Oh jeeze... what did I get into...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jun 25, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Okay so last summer I met this girl and she got my contact on a chat program and we talked, but nothing that personal.

Well it turns out she has no friends, her parents don't pay any attention to her, she does absolutely nothing all day, and she started becoming attached to me. As soon as I felt that it was going that way, I quit talking to her completely. I blocked her on everything.

Well she got my cell phone number and she has been texting me on how she wants to hurt herself and stuff and I haven't responded at all to her, I just delete her messages. She literally texts me 15 times a day and I ignore every single one of them, but enough is enough. I don't want to get in trouble if she hurts herself because I don't want anything to do with her.

Is there any advice? Apparently there is no way to block numbers on T-Mobile cell phones which is stupid.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Wow, that is pretty intense. I would definitely do my best to stay away from this girl. It appears you are doing all you can.

My first suggestion would be to block her from your phone, but it seems as you stated, you can't do that on T-Mobile. Bummer.

Maybe go into T-Mobile and ask if it is possible to block numbers? You are in a tough spot as there isn't much more you can do. Just pray that she stops and pray that she doesn't actually hurt herself.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t get this:

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

What's not to get? She has nothing better to do than stalk OP.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because to the OP it's obviously easier to ignore the problem then to be bothered to help. OP, grab a parent and talk to them. Let an adult get involved because if she is serious then she needs help.

Stalk or cry for help? :rolleyes:

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

A little bit of both.

So this begs the question, is she hot?

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I am only 16, I am not going to get myself anymore involved in her trouble life than I already am because I have my own problems that I have been dealing with for the past year or so that many of you people probably know about. If I can't even fix my own problems, I'm not going to complicate things even more by attempting at helping someone when I can't even help myself.

Thanks for the advice so far though.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Good call IMO - ignore the scolding posts above - while what you did is probably a bit harsh, there's no right way to do it - like you said you got your own problems, her problems is her own. This would be entirely different if she's your girlfriend or best friend or something, but she's just someone you met on the internet.

I'd try calling T-Mobile. I'm sure they have ways to deal with stalkers - they're a dime a dozen those days. Worst come to worst you might have to change your number.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See jessica’s response. Other than the “she does nothing all day,” what’s the reason to ignore her? Because she has no friends? Because her parents ignore her? So, give her some more of that, by ignoring her too? What a friend/supporter/helper the OP is. It just sounded kind of cold and mean to me. Anyway, it’s the internet. Who cares what I think.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Good advice. A lot depends on whether she's really serious - and that's your call since you're in the situation. That said, if you don't want to handle it at least involve someone who can.

Or you could look on it as an opportunity to help someone worse off than yourself. That can often make your own troubles look insignificant - a definite mood booster for you. You win!

Or you can think of the worst case: How would you feel if she came to harm and you could have prevented it?

Sorry, no easy answers here.

11. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I agree with your move. Just ignore it. But how did you find this info out?

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How does someone that you talk to online "somehow" find your mobile number? :confused:

Sounds like there's something he's not telling us, because there's no way a typical person could find information such as my mobile number.

13. ethical macrumors 68000

A lot of people foolishly have very open facebook pages, so that's my guess.

----

I'm glad you're fine with joining the group of people who ignore and don't care about this girl...you know, the ones who have caused her to feel and act exactly the way she does. BIG THUMBS UP!

Everybody has their own problems to deal with, some have more than others. But why some people think this is an excuse to ignore and disregard other people who need help baffles me.

Stop being so rude and selfish and talk to her, even if it means telling her you're not interested.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Just hang on a little longer and you probably will stop hearing from her altogether.

15. awmazz macrumors 65816

So... if she had friends, her parents paid lots of attention to her and she does other things all day and she started becoming attached to you, that wouldn't be a problem?

I'm trying to work out what exactly your issue is with her. You started talking to her because I assume you got on with her and I assume that hasn't actually changed. At least not for her at any rate. So she's probaby wondering what she did or said wrong to make you suddenly go talk to the hand on her. So she's going all stalky to find out why, and your disrespect for her feelings has damaged her self-esteem even more than before.

If you're not interested in her because she has a dull boring lonely existence which leads her to become clingy with the first person who pays attention to her, just tell her so. Say exactly what you said in your last post, that you have your own problems and that you're too selfish or self-absorbed to want any part of hers. That you're only interested in popular girls who get paid a lot of attention in order to boost your own self-esteem by association. You'd be surprised how much being brutally honest about yourself with other people can make them lose all respect for you and leave you alone, just like how she did with you. I do it all the time. Works like a charm. :D

PS. Important message for you - what you did and how you did it means you became part of her problems. Not the cause of it, but certainly reinforcing it.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So you've come on MR countless times to seek advice and cry for help yet you're unwilling to help another. :rolleyes:

17. cciliberto33 macrumors regular

Ya she'll probably kill her self

-------
    But in all seriousness call T-Mobile, they can probably block numbers for you. I've known people that had their parents call the provider to block number.

18. ranguvar macrumors 6502

If she doesn't have any friends and her parents don't care about her, you shouldn't just leave her as well! Boy, at least try to help her!

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wow. Some very immature and irresponsible responses to this :(.

Contact the police. Tell them that she has threatened self-harm and that she's texting you so often. You should NOT try to deal with her yourself. It could be just a case of hormones or it could be much more serious. It shouldn't be up to you to deal with her. Also, tell your parents. Being closer to the problem than all of us are, they can help too.

Do not ignore the problem though. Be responsible.

Edit: one additional thing: don't try to contact her or 'tell her how you feel about her' for now. you could get more tangled up in whatever emotional problems she is having now.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Perfect advice.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would port my number to Google Voice and then block her phone. You're only 16, just change your phone number and text the few dozen people that need your new one.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Good advice. OP, you have moral obligation to report this to some adult in a position to do something about it.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Unless of course her father beats the hell out of her as soon as the police leave. We must be realistic here.

24. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Come on now. I was told by 90% of the people to suck it up and go talk to a professional which I did. So why shouldn't she do the same instead of going to a guy like me?

I'm going to tell my parents once they get home.

25. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Eventually you learn to spot the crazies from a mile away.