Oh dear, i see the iPhone 4 has that oleophobic coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tungstentim, Jun 16, 2010.

1. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

reading the specs of the iphone 4, I see that it's got the oleophobic front and back. What do you think abut putting on screen protectors, doesn't that defeat the object in the first place?
    Tim

2. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Screen protector for what? To protect against your sharp beard?

The screen is GLASS. Screen protectors are a waste of money. I've owned every iPhone since 2007 and I've never had even the slightest scratch on any screen. And that includes one iPhone that I dropped on asphalt.

Mark

3. michael31986 macrumors 68030

hmm i never thought about that. wasnt there a problem with this coating on the 3gs. like over time something would happen to it.

4. CJayC macrumors 6502

Unless glass is a euphenism for nanodiamond, it can be scratched.

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, over time it will wear off and then it will be a normal glass screen without the coating.

6. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Had an iPhone for 2 years, dropped it, had it in with keys in a bag and never scratched the screen. Understanding is the new iPhone will have a tougher screen, and back. Should be no need for one.

7. michael31986 macrumors 68030

wont some parts get the coating off faster then other parts. for example if u touch the phone more in one section the other.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's not going to cause you issues unless you use chemical glass cleaners on it to rub off the coating.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That amazes me. I had my 3G for just a few weeks before I had somehow managed to scratch the screen from just keeping the phone in my pocket!

10. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I've got a launch iPod Touch (was free from Steve in fact!!) and although I did protect the back I didn't bother with the front, the front is no longer perfect by any means but I've never had a device for this long that has such good build quality, my most recent phone is only 18 months old and the case that Nokia supplied with it has left loads of marks on the screen!

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, that is true, but it's not noticeable from the eye. Your screen won't look uneven or anything.

Sand is very hard and can easily scratch glass. I think this is the case with a lot of people getting scratches on their phone while in their pocket.

12. rywat macrumors member

Is there a way to tell if the coating has come of or is wearing off? The reason I ask is because I've had my 3gs since soon after launch and the screen still feels just like new, as far as I can tell. Especially in comparison to my wife's 3g which has kind of a sticky feel to it. I don't use a screen cover or anything, and I am a very heavy user.

13. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Yea that's true. Even though people think there is no sand in their pockets, there is in fact enough to cause micro scratches. After time having many of these scratches it will become noticeable.
    I think spending less than $20 is worth having a barrier b/w the glass and the world.

14. DataRiff macrumors member

DataRiff

Omg, I love your sign off! I survived too!

15. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I have most definitely scratched my screen on every iphone model. i will be adding a front and back protector and bumpers.

16. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

This is bull. Though I prefer the phone without one, I had one because I knew I'd sell this for the iPhone 4 once it came out.

Had a screen protector on my 3gs from day 1, sold on CL in an hour for 350. My partner's has a scratch on the side of the glass, small scratches from having slid on gravel and no one wants to bite on this one.

My 20 dollar protector was definitely not a waste of money. It's getting me a free iPhone 4.

17. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

well aren't you Mr. Perfect..

I beleive in screen protectors, I am a photographer and often toss lens caps in my pocket in the heat of the moment, 3 times now, i've tossed them in the same pocket as my iphone inadvertently and 3 times i've scratched the **** out of the screen. The first time, I had no screen protector and the screen was ruined.. the second two times, I had screen protectors on (that you can't even see if they're installed properly) and I destroyed the screen protectors. Luckily it was as simply as peeling it off and installing a new screen protector though, becuase the screen underneath was flawless..

example, this phone has a screen protector on it..
    [​IMG]

18. michael31986 macrumors 68030

19. iPhone 4 Me macrumors newbie

That is a ridiculous and baseless claim. I don't understand people's problem with the oleophobic coating. Wait - yes I do. People are morons and don't understand what the coating is supposed to do. It doesn't make the glass somehow resistant to your dirty fingers - it makes the glass very, very easy to clean. I've had my 3Gs since launch day. It's in my pocket every day and the coating works in the same way on day 350 as it did on day 1.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

But ruining the appearance of the screen isn't worth $20. Mine will be as all my previous phones were....NAKED! :eek:

21. DataRiff macrumors member

DataRiff

I use that iKlear kit from the Apple store to clean all my computers and phones... Works very well! $19.99 and worth it.

22. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I take no offense to be calling Mr. Perfect. Honest, I don't! :)

But, given your story, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call yourself Mr. Imperfect?

;)

BTW, I am also a photographer and I'm always putting a lens cap in my pocket too. Only, not one I keep an iPhone in. :)

Mark

23. jumpmonger23 macrumors newbie

An oleophobic coating doesn't contribute to the "toughness" of a screen, only its ability to resist fingerprints and other oily substances.

24. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Haha calm down Tiger. I use a screen protector so I can't speak for this, but I have heard reports of people's oleophobic coating wearing off over time. I was saying it's not a big deal even if it does because it's not like you can visually tell that it is gone. Take a few deep breaths...

25. iPhone 4 Me macrumors newbie

Oh, and in general the idea of screen protectors and cases just doesn't make sense to me. I like to have nice looking things, I really do. But that doesn't mean I need or should cover them up so as to never see them dinged or scratched. Could you imagine wrapping your fine watch in plastic and using a "crystal protector" over the sapphire? Right, you can't - because that is completely inane. If someone can wear and enjoy their $12000 Rolex Sub and not fret over every ding and scratch, well then damn, I think I can handle a fingerprint on my $199 phone THAT I KNOW I WILL BE REPLACING ON A YEARLY BASIS. Going on 4 years with iPhones. Zero cases and zero protectors.