Ok seriously, who's buying Airpods?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Canadia69, Sep 14, 2016.

?

Are you buying apples new wireless AirPods?

1. Yes!

45.0%
  2. Not Sure

21.4%
  3. No

33.6%
  1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I understand how they work, just using the old Bluetooth term. I don't have to pair my Bose either since their are already "paired", they connect when I push the button.

Also, they have to "pair" at least initially or they would connect to any iPhone in range. Pairing is the association between the earphones and the device. It may not "pair" in the traditional bluetooth sense, but it still pairs.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

True but pairing implies you have to un-pair the one you're using if you want to use another AirPods. This is not the case. So "Connect" is a better term.

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

Um, no. This goes back to my original statement that "not all bluetooth experiences are created equally". I have been able to pair multiple headsets to the same device and even multiple of the same device as each has a unique address.

Again, the Airpods and W1 chip simplify the process, but at the core the technology and terms are the same. Just because Apple chooses to use the term "connect" doesn't mean "pairing" doesn't occur or apply, its just marketing to differentiate themselves from bluetooth even though it's still using bluetooth.

4. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Have you tried your headsets on different devices, i.e. iPad? Did you have to un-pair from iPhone first?

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

Yes, and No. I stated in my original post that my Bose SoundSport are already paired with my phone and iPad and when I power them on it announces the remaining battery life and the devices its connected to. I haven't had to unpair/pair them since the initial setup.

I have had other headsets that did not allow me to connect to multiple devices or at least not easily. Since they all use the same bluetooth technology, I put this on the manufacturer.

Keep in mind that the Airpods still use bluetooth and the W1 chip is there to "improve" the connection experience. I assume the W1 chip is there for the neat trick Apple does when the case is opened or when the Airpods are put in your ears, but at the end of the day, its still a bluetooth connection.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

My Bluetooth adventure was short life because this pair/un-pair hassles and made me a bit uneasy about the term. If yours can work without it then great for you. Didn't mean to call you wrong or I'm right. Just want to be explicit that the process is just one time, that's all.

7. jedolley macrumors 68000

I understand. I have also gone through a number of bluetooth headsets and feel your pain. My goal was to point out that not all bluetooth experiences are the same (see original quote below). The bluetooth technology is much better than what some manufacturers end up doing with it and it's a shame.

8. pommie82 macrumors 6502

Only thing you can do is try them out if you are not happy with then return them and get your money back or buy something else from apple that would be more use to you

9. pommie82 macrumors 6502

I have decided to buy them for when i go cycling because i do a lot of commuting on the bike and the airpods would come in great for me because then i get to my destination i can just them up and on the way home i would have to worry about getting a flat battery because they would of charged in the case and the lot of the time i only use one ear phone to when i am cycling because i am listening to the traffic all the time so i can hear what is coming i just have the other headphone in the other ear for back ground noise

10. pommie82 macrumors 6502

I think apple would of thought about the Temperature factor of things they wouldn't of not though of it because they know that people live in different climates all over the world eg russian which is one of the most coldest places on earth and i should of thought in a couple of months they would be selling them over their

11. MS_Hedrick macrumors member

MS_Hedrick

Usability issues notwithstanding, if the sound quality of $160 AirPods is equal to free pack-in EarPods, then someone at Apple set the bar for these at 'good enough'. That's not what I come to Apple for. Good freshman effort, looking forward to v2.0

And to be honest, I'm not the most attractive guy around. Brad Pitt would have trouble looking good in these.

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68020

Knowimagination

I'm really tempted by them. I have been wanting truly wireless earbuds for a while, not sure that I will buy them right away and would probably mainly use them for podcasts and occasionally music where I don't feel like wearing over ears.

If they came in jet black to match my phone I would probably order them as soon as they were available though haha.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I'd buy them, but I'm sure Jabra's Elite Sport and Bragi's Headphone earbuds will sound and fit a lot better.

14. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

There must be limitations that we are unaware of.

Otherwise, it would make sense that Apple would improve on the sound quality.

15. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I tried the bragi dash for a week and the "fit" part may vary because some people don't like the EarPods feel and others don't like the "earbud" feel like me.

I can't say how the bragi headphones will feel but if the Bluetooth connection is anything like the dash I'm confident the airpods will sound way better.

16. rockyromero, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Hmmm.

A billionaire bought 8 iPhones v7 for his dog.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/asia/china-richest-man-dog-iphones/

I also saw a picture of the dog with an Apple Watch on each of the front paws.

I imagine that when the dog starts wearing the Airpods that they will fall out. Probably.

Nothing was said about how many pairs will be needed.

Nor what would be listened to.

It must be the W1 chip that convinced the need for switching from iPhone to iPhone to iPhone.

Easily.

No word on what Siri voice was to be used.

Maybe Alaskan. Probably Chinese. Mandarin.

17. Shelleyldiaz Suspended

I think I will go for Spigen Airpods as they are cheaper than apple airpods and spigen brand value is also good.

18. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

I'm sure some sort of tether will be sold separately as an accessory. and of course Apple will make them in several colorful styles.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

For people comparing battery life, try making an apples to apples comparison. All the truly wireless earbuds have much less battery life. Usually 1-2 hours. Apple has more than 5.

Comparing Airpod battery to a headset with wires (like those annoying neckband ones) or big cans isn't a fair comparison.

Also, at $159 these are among the cheapest wireless earbuds you can buy. Most companies start theirs at $199 or $299 even.

20. evoga macrumors regular

evoga

Do you have to buy a separate AppleCare plan to cover the airpods?

21. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Yep I've been
    yep I've been saying this but people still feel they can compare bluebirds and powerbeats to the airpods.

A better comparison are the bragi dash/headphones or iconx.

The iconx has 1 hour of battery life - enough said.

Bragi dash has sub par blue youth connection and can only take calls from the right side. The form factor looks nice though.

Overall the airpods seem to be the best, have the best battery and blue connection is great according to reviews that I've read so far. Just the look of the mini cigarettes is the only negative that I see. I prefer the feel of EarPods over other types of earbuds you have to stuff into your ear canals.

22. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502a

Optical sensors and motion accelerometers work with the W1 chip to automatically control the audio and engage the microphone, giving you the ability to use one or both AirPods. They also enable AirPods to play sound as soon as they’re in your ears.

http://www.apple.com/airpods/

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

No thanks. For the price, a lot better sound can be had.

24. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Considering a purchase, but fear I'm deluding myself that they would fit better than the standard EarPods do in my ears. The EarPods fit OK, but work their way out. Wondering if the lack of a cord would allow them to stay put better than the wired ones.

I only typically use headphones outdoors, so am hopeful the W1 chip improves the connectivity (really gets spotty outdoors when the phone is in my pocket.) Could look at one of the Beats versions that is going to have that chip as well, but then they don't come with the cool case that also chargeds the Pods back up! :p