Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying apples new wireless AirPods?

• Total voters

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yes they are returnable if you don't like them is why I would try them out, but if you lose one well that is my biggest concern. I guess just be careful until one makes a decision.After that, be even more careful. :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I will probably buy them to test them out. I'm very picky when it comes to sound quality, even with earbuds. Waiting to get my hands on some Bose Sound Sport Wireless. Will test those vs. the AirPods. I will return the pair I like less.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I had an old broken pair of earpods so I cut the cords on them and am wearing them around to see if losing the wire might make them a bit more comfortable. This may help me determine if I buy them or not. After wearing them for a bit it is making me lean toward looking for something else.

Reactions: OzyOly

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I agree 100%. I really like the sound of the EarPods, but my right one always pops out. My left one stays put unless I turn my head.

Does it pop out on its own or because of the cord movement? I notice if I put my phone in my pocket the cord on the other side gets a bit more tug and therefore makes the earpod less comfortable/more prone to slipping. Being cordless should resolve that.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Does it pop out on its own or because of the cord movement? I notice if I put my phone in my pocket the cord on the other side gets a bit more tug and therefore makes the earpod less comfortable/more prone to slipping. Being cordless should resolve that.

The right side pod just doesn't fit so it pops out. The left falls out from even the gentlest movement of the cord.
I had thought of getting the 79 dollar EarPods because they have rubber tips, but the reviews only had about 3 stars.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
London
For me it's between airpods and beats solo 3. However I can't help but worry about the 2 hour battery life for calls on the airpods especially when compared to the crazy battery life on the Solo 3's

recurrence

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
I'm buying them! I had the Solo 3 but brought them back as I wasn't happy with the sound quality but the technology in them was amazing. I'm willing to put half the Solo 3 price into supporting the tech, Apple hit it OUT OF THE PARK!

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Optical sensors and motion accelerometers work with the W1 chip to automatically control the audio and engage the microphone, giving you the ability to use one or both AirPods. They also enable AirPods to play sound as soon as they’re in your ears.

http://www.apple.com/airpods/
Nobody is disputing that, but that does not answer the question of whether or not music can be played by one Airpod by itself. I merely quoted conflicting reviews of the product in regards to the ability to play music with one Airpod or not. The product page that Apple has for the Airpods is not very clear on a number of items.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I'm genuinely torn. I find the earbuds very comfortable, but hate the wires. I love my jaybirds (v1, in the over the ear, behind the neck config so never feel the wires), but they are a little big for my tiny ears even with comply tips. A wait and see from me..

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Nobody is disputing that, but that does not answer the question of whether or not music can be played by one Airpod by itself. I merely quoted conflicting reviews of the product in regards to the ability to play music with one Airpod or not. The product page that Apple has for the Airpods is not very clear on a number of items.
I suppose anything is open to interpretation, but "the ability to use one or both AirPods" sounds pretty straightforward to me.

But you're right, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. One site said you can pause your music by removing one or both AirPods, another site said if you remove one it will pause but if you remove both it will resume playing through the iPhone's speaker. I'm wondering if they just haven't ironed out all the details yet.

Last edited:

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
What's your point? Least they won't get lost if one falls out.
The point is that Jaybirds aren't a very equal comparison to airpods and other truly wireless headphones because they have that wire between them. Sure there are comparisons that can be made between truly wireless headphones and regular BT headphones, but it doesn't really make much sense to do so. Sure the airpods could be misplaced more easily because there is no wire tethering them to each other, but the whole point of their design is to not have that wire between the earpieces. If that is a concern for someone then they really shouldn't consider buying them. It'd be like badmouthing a convertible car because you can't haul a family of 6 in it.

Reactions: Dmaynard83

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I would have made the purchase, but they aren't compatible with my 6S plus.

I might buy the Beats Bluetooth earphones instead.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
If confirmed to work with earlier iphones i might buy them. I still like the look of the beats earphones tho
Never really thought about it, but at the minimum your phone would probably have to support Siri, since that's the way you change volume?!? I would think the playback control volume slider would work as well, even if the device didn't support Siri, but I hear ya! Their lack of clear info is astounding.

Found this on one the Q&A, FWIW. That seems to support the idea that the device myst have Siri, as I think Siri only works with iPhone 5 and up?

According to Apple, these work with:

iPhone Models

iPhone 5
iPhone 5c
iPhone 5s
iPhone SE
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus

iPad Models

iPad mini 2
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Pro (12.9-inch)

iPod Models

iPod touch 6th Generation

Watch Models

38mm Case
42mm Case

Source: Apple website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.