Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qrispy

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
If someone asks me "is that the new iWatch?" I'm going to tell them to get the **** out of my face.

If you say Apple Watch and you're not annoying about it, I might consider showing you it.

Wow you sound like a really fun person to be around.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
What is wrong with just saying, "It's an Apple Watch and I'd prefer not to take it off. It's new and I'm getting used to it so I'd prefer you not touching it. What specifically would you like to see?"

I'd prefer to have an app that, if I slowly turn my wrist, without saying anything it will show a scrawled "SAVE ME" on the screen before I run away.

alxy8s

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Athens, GA
I always welcome this kind of thing. People ask to hold my iPhone 6 Plus to gauge its size to this day. When I first got it, if I pulled it out, I knew I was about to watch it being passed around the room. It's never been a complete stranger, so I'm not sure how I'd feel in that situation.

People are curious, and I'm comfortable with that. I'd honestly be more comfortable passing over a device that is going to be strapped to their wrist for a minute than I am with them juggling a phone around to see how big it is.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Right! And the thing is, these people (my coworkers mostly) have seen me wear my Pebble for months prior. Then the Apple Watch is announced, and suddenly that's what I'm wearing! Kinda like the The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon lol!

LMAO, same with me. I've had my Pebble for months and no one has said a word and now suddenly its all "Is that the Apple watch?". Seriously?!

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I have gotten the same with my Pebble for months now.

The great thing about the Apple Watch is that it is going to be a LOT easier to say no to holding it than with a phone. All we gotta do is tell them it locks when we take it off so it will be too much trouble.

Of course we will let our closest friends and spouses try it on but that next layer of people gets to look and not touch. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

I have a close friend who owns a gym and he keeps destroying phones. The sport will be great for him and he can leave the phone safely in his office.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
This is why I ordered the space gray with black band. I really want the green one, but the black one should allow me to remain incognito for just a little bit from the everyday folks/

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
You know its coming. Soon we'll have a new :apple: device on our wrists and as as it catches peoples attention they will come running and putting their hands all over it asking to try it on. I have a huge problem with people touching my things and it really frustrates me so not sure how I am going to deal with the rush of friends and family on delivery day. How do you guys handle this or how do you plan to ? I try to avoid from letting people use my phone which is tough already :mad:

I don't care if friends or family ask to look at my watch when I get it. But I will not let random people touch and try on my watch.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Just work on your bitchy resting face. People you do not know will be less likely to try to touch your stuff.

LOL.

I've never minded friends and coworkers asking me about my Apple products. They all know I buy them at launch, so they know where to go to see one.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
It's a personal device. I wouldn't take it off and let people try it on, unless they are very close with me. That's what the Apple Store is for.

Exactly! I was talking to a guy at work about the iPad when it came out and he wanted me to bring it in so he can see it. I told him they have them set up at the Apple Store and he can just go there and see them. He didn't like that response. If he was really considering buying one then he would just go to the store to check them out before a purchase.
I hate people touching my tech devices unless they're close to me.
As far as handling my watch envy: I'll keep my shirt over it as much as I can.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
You know its coming. Soon we'll have a new :apple: device on our wrists and as as it catches peoples attention they will come running and putting their hands all over it asking to try it on. I have a huge problem with people touching my things and it really frustrates me so not sure how I am going to deal with the rush of friends and family on delivery day. How do you guys handle this or how do you plan to ? I try to avoid from letting people use my phone which is tough already :mad:

The Watch is so plain looking the only people that will be approached are those purposely showing off. Many Apple fans are vain with egos that are craving to be stroked.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
1 word: "Mace"

3 words: "Concealed Weapons Permit"

If someone asks me to try the watch, I can always whip out the 40 caliber too. Aren't toys fun? :D. Still can't beat one of my friends though, she's got a pink AR-15.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Non-issue.

Most people won't give a toss about the Watch, and my friends and family will be curious only because they know it's something I'm looking forward to. They can have a look no problem.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
The Watch is so plain looking the only people that will be approached are those purposely showing off. Many Apple fans are vain with egos that are craving to be stroked.

Yes, and no one shows off a Rolex. :rolleyes:

I have seen 6 of those in the last week because everyone seems to hold their arm so everyone knows what they have. Funny thing is I know a guy who wears one and I am afraid to ask him if he knows it is a fake. (you can see the second hand jerk).

If people annoy me with wanting to see the watch they will get told it only lights at the exact angle I look at it so they have to be tall enough to look over my shoulder to see the display.

No, my Apple Watch is not flashy with diamonds around it BUT I do not consider it to be plain. I love the simple style of the Classic Buckle. I bought it for ME to enjoy, don't care about others. However, I think it will be tough to miss when that green sports band is on. (sorry everyone. I had tried to promise myself I would stop replying to this guy putting down the watch).

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Merica

lol try that on me, im packing everyday so first thing that catches people eyes would be my sai 19 . again if you still wanna try it out , ill say go to apple store (ill give them address if needed) and give em a look
giphy-2.gif
and walk off

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
This is the reason 75% of people order the watch.

Probably true. I got that with the first iPhone. I got it before anyone I knew and before people saw it they could not understand why I needed internet on my phone.

I think it might get noticed when I am in Europe and I am using it with CityMapper. I love that I can tell my phone where I am heading and it will tell me all of the transit stops on my watch. NICE for a strange city.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.