Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Exactly what are you people saying to your voice searches that you wouldn't want the NSA hearing? I don't think they care about you googling when a movie starts or how to get to your destination.

I guess it's too late, more or less every thread in the past month or so has been full of NSA comments. I'm not sure why anyone was surprised by that news, and I'm even less sure why anyone cares. If you truly have something to hide you should be smart enough not to talk about it blatantly on a cell phone. Use codes for god's sake. Hasn't anyone here seen a heist movie?

Anyway, I think Google Now is awesome, I think it's better than Siri, and I never use the voice search option. Well, maybe like, twice a month when I'm driving. I think the way Moto wants to implement it is interesting, but I don't have faith it will work nearly as well as advertised. And I would put actual money on that battery not getting even 16 hours of what I consider every day use, let alone 24. If Moto can do anything other companies can't (in terms of cell phones these days), then I somehow wound up in an alternate universe. Every experience I've had with their products for the past 10 years has been a nightmare.

centavar

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Exactly what are you people saying to your voice searches that you wouldn't want the NSA hearing? I don't think they care about you googling when a movie starts or how to get to your destination.

It's not what you say to your phone, but what you say around your phone as it's always listening.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It's not what you say to your phone, but what you say around your phone as it's always listening.

The phone itself is listening, but it doesn't send any data until after you trigger it with the "Ok, Google now" command.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

From what i've read, it uses a special chip for listening passively for only a key phrase. Once the phrase it heard, it then wakes the phone up for more advanced processing.

If the phone is in a deep sleep while this thing does its job waiting for that key phrase, I'll feel pretty ok about it.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
after checking out the the always listening and the customization options stuff, i've gone crazy for this phone, cant wait for it to hit verizon, will definitely go for the developer edition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.