OiNK Raided and Owner Arrested.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Markleshark, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Wow, seems to have been quite the operation. Full Story.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good job too... hope the book gets thrown at him, that the profits get impounded and used to pay court costs. How people believe that these kind of people are somehow helping artists, production people and an entire industry staggers me. Living off the work of others...

3. Queso macrumors G4

Members-only eh? They'll be a few people out there bricking it today :D

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I totally agree. I have zero sympathy for people who engage in this sort of thievery.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

This is a terribly sad day :(

I can't even guess how many new artists I've discovered through oink. Sadly, at least for me, this will severely impact the number of album purchases I make overall. I buy the music I find that I enjoy. More importantly, I buy lots of merch at their shows, which actually gives money to the artist.

And I surely would never sink so low as to actually purchase an RIAA-backed CD in the stores. It's iTunes Plus, Amazon, or nothing for me now.

Lame.

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

The thing is. Most people who download pirated software or music or whatever wouldn't be buying them in the store anyway. So technically every album downloaded isn't really sales lost. It's only because it is easily accessible that people download it.

The industries need to find a way to take advantage of that concept because you will never ever stop piracy. iTunes is a good start, but more needs to be done. i have no suggestions.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

RIAA-backed CD? You don't seem to know what the RIAA is or what its purpose is... any legit file released from a major label, regardless of where you get it from, will have been produced by people that are members of the RIAA.

And as for the people that say they always buy the merchandise of artists at shows, I don't believe them, particularly as the number of bands currently touring and the venues they play is nowhere the number of files that people download...

It's all just hollow justification for greed and selfishness.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

worst day ever.

music is officially dead.

also, ****ing media propoganda. OiNK wasn't a "distrubition point for pre-releases". OiNK almost never had 0-day **** because it as always awful quality. They had tons of rare and obscure music, along with live albums and stuff. ugh.

i'm so sick of the god damn music industry. music isn't about the music anymore, it's about some douchebags who are just trying to get rich.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Looks like you'll have to pay for it now...

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The BBC article I read made OiNK sound pretty awful... like a seedy members-only piracy-fest. I have no experience of it, so unfortunately that remains my impression.

Still, so many years after Napster, any company/organisation that allows piracy is on soft ground. They probably had it coming :)

iTunes Plus FTW! :D

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

that would be great but you can't find **** like that in best buy...

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Including the douchebag you all were paying fees to remain a member to... :rolleyes:

Since the industrial revolution, music has never just been 'about the music'... and just how exactly are you helping music and musicians by pirating? Helping yourself more like.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

umm, what? You never had to pay anything to be a member of oink.. just be invited.

I never said I was helping the musicians... however, sites like OiNK helped a lot of people find out about more obscure bands.. and most people I knew from there actually bought more CDs after they downloaded the music on there and liked it.

I'll probably buy less music now that I can't download it before to preview it. If you just go and buy it, you end up buying some CD with one good track and a bunch of ****.

14. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

This just shows me that you have no clue how oink - or the torrent scene in general - works. Oink was a site with 200k members, it was free to join in. You were never in it's 3+ years of existence forced to pay in order to gain extra benefits (Which is more then you can say for MacRumors :rolleyes:)

If you look at the artists - Radiohead, Prince, etc, they want their music out there to be heard. Look at all the artists with MySpaces or a ton of the other indie music sites out there. They freely give their music out to be heard. For every Metallica, there's a dozen Radiohead's.

You dont remember that indie or foreign (Non-US) artists exist outside the realm of the RIAA. And just because they're the biggest producers doesn't mean that they're automatically given the right to make laws concerning copyright.

And before you sprout on about merchandising and the such, look up the agreements that artists need to sign with labels if they want their music produced and recorded. The recording companies take a majority of these profits. Bands really do make more money from touring and merchandise then from record sales.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That depends on the CDs you buy doesn't it? I can't help it if your musical tastes run to artists that are incapable of producing a solid album...

There are so few albums that all consistently good all the way through; it's been that way for decades. Buy individual track from iTunes instead.

Muisc is officially dead? Don't make me laugh...

I'm very glad to have no clue how it works, can't you understand that? I'm a content creator, not some leeching cheapskate who think they're doing something noble... The article reported said this morning that fees were charged — now edited — and in the the case of allofMP3 — not a torrent site — that was true.

Thanks for enlightening me. That's beside the point of the overall discussion, anyway. And no-ones' forcing you to pay any money to MR.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I listen to stuff that's impossible to get in any store, so I get it direct form the record label. It's not hard at all.

17. buywisdom macrumors member

A Sad Day

Oink had albums you couldn't dream of finding at Walmart or Best Buy. I can't tell you how many shows I have gone to because of oink. A sad day indeed.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

iTunes would be great if ALL tracks were "iTunes Plus". But I don't want a track that's 128kbps that I can't play anywhere but my Macbook.

oh well, the MAFIAA might have won this battle but they will never win the war. More sites will pop up.

19. bartelby macrumors Core

Are Walmart and BestBuy the only places in the US that sell music any more?:confused:

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Pretty much. All of the little record stores are going out of business. There used to be a bunch of places around here to get CDs, but now there's only the big stores and Newbury Comics (best store ever, tons of local stuff :D).

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not all of them, only acts that even tour in the first place... and it's only practical for big-name acts to give their music away for free.

And I'm not disputing that; I'm pointing out that for all the people that claim they go to concerts and buy merchandise from all the artists they claim to support yet torrent, that's nigh-on impossible for everyone to do. Many artists, not household names, rely on residuals long after they've retired or stopped touring...

22. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

How you feel isn't for me to decide - that's your choice. I'll only try and provide you with accurate facts to help you make that decision :)

Not everyone that downloads music is some "leeching cheapskate" - One of my dad's friends - a guy in his 50's - he buys dozens, probably hundreds of cd's a year. Yet he still downloaded music from oink. Why? It's easier to download music in FLAC or mp3 V0 (a lossless audio format) then rip dozens, hundreds of cd's a year. Not to mention there's more to producing good rips of cd's then just putting it in the drive and hitting "Import" in iTunes :rolleyes:

If you want quality, you download music. iTunes does not provide decent quality music - Just because the iPhone headphones don't show the difference, doesn't mean the difference isn't there for audiophiles, or someone with a half-decent sound system.

23. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Likewise, No one's forced you to pay for Oink. My point was, MR gives away a service if you pay for it. Oink gave a pretty little star next to your name. Pretty big difference.

And if you go to myspace, last.fm, or a bunch of other sites and search, you'll see that many new artists post their music online to freely download. And these artists are hardly major labels.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's that got to do with the issue? If you want quality and to help the artists and the infrastructure that supports them, you buy the CD and rip it to lossless, like I do.

And your dad's friend sounds exactly like a cheapskate. Just because someone buys dozens of CDs a year, doesn't excuse anyone at all...

25. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

It is pretty much true in the US, I dont know how it is in the UK currently. In the 90s the major record store chains drove all the mom-and-pop "indie" music stores out of business. It used to me my way to discover good music; just go to the store, talk to people you knew, hear what they are playing, etc... (these stores were the focus of aggression by the RIAA, etc because they carried rare imports and occassional bootlegs)

Now its just big stores that carry pretty much pop crap. Looking for a rare CD or artist, forget about it. Heck, you can hardly find older albums from artists that are still current. iTunes has a better selection than the stores, but not by much. It stil does not fill the void.

oink, while it had things going on that it shouldnt have, was also an outlet for more obscure music and artists. Its a shame its gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.