Oh God Help!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ronmaverick88, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

Hello I woke up in horror to see my iPod Touch in this condition!! Recently I was sick with the flu so I did use a humidifier a lot but although in the same room I never had it directly over the steam or anything. It was usually on the other end of the room on my bed.

I don't think that is what the problem is anyway. I can still use the device so the "touch screen" portion still works. Is it the glass? I tapped it a few times and it didn't seem to crack farther or anything if it is the glass.. please help i just have the basic warranty (i did not buy any extra warranty when i got this) im not even sure if this is covered by it. Like i said it still works normal, for now, it just has this weird holographic/reflective like sheer going on (with the backlight?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Put the oven on low, put the device in the oven, and wait. By the way, I mean low. Don't cook your device, just dry it out.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, do you have a screen protector over the glass? That’s... really, really strange if that's the actual glass.

If you have a screen protector over it, I'd just peel it off and reapply it.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

agreed. or put it in the airing cupboard. mine did something similar last year and dried out perfectly.

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Oven technique works good, and so does the hairdryer.

If you have a dehumidifier, I know I used to be able to put a wet device on a little table in front of the intake, and it would dry out overnight.

But, if anything, the high humidity definitely seeped into through the plug at the bottom and filled up behind the screen. Not too big of a deal, I'm sure Apple would be happy to negotiate replacing it.

8. MacMalv macrumors regular

9. biikman macrumors regular

I would try the dry rice myself, as the oven seems a bit to risky. As for the warranty, if the moisture indicator has turned pink, apple will not replace it as water/moiture damage isn't covered. good luck!

10. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

Ok it's not humidity. It's still not gone! I do have a screen protector on it but that's not the problem. It looks like a ice cube when it's wet. It's like several different layers all looking like a reflector or something. It's strange and when I scroll up and down it even gives the Ipod a 3D like feel to it. Whatever the issue is it seems to be with the back light, and several layers between/under it. But it also is not sheered like glass. I have no idea what to make of this.

I've poked it best i can, and if it was glass or broken the ink would be bleeding our or something right? :confused:

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, the glass is situated several millimetres above the screen itself. If it breaks, only the glass is damaged, the screen itself won't be.

12. Spironic macrumors newbie

Haha, "ink".. :rolleyes:

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

Sadly, I think he was serious.

14. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

yeah because clearly i work for apple and i know the term of what they use in their devices. I obviously did not mean the ink as in a ink pen.. I'm assuming it would consist of mercury or something but yeah laugh it up.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I'm going to assume you removed the screen protector and the issue remains. What do you mean by "sheered"? Are you saying there still feels like a texture on the glass as you touch it?

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You don't have to work for Apple to know the term, it's the same stuff that's in any modern LCD screen - LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display, so it doesn't take half a Genius Bar genius to figure out the "ink" is "liquid crystal". It's not like Apple has their own secret LCD formula that Steve Jobs keeps locked in his basement.

17. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

18. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Is the dot at the end of your headphone jack white or pink? If pink, it is moisture damaged. If white, take it to the store.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'd say take it to the store and see if they can do anything. Worst response would be a no. In that case bring it back and try the methods provided above. About the oven suggestion... I'm not sure of this now I haven't tried it or heard of it before but take precaution before doing such a thing.
    I had a similar problem where my touch had a little dust under the screen and it was barely noticeable but it looked something like yours. Luckily, I bought it from Sam's Club so I just went and bought a new one for this one. No questions asked.

20. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

I took it to the apple store. the first thing they did was look at the headphone area with a light. still confused the "genius" asked the other "genius" if he knew what it was. the other guy said yeah, but never said what it was.. so the guy i was working with ran performance tests and i have to assume it passed. he came back still perplexed, testing it to see if it works by opening random apps. Then he sighs and looks at the other guy. At that point he says "ahh yeah it looks like water damage." So my question is how could he possibly conclude this even considering the thing is not pink??! (NO IT IS NOT WATER DAMAGE, THATS WHY!) I NEVER had my iod touch around water, i knew about that whole thing where they could tell so i did my best to avoid the entire situation.

So are they trained to assume water damage where there is no where else to go? I sent this ipod in before through the mail to be repaired for screen issues! Instead of fixing it then they just told me "they could not replicated the problem stated" and just sent it back. of course now the problem has worsened and it's MY fault some how. If they did their job in the first place i would not be in this situation. If they had issues with it at first why didn't the factory call me when they could not replicate the issue? Not only did they not call me they didn't even sign the package to me when it was delievered! it was left outside on the ground!

Of course now it is no longer in warranty because they think it is water damage. I've seen pictures where he battery has exploded and it looks the exact same way. it could be their backlight issue (which is what i originally sent it in for) all I know is that it is 100% NOT WATER DAMAGE. Heck I'll even take "your screen is cracked" over water damage because I know if anything that is what it has the highest possibility of being. not only that but this guy tried to reconstruct the whole situation as to how this "water damage" took place. It was quite amusing and pathetic at the same time. I hope apple enjoys the money I wasted on this warranty because they will never get another cent. I hope that money goes to train their so called "genius" and so called "tech support" in the factories. Good thing this happened now because I almost got an iphone i know what i'm getting and it sure ain't a apple product.:mad:

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You can try taking it to the genius bar.
    Although, they may not take it since inside the device there's a sensor that detects if revealed to water, unfortunately it also detects humidity so you might be screwed.

22. syclick macrumors regular

iPhones and iPod Touches have humidity sensors that change colors when exposed to a certain amount of humidity. When someone brings either device in for service, it's routine for them to check these sensors. If they see that the device has been in a humid environment, they may refuse support.

This isn't something old; if I put my iPod Video 5G in DFU mode, it'll tell me what max temp it's been exposed to, which could be used to refuse support if my iPod has been exposed to extreme temperatures.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You know what? IT'S YOUR SCREEN PROTECTOR/FILM. It's NOT the backlight, because it's is located BEHIND the glass. This apparently is IN FRONT of the glass because the touch capabilities still work. IT IS considered water damage, humidifier = water vapor. and water vapor once cooled down is WATER.

24. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Exactly what I tried explaining to the OP earlier.
    No matter what you say, if they water sensor detects it has been revealed water OR humidity, they void the warranty.
    Humidity is still water damage.

25. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

i understand what you are saying. The white paper is not pink, it is still white. Also it is not the screen protector i took it off to check.