Ok I think I get it now (Loving your first Mac)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by case2001, Jul 25, 2013.

1. case2001, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013

case2001 macrumors 6502

I never understood those guys who moaned about their old PowerBook's death or their old MacBook Pros and so on. But I get it now.

I have only been a MacBook Pro user for a couple of years. My first was 4 year old 1st gen Intel MacBook Pro 15" I have used it daily until this year and decided to move to a rMBP 15" I carry the rMBP 15" every day and use it daily for work. But I still love my original MBP. Whenever I don't need the rMBP, I use my MBP. Tonight I realized, I am now more careful with my original MBP than my rMBP.

So anyway...I get it...

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Laptop cheating...

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

first love is the deepest;)

For me I would always love to carry my white unibody macbook around when not needing to do any intensive work. I found it to be stylish and uncommon now days

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple has gotten greedy and less Mac like every year. The Retina MBP is nothing but a beta test with that lackluster of a GPU.

I love the Late '08 MB I still use. It feels like a true finished good, not a beta. Hell, it will run Mavericks when that shows up. Not to mention, I have not experienced the slowdowns some other Mac users report.

8GB of RAM? We had it before it was mainstream ;)

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Not to nitpick ;) but wasn't that late '08 MacBook the first unibody one? If so weren't you were an early adopter possibly using 'beta' hardware? Yes, the resolution hadn't dramatically changed...

That is a great Mac, before they went ahead and called it a MacBook Pro.

I know they are not perfect but if one is not gaming the rMBP's are solid, fast, and don't feel beta to a lot of us.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had an apple laptop since the first iBooks and G4 Powerbook days.

I can easily say that the rMBP is the best laptop apple has produced. I understand about the complaints about the ghosting, but apple is fixing those.

Not to make excuses for apple but rather point out a trend - they seem to always do 2 things. Provide stock machines with too little ram and have under powered GPUs. With the rMBP I've found neither to be the case, stock comes with 8GB which is great (though I have 16gb) and the GPU is powerful enough for my needs.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

The rMBP is my first Mac after being a Windows user all my life. I feel (at least from a hardware perspective) it was the first Mac worthy to switch over to. And I haven't regretted it at all, it's the best PC I've owned yet.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I felt the opposite about my 2008 MBP... battery bulged and stopped my trackpad clicking, hinges were very loose in that model, not much faster compared to earlier MBPs.

Oh well, maybe mine was just a bit crap. Still a great computer, but mine is showing its age now on the rare occasions I use it.

9. mneblett macrumors 6502

Having had a Powerbook G4, my 1st-gen Unibody 15" (late '08 -- definitely named "MacBook Pro") was a terrific upgrade -- real feel of quality, along with very good performance for its day. I've upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8 GB, and the HD to a 500GB spinner (in the days before SSD's became more available at a less painful price point). One replacement battery. No fit/finish issues, except where I have caused the damage; no appreciable wear/looseness anywhere. It's put up with a lot, and is still an excellent piece of hardware, even if the C2D CPU and integrated GPU aren't quite up to today's tasks.

My shift to a current 15" rMPB feels much like the shift to the late '08 -- even more refined and solid feel, with more performance than I can use. I agree with the comments about this being the best laptop I've ever used.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, which in a sense surprised me too, but for the amount of pixels it pushes, a GT 660M would have been a bare minimum.

Although I think it was Steve's leadership that coerced low specs on Macs.

First person I've heard that has had serious issues on that generation.

11. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Buyer's remorse...

Maybe the rMBP was just a whim, not a necessity...

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

PowerBooks had awesome keyboards

PowerBooks had character.

MacBook Pro's lack these things

13. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Talking about 2008 models, can we all just agree that you need to distinguish between the early 2008 pre-unibody MBP and the late 08 original unibody MBP 15" (13" was MacBook)?

Anyway, I have my mid-2009 13" MBP that I still love. I almost bought a 2012 non- retina when my hard drive decided to act up for the second time along with a recurring sleep issue, but Apple fixed it and it's running reasonably well. I put 8 gb of RAM into it, and I'm waiting on Mavericks.

16. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Buyers Remorse

Sorry if that's how it came across....but no, I have zero buyers remorse about the rMBP. It is an awesome machine. Screen is fantastic, compiles are quick, data load and sorts are fast.

I baby my rMBP as well. I have to carry my rMBP everyday for work so even though I am careful with her, it is a fact of life. My realization of the fact, I am relieved at being able to leave my original MBP at home and am careful with using her like I would be with a classic car or first edition of a classic book lead me to the original posting. There are not many items I have used which evoke these feelings for me. It is a first for a computer, even though I have used many types of machines for over 30 years.

:eek:

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Damn you earwig!

18. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed.....