Ok lets be honest who uses the friend button? and other thoughts.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ryanhdd, May 28, 2015.

1. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I have yet to use it and really do not see a need for it. I would love for that button to be able to be programed to anything. I have had my watch for a couple weeks now and I do like it. It is buggy, I have already had to reset it once, The weather information stopped showing up and zero apps would work. Siri works ok on it. sometimes it does take a while for her and thats kinda annoying. I have used it with my bluetooth headphones working out and this is freedom. I really like this aspect about it. Though when I use the workout tracking it does drain battery pretty fast. I have yet to have the watch go into power reserve mode. Charging at night. I would like more watch faces, also would like to be able to add more of the information things you can click on to open up apps on the watch face. Some have more than others, Also have not used any of the digital touch stuff as I only know one person who has an apple watch and thats my boss, we are good friends though, so i suppose I could send him my heart beat. lol no I don't think so.

2. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

I use it daily - it seems to be the quickest way of sending digital touch or making a phone call

3. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose if you have other people who have watches you want to digital touch, then yes, otherwise there is no way to say get to someone that is not in this list of friends. You still need to use siri or your phone.

4. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I don't ever really call people in general plus none of my friends in the friends circle have an apple watch so it's pretty much useless to me unfortunately.

5. Bob190, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

Bob190 macrumors 6502

Completely useless to me.

Hopefully a future update will allow you to reassign it to a function you actually use, maybe like pausing/unpausing a workout, etc. The AW touchscreen is not very responsive with sweaty fingers.

6. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I never use it. I'd love for it to be customizable.

7. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I regularly use it to start text messages… But it would be kind of cool if you could link it up as a shortcut to an app or something.

8. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Or use the phone app on the watch that has a complete list of your contacts. I still find using my phone for this quicker though, but appreciate that there is a way to see all my contacts on the watch if I need to.

9. wdfly macrumors regular

i have never used it, most likely won't any time soon if ever.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The function is useless for me. Let us customize the button

11. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh I did not know this. Good idea. Though Siri is prob what I would use to start a call. I like the watch but using it as a phone has its limitations. It's volume is way too low to use in the car and or any place that's not very quiet. I'm ok with that. Bc it's weird to see everyone talking to their wrist.

12. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Those of you saying it's useless… How do you initiate calls and text messages, through Siri?

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I use it regularly to send messages to my main contacts. I made a point to integrate it into the way I do things but I could see it used for something else. That would be fine with me.

14. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Lol, I agree with the talking on the wrist bit. What I just discovered and used is that my watch plays voice mail. That is something I will definitely use on my watch over my phone when I'm in a discreet place. I always have trouble getting the darn phone to play the messages over speaker.

Gotta love that I'm still discovering new things after a month with the watch.

----------

Through my phone. I still find that easier. The few times I did initiate a text via my watch I went directly to the messages app on the watch, force touch new message, add contact, hit the blue contact icon and brought up a list of all my contacts. I keep forgetting that the friends button is even there. Haha. Maybe in time I'll switch over.

15. ddrulez macrumors regular

Yes with Siri. Hey Siri call my brother. No need to touch the button.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here. I put more contacts in there for ease of location.

17. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

I also use it a fair bit as quick access to favourite contacts (it doesn't matter whether they have Apple Watches or Android phones). Quite a few of my contacts have non-English names and Siri has trouble with those.

18. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I use it quite a bit to send quick iMessages.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

never used it like others i dont know anyone else with an Apple Watch plus i never call people ^^ its all text in my case. Siri is also usless being multilingual

20. Phrase macrumors newbie

21. hotnickels macrumors newbie

I wish I could set it to "next track" to make it much more easier to switch tracks without having to look at the watch and turn on the screen.

22. lentus macrumors member

i can use it every day to make phone calls in the car, and to dictate text messages.
    honestly - to me, it one of most important features of the watch.

23. cruzmisl macrumors regular

24. starbot macrumors regular

Never, ever. Sometimes to wake the watch, but for friends? Never!

25. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

used it first day to send digital touch.

never used it again or digital touch. talk about one gimmicky feature