuver through.

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

10,126 to be exact. But you were pretty close.

Yeah, I have them in Lossless on my external as a backup. It just sucks for use on an iPod.

25. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Someone could easily say you don't need your 8 or 16 GB and that you could easily get by with only 2 GB.

I don't want to carry a separate iPod and an iPhone. Plus, I like having multiple medical programs on my iPhone. I'm holding out for a 32GB version because I want to load all my music on the iPhone. Do I need it? No. Would it be nice? Yes. Just like you don't need anything more than 1 GB.