Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The viscious circle of life

stridey said:
Hmm... yeah, good points. Never thought about all the politics involved in getting people off of IE! :p

It's a viscious circle. Part of it is probably our people (Mac-Bashing Windows users) telling them they have to use IE, only to get their Mac-hating reinforced when the Macs can't access the sites. The sad part is, it's the Macs that get hurt in all of this sea of misunderstanding. :)

Maybe when Bill said "you can't separate the browser from the operating system", what he really meant was that his fanbase can't understand that one is independent of the other. ;)

Anywho - all I can say as far as proprietary goes is, "Outlook will import your vCal/iCal file to rope you in, but it won't output to either format to keep you from leaving - and you call my Mac proprietary?" :cool:

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
being in a Design school [and studying Graphic Design, no less] I thought everybody must have known everything about Mac... One day, my friend brought her iBook and her very very old Toshiba laptop to school to ask the opinion of our professor why doesn't Photoshop works on her iBook. It turns out she's been trying to install the Windows version of Photoshop :D and also it was the 2nd time she opens her Mac since September :mad: She said she doesn't like to use it and she's used to Windows [should see that thing, the internet browser, half of the screen, literally, is filled with those tool bars :eek: ] And I asked her why did she bring her Toshiba laptop too since she only had to ask question about the iBook, she said she loves it too much because all her pictures are on there that she can't leave it home... :confused:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You're all lucky. I'm stuck on a forum that doesn't even give reasons! "Macs suck" end of.

Whats funny is they got a hold of that video with the G3 iMac... the guy describing the problems of the Mac... I was looking and thought to myself "I have never come across them problems!" I was confused by the video

Unfortunately though every student and lecturer on my course has a Mac so theres only discussions about how great they are.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I can maybe (just semi maybe) can understand some peoples hatred for Macs. Like my middle school one lab is still using Macs from when I was in 1st grade. No joke they are horrible it takes 30 seconds to use the back button. But then in the HS we have a nice room (Ive only been in 1 time) its like a mini apple store, 1 iMac G4, 2 G5 iMacs (i think) 1 eMac and 1 PowerMac G5, all those people in those classes dont seem to have a problem with them:p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
PlaceofDis said:
naw it hates all browsers besides IE 5.0+ at least its equal discrimination against browswers.

I'd be fine with it.. if I could even still download IE for Mac. As it is now though... with a Mac I cannot view these pages.. at all.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
people think they know it all.

Sneezing on these people also works (yes I'm rude and extremely crude, but they never forget "that guy with that mac"). Seems that people are afraid of the unknown. Thank god there are so many of them. ;) Less competition for us intelligent people. :D I'm sure all of us have heard some ridiculous "facts" about macs from these "know it alls".

me: please step aside so I can check something. Thank you.
them: what did you do?
me: i fixed it to show you that it could be fixed.

AJBMatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2006
Athens, Georgia
Me on my GF's iBook to a girl that wants a note taker in a psychology class:

Me: Did you want to look at my notes?
Girl: Yeah...(looks and scrolls down)...So you just type them here in class?
Me: Yep.
Girl: Wow, you take great notes.
Me: Thanks.
Girl: Can you e-mail them to me so I can print them?
Me: Sure thing.
Girl: What type of computer is this, it is so cute.
Me: iBook G4
Girl: Who makes that?
Me: Apple.
Girl: Oh, I have a Dell and I use Word so I would not be able to print your notes.
Me: I type these in Word.
Girl: But it is an Apple and they do not work right.
Me: Trust me it will.
Girl: That is ok, I will just photocopy this girl's notes.

Well, did not get that $120 for taking notes that I already take. She was so studip. Needed a note taker for no reason...no broken arm, just a broken brain.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
PlaceofDis said:
naw it hates all browsers besides IE 5.0+ at least its equal discrimination against browswers.
No worries.

Just add the debug menu to Safari. Then choose your client as Windows MSIE 6.0. Then you are golden.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
My C++ Algorithms professor was talking about operating systems.

Here is a snippet of what he said:

"..there is Windows, Unix, Linux, and whatever monster it is they use on Apple's."

Although I would call OS X quite a monster in a positive way, his tone was just the opposite.

Makes me wonder...lol

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!

Example, my gym teacher - she's so cocky, she think she knows everything about everything. She's a photographer and she uses Windows. I was on one of Macs and I was reading an MR article just talking about how there's no viruses, etc for Macs. She read it over my shoulder and was like, that's a bunch of bull crap. I'm like, uh, Mrs. (teacher), do you really know anything about Macs? She's like yeah, I do. Then I said, well then, you should know that not all Windows applications run on Macs, right? What are viruses? Aren't they like "mini applications" that run background services in your computer that you cannot see? Do you even know what the latest Mac OS is based on? It's based on UNIX. Something indestructible! Oh, and before you say well, you said not all windows applications run on windows, but some must run on macs, well, sadly, 95% of the computer world runs on Winblows, ehm, I mean Windows and 5% Macs. If you were a "virus writer" or a "spyware writer," which would you rather write for?

She look at me stunned, didn't say anything, and went away.

:D

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
lilstewart92 said:
She look at me stunned, didn't say anything, and went away.

Probably deciding if she should go get a detention slip. Mind your elders. Macs can get you out of many jams, but detention's not one of them. ;)

Though the time will go quicker as you daydream about returning home to your Mac.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
"Why would you buy a Mac, you can't upgrade them!"

Yeah, I just bought that extra gig of RAM, 200 gig hard drive and DL DVD burner for sh*ts and giggles. :rolleyes:

I think my parents are some of the worst, in a different way though. They have a Mac mini, and love it, but they just don't understand anything. Like my dad gets these lame chain e-mails about viruses.
Dad: "Should I be worried about this?"
Me: "No"
D: "Why?"
M: "You have a Mac."
D: "A what?"
M: "Mac. There are no viruses for them"

That conversation takes place usually at least once a month

C

CompUser

People think

1) No Windows Media Player on Mac (why would you want it anyways though)
2) Microsoft Office does not exist for macs
3) There are NO games for macs
4) Macs Suck (no reasons to backing up there statement)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
My employer supplied a nice, shiny Compaq P4 and I got quite a reputation as a computer problem solver. I could get some work done so much faster on my own PowerBook G4 that I would bring it in and plug it into the network. (Our IT department never did catch on to what I was doing...) Everyone in my office at one time or another asked my why I used a Mac and my answer was always the same: "I work on PC's, but I use Macs."

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
CompUser said:
2) Microsoft Office does not exist for macs

try using this little fact next time someone tries to tell you theres no office for mac.

Microsoft Word 1.0 was never released for PCs

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Just the other day, I was telling a relative that my family got an iMac. They were like "Why did you do that? Now your brother and sister wont be able to transfer files to and from school because you need to use Microsoft Office. They're not compatible with anything." I laughed and asked, "What sort of computer have you seen me using for all of my school work this year (referring to my PB)?. Response "oh, is yours a Mac too?" :rolleyes: :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
chaos86 said:
try using this little fact next time someone tries to tell you theres no office for mac.

Microsoft Word 1.0 was never released for PCs
Or that Excel was created on the Mac and did not exist on the PC until version 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.