Oh my eyes!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Cell-666, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Jesus, just picked my wife's iPhone 5 up with iOS 6 still installed. Eye overload, to much texturing, cluttered, heavy colours. How did we live for it so long lol.

People who still moan about flat need their eyes testing! I know I know, it's a personal opinion, but bloody hell I wasn't ready for the visual assault. Just shows how your brain gets used to the different look at feel of things.

What will follow flat though? Although probably by then we will be just talking to our communication device, text message and GUI will be beamed automatically by some neural implant, Google Nueral. Would that be the ultimate flat design?

2. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to me 2 days ago when I saw my cousin's iPhone running iOS 6, somehow it looks like a 10 year old phone.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Same here, whenever I see ios 6 now it looks extremely old, outdated and blah. I can't stand it lol.

4. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Yep, happened to me as well about two weeks ago, it looks so cluttered and... bubbly. Really dated design!

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I know! I'm in the same boat at you. How could we live like that? Such antiquated design.

6. Altis macrumors 68030

It's like anything... My girlfriend is still on iOS 6 and when I first use her phone, it everything looks more coarse and chunky. But after an hour or so you don't notice anymore, but you still notice how much more responsive it is. Then I go back to 7, where I like its crispness but the delays are very noticeable again.

And while I agree 6 is visually unattractive by comparison, it isn't actually hard on your eyes. Light grey thin text on medium-light grey background is actually hard on them.

7. iOSaddict macrumors regular

I like iOS 7 but srsly there's nothing wrong with the way iOS 6 looks. Get over it. :rolleyes:

8. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

iOS 6 looks so gross to me now. The colors look muted, there's so many weird gradients, the icons look dated and remind me of cheap things found in a dollar store. I also hate the icon of the built-in YouTube app, it's like a 1950's television set, so awful. iOS 7 looks loads better and it's so fresh.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

iOS 6 also had much bigger font sizes, making it look clunkier in comparison. iOS 7 has a better flow and transitions, making iOS 6 look choppy. Those two things really make a difference.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Look at the font/text in the notification center. Then also look at the speed that iOS 6 just snaps when you use it.

11. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Too much visual noise and too skeumorphic, sure, but iOS 7 is way worse design. Apple can't find middle ground, they flit between extremes. Their implementation of "flat" design on iOS 7 is appallingly bad and very ugly IMO. IOS 6 looks old, and without physics feels stiff and lifeless, but the quality and craftsmanship was so far ahead of 7, which seems to be made with less than perfect understanding of the principles of flat design, emotional design, and is clearly a rushed product.

12. Mr10crossing macrumors newbie

Even though I got iOS 7 a day after it came out, I still like iOS 6 a lot more. Flat design will never please me. I'd rather have a cluttered look with skeuomorphistic icons than a plain design with bright colors that I'm already bored of. I don't want to use something that can be done in Microsoft Word.

13. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Wow, first thread I have seen in months complimenting iOS 7! I think iOS 6 and iOS 7 can be compared to the apple II and the original macintosh, because when the macintosh was released, everyone thought of its GUI as a toy, but look where we are now where every computer has a GUI and computers like the apple II look antiquated! When iOS 7 came out, people said it looked like a toy, but looking back, iOS 6 just looks old!

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

iOS 6 has no built in YouTube app, it's the same one as iOS 7.

15. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

Pre-iOS 6 then.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree, while there are elements of iOS 6 that are nice are other elements that needed updating. But to go to the extreme that they went with for iOS 7 is not very good. There is a happy medium, iOS 6 should have been updated to make it look more modern. But to add all of the unnecessary UI elements in iOS 7 is just shortsighted.

If iOS 6 was updated to look more modern it would still give them a roadmap and other possibilities down the road. I don't hate iOS 7 I've gotten used to it but iOS 6 was the pinnacle of iOS design.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You don't know what follows flat? We all know fashion runs in circles

According to the Google Android Designer is "Material Design" or what I call "Hipster Skeumorphism"… :rolleyes: People seem to be really digging the design of the new android OS though.

BTW here is his pic:
    [​IMG]

18. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

Not sure why everyone is so focused on how the icons look, when the iPhone itself looks like an old lady's phone.

I, for one, will be replacing my 4s with an iPhone 6 since I'm due for a new phone under my plan. If anything, those who are really concerned with appearance (I personally couldn't care less), and stuck with the iPhone 5s or older, should be more concerned with how outdated and tiny the iPhone itself looks.

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I still have iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I also have an iPad Mini-R which came with iOS 7 installed. Even on an iPad Mini, iOS 7 text is difficult for me to read because the fonts are too skinny and too light. I've tweaked the settings as much as are allowed and it's still headache-inducing because it makes me squint. I don't want to get reading glasses just for my electronics when I don't need them for anything else, so I stay on iOS 6.

If iOS 7 could have the text appearance (size, darkness of fonts) that iOS 6 has, I would upgrade all of my devices. iOS 7 is not friendly to users whose eyesight is not what it once was (older eyes.) Please don't snark because you'll be in the same predicament someday.

I really hope that iOS 8 will allow more customization for this. I don't care one iota about how the icons look. I want to read.

20. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Settings/General/Text Size.

Settings/General/Accessibility/Larger Text.

Settings/General/Accessibility/Bold Text -don't forget to restart your phone.

Settings/General/Accessibility/Increase Contrast.

Have you tried any of these?

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I had made all but the Bold Text change (I thought I'd done that one, too - oops!) The iPad restarted itself after confirming that the user wants to embolden text. That has made things generally much better but there's still a problem with small text within some apps as changing iOS Settings don't affect those. I suspect that apps which were optimized for iOS 7 conformed to the general text standards of iOS 7 but without being able to be tweaked.

Thanks for reminding me to check all of those Settings, thus confirming the ones I'd already made and finding the one that I'd missed. I still can't imagine using iOS 7 on my iPhone. I guess I'll see how it all looks when I upgrade my iPhone 5 in the Fall.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That means the developers have not adopted the system fonts and instead used their own.

23. kolax macrumors G3

It does feel dated now, but it's so zippy and responsive. I'd like a toned down iOS 7, as it's far too bright.

24. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

Exactly, they should have evolved the design instead of getting a completely different one, the old design was more flexible, they will have to revamp the design again eventually because this much flatter design is harder to change in a subtle way.