Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Can I ask, is it possible to get pictures of the entire iPod unit instead of just insane closeups of mere portions of the screen? It may be easier to get a better idea of what you're dealing with if we see it how you would when you're actually using it - I'm sure you don't hold it up to your eye so you can only see half the screen at a time.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Well, the humidity could still be under the screen, however I find it very unlikely since the touch features do work. The way that the condensation has formed gives the appearance as it was sandwiched between two objects. And since before the LCD screen there's the capacitive layer, I would think that would result in a brick..... a very, very bright brick....

ronmaverick88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Ok over a month later and not a SINGLE spot has changed. If this was moisture or liquid I have to believe that BY NOW it would not be working, SOMETHING would have moved or it would be gone. NOTHING has changed. It still works fine and the blurr is still there. Can "liquid" still last this long?

Also I notice when I charge my iPod Touch it gets REALLY hot like I could cook eggs on the back or something. Wouldn't this kind of heat cause evaporation or it to condense? NOTHING like that happens though. :confused:

ronmaverick88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Ok over a month later and not a SINGLE spot has changed. If this was moisture or liquid I have to believe that BY NOW it would not be working, SOMETHING would have moved or it would be gone. NOTHING has changed. It still works fine and the blurr is still there. Can "liquid" still last this long?

Also I notice when I charge my iPod Touch it gets REALLY hot like I could cook eggs on the back or something. Wouldn't this kind of heat cause evaporation or it to condense? NOTHING like that happens though. :confused:

Also, as I said earlier, the white paper is not pink, it is still white. Also it is not the screen protector i took it off to check twice.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008

Also, as I said earlier, the white paper is not pink, it is still white. Also it is not the screen protector i took it off to check twice.

Like we said, it is water damage.
If you don't believe us, just buy a new screen, and install it yourself.
Buy it off eBay, crack your iPod's glass open, and watch the water spill out.
Sorry for the rudeness, but we're pretty skeptical here, and we jump to assumptions. When we hear the word humidity, the first thing we think of is water damage.

ronmaverick88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
You realize humidity and liquid are two different states of matter right? And for the billionth time the paper is not pink so neither one are the cause in this case.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
You realize humidity and liquid are two different states of matter right? And for the billionth time the paper is not pink so neither one are the cause in this case.

That doesnt mean it's not water or humidity damage. I've read many posts on here from people that have accidentally submerged their iPhones/iPods in bowls of water and the like, and the sensor has refused to turn pink.

ronmaverick88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
That doesnt mean it's not water or humidity damage. I've read many posts on here from people that have accidentally submerged their iPhones/iPods in bowls of water and the like, and the sensor has refused to turn pink.

..It also passed the tests the worker did at the genius bar..

ronmaverick88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I have no idea. He just said he would try testing it out because he didn;t know what to tell me so he tuned his back towards me and took about 3 steps to the left and I could not see from that point but it only took about 5 minutes. I found it strange because he did not go to the back or anything. I have no idea what the genius' use but I have to assume it is small because I didn't see any huge hook up devices. Perhaps a employee could explain this process.

MetalNeon

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
I actually had the same problem, except I had actually dropped mine in some water. When the LCD was working I noticed something that looked just like that. It cleared up automatically, though! Just wait, it should clear up. :cool:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I have no idea. He just said he would try testing it out because he didn;t know what to tell me so he tuned his back towards me and took about 3 steps to the left and I could not see from that point but it only took about 5 minutes. I found it strange because he did not go to the back or anything. I have no idea what the genius' use but I have to assume it is small because I didn't see any huge hook up devices. Perhaps a employee could explain this process.

I think you've been lied to. There is no software that I know of that is capable of telling you when something has water/moisture damage, so thats out of the question. The only other way they could have seriously come to that conclusion, since the sensor in the headphone jack stayed white, is to actually pull apart the iPod and locate the internal water sensors that are usually hidden from view. They clearly didn't do that if they never went out of your sight and if it only took several minutes.

It seems more of a case of the "Genius" not knowing exactly what the problem is, so they've just passed it off as water damage because:
1) That's just what they reckon it is, so it must be true.
2) They're too lazy to actually go and give it a thorough lookover, so just use the above point as means of getting out of doing their own job.

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
have you or have you not tried the oven technique?

Also, If the sensor is still white, and the ipod is under warranty then get your ass in that apple store and demand they replace it. Tell them that they are legally obligated to make any repairs if it is due to manufacturer defect. If that doesn't work, demand to speak to the manager. He will surely give in. Throw in that you were planning on buying an iphone and even a macbook pro (it just sounds good) and how you heard that apple had great customer service, but now you are rethinking because of 'this horrendous experience.' If you are truly in the right, and you start to make a scene, they will replace it. Its customer service 101. The customer is always right. always. This, of course, is not the most tactful approach to the matter, but if you feel they are stiffing you then it is worth a shot.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA

Also, If the sensor is still white, and the ipod is under warranty then get your ass in that apple store and demand they replace it. Tell them that they are legally obligated to make any repairs if it is due to manufacturer defect. If that doesn't work, demand to speak to the manager. He will surely give in. Throw in that you were planning on buying an iphone and even a macbook pro (it just sounds good) and how you heard that apple had great customer service, but now you are rethinking because of 'this horrendous experience.' If you are truly in the right, and you start to make a scene, they will replace it. Its customer service 101. The customer is always right. always. This, of course, is not the most tactful approach to the matter, but if you feel they are stiffing you then it is worth a shot.

I agree 100% with this. If your sure it isn't water damage then take it back and demand a replacement. Apple will replace it. They replaced an $800 logicboard on my iMac after the warranty was expired 33 days, for free. All you need to do is complain a little. As long as your 100% sure it's not water damage.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This will NEVER work. No offense but I used to work in electronics retail for many years and we used to only laugh at these customers and they would never get what they were looking for. Everyone always says how much they plan on spending and how much they've spent and blah blah. Demanding is very bad. You always want to be super polite when it comes to wanting something from someone even if you feel they owe you something.
Also, noone at the store is stupid. Its clear as day its water damage. This is not a manufacturer defect, apple never told customers the iPod was waterproof.

Now, does that mean things are hopeless for the OP? Nope. Putting your ipod in the oven on low WILL WORK but you have to be careful. A better solution and one I used with laptop screens to great success is to put a towel on top of the oven, turn on the oven and place the device on the towel and leave for a little bit. Water will slowly evaporate away in most cases.

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
This will NEVER work. No offense but I used to work in electronics retail for many years and we used to only laugh at these customers and they would never get what they were looking for. Everyone always says how much they plan on spending and how much they've spent and blah blah. Demanding is very bad. You always want to be super polite when it comes to wanting something from someone even if you feel they owe you something.

What you say here does make sense, however it appears to me that the OP had (or is unwilling to) tried the oven/sugar/rice technique, and has already attempted the nice approach. If he truly feels he is being stiffed, then he's gotta stand up for himself. Now I would never talk this approach myself unless I was incredibly mad, which the OP appears to be. For the record, I do not condone this type of behavior unless its under extreme circumstances. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.