OK, I know this has been asked before but..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akadmon, Jan 15, 2008.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

can someone tell me why I should think myself sane after paying $XXX (or) more for an MBP than I could get a Dell XPS 1530 for?

I've done my homework, and here is the dirty laundry (can you say mixed cliches?):

Attached Files:

2. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

One runs Vista (Garbage) and one runs OS X, also known as the Holy Grail of OS's.

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Yeah it is cheaper but then again it is a Dell your talking about. ;)

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Keep in touch from DellRumors.

5. Blanz macrumors member

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Point taken. I have zero experience with Vista, but XP has been good to me on my work lappy. The thing is, this computer will be my daughter's college computer, so having Vista as the primary OS (I'm not discounting going the hackintosh route) would be a definite drawback, if anything because I would not be able to help her as much as I would if the lappy was running Leopard (or Win XP, for that matter).

7. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I feel you with this one. I'm going to college this fall and I'm in the same predicament. The first thing you have to ask the school is whether her they accepts Macs. Then you have to ask, "Why did I ask that first question? I can always use bootcamp and run Vista and Os X." Then go on apple.com and buy a Mac.

8. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Um, I have a Dell Latitude D620, and, believe me, this is a solid machine. Also, Dell's support is actually better than Apple Care (not to mention less expensive). For example, when was the last time you had an Apple tech come to your house to fix a problem with your computer the day after you called? I bet this hasn't ever happened, nor is it likely to ever happen in the future (and not because Apple's products are flawless).

9. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

If I had to buy a PC, I'd buy a Dell, but if you don't have to put your daughter through Vista, don't. I'm sorry, but when I try to delete something and two command screens come up to make sure I want to delete it, that makes me angry. Again, Apple solved this problem with Time Machine and Time Capsule.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

1996, Performa 6300 CD. Don't even remember what the problem was, but an Apple tech came to my house and fixed it.

11. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Vista is the only thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on a Dell XPS right now. If I do get the XPS, I will try to load Win XP on it ASAP.

12. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Good for you, but I don't think Apple has in-home repairs on laptops. Dell does.

13. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

You can definitely do that, if that's what her college takes. Somewhere I heard SP3 is coming out for Xp. Can anyone validate those claims?

14. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

My Dell support has always been a heavily accented person claiming to be named Chris, Joseph or Roger. I have had a horrible history with Dell as do many others I know. Dell support is by far a reason not to get a Dell in my opinion.

15. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The software is the difference that makes the Mac notebook more valuable.
    Remember, Apple is not purchasing OSX licenses on a volume discount program; they actually have to pay for OSX development costs that are only spread out over 8% of the market.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, if you load XP, you'll be fine. Vista works too, but I just couldn't gel with taking a performance hit for no reason. Heck, that's why I still use Tiger instead of Leopard. I'd recommend the Macbook Pro if you want OS X, and the Dell if you don't.

17. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Oh my, you haven't called AppleCare lately, have you? :eek::D

18. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

Anyone decently familiar with the computer industry would know that dells are crap.

19. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Can't say that I have however on another note did the Win XP SP3 come out yet? What was the trigger date for this release? I heard of significant performance increases with it.

20. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

BEST

EVER

21. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

What does laptop vs desktop have to do with it? You said "never happen, never gonna happen". It did happen. That was the point.

22. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

SP3 is indeed coming out supposedly first half of this year. SP1 for Vista is coming out in the next couple of weeks as well actually

IMO Vista is fine - in fact, I think it's far more forgiving for non-power users. If you want it to be as similar to XP, just tweak the settings in there until it is (such as turn off UAC, change themes, etc.)

But OS X is still OS X...

23. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I believe that the performa series came with in-home set up.

in all seriousness, its a more solid system, everything is perfectly calibrated, and its pretty....

You are a poster here with more than 500 posts, why do you of all people need convincing, you've used a mac, if you need convincing, then maybe the mac is no longer for you

24. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

IMHO Vista is garbage. If I wanted an OS X skinned version of Xp that takes twice the memory to run, I'd have skinned Xp and filled my computer with Adware.

25. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

I use both OS X and Windows (XP) daily, and while I prefer OS X, I think it would be disingenuous of me to say that the Windows OS prevents me from doing what I need to get done. Again. I don't mind paying some premium for an Apple laptop, so long as I'm getting more than just a more stable/less vulnerable OS, and so long as this premium is not outrageously high (which it is right now). The current MBP costs well over $500 more than than the equivalent Dell XPS. That's an outrage.

I'm willing to wait till the end of March (can't speak for my daughter -- she's effectively without a usable computer since her old PC died). I will re-evaluate things at that time. Chances are, if the MBP has not been updated, I will buy the Dell XPS 1530 (or it's Penryn incarnation).