Ok so seriosuly how much is this plan altogether int he First Month?! HELP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcflirty99, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mcflirty99 macrumors member

Ok I plan on buying the black iphone 16 GB and the white 16 GB iphone 3g on my birthday when I turn 18 so that I can buy it under my name...

But the thing is even though I am 18 years of age will they still do a credit check? (the only credit that I think I have is paying the internet road runner bills so i don't know if this is sufficient credit)

Ok since my sister and I are in college we plan on getting the familytalkplan
    [​IMG]

So I will be getting that one (do you think this is enough for college students?)

Also, I need to know the first bill month so that I can be financially ready when the bill comes in the mail since I am very uber poor.

So please tell me whoever has the same exact route as mine including the two iphones costs, activation fee, setup fee, first time contract fee, etc (i don't know anything my first time setting up a cellphone)

So like this:

iPhone 16GB White.................$299.99
    iPhone 16GB Black..................$299.99
    Activation Fee.........................$36.00

^ If anyone could do this for me, I would SO appreciate it.

Also, I know of the refer a friend to ATT get $25 off thingy...

As well as the Tsm4 or something cellphone text plan...

If someone could get me that in the plan diagram as well I WOULD Appreciate it.

Thank you macrumors clan!

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you doubt you'll be able to pay the first month right now then I suggest you wait a little longer and save more money, and get a job.

yes they will run a credit check. i doubt you'll have sufficient credit and will probably have to put a deposit, i think its a refundable deposit though. I dont know how much it'll be because I dont have a family plan. Maybe someone who does can help you on that.

3. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Don't know about the rest of it, but this doesn't get you $25.00 off. It gets you a $25.00 gift card about 4-6 weeks after your application is approved.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

5. weeman macrumors 6502

Well you have to take into account that they might prorate your plan if you are currently an ATT member so your pricing for the first month could go up considerably due to that prorated charge

6. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I transferred my number over from Sprint when I signed up for AT&T. I decided to switch, simply because I wanted an iPhone.

Although, they never ran a credit check. At least, not to my knowledge. I took care of everything in the Apple store.

7. Foamer macrumors regular

My first bill was $210.34.

Also, they charged me a ridiculous $500 deposit when I bought the phone thanks to my psycho ex-fiance taking out credit cards in my name last year, and slightly denting my credit.

I have the 450 minute plan with unlimited texts, and came over from Verizon. Got a fresh new phone number instead of transferring my old one.

Don't get it if you don't think you can afford it. It will put a dent in your credit if you cant pay the bills in a timely manner.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

slightly dented huh? $500 deposit doesn't sound very slight when AT&T is giving phones to anyone who are breathing =).

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

[​IMG]

10. Foamer macrumors regular

Had amazing credit before I met said psycho. :mad:

The guy at the apple store said they were taking $500 deposits for quite a few people with little credit history, or damaged credit. Sad thing is, at 25, I am making $86,000/yr. I have no problem paying my bills, and know how to handle my finances. It does not matter to AT&T; they will charge whatever they please.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Pull a credit report and see.

p.s. I am happy for you that you make SO much money.

12. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Well, I haven't gotten my first bill yet, but with pro-rating in effect (I bought mine on Aug 5), my first bill is supposed to be $240 (I'm on the 450 minute individual plan).

So make sure when you sign a contract, you take into account pro-rated bills and additional fees.

I'm also 18 with NO CREDIT and had to pay only a $150 deposit. Keep that in mind as well as that has to be paid when getting the phone.

13. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Make sure you really need that many anytime minutes each month. We have three phones on our Family Plan and only have the 700 minute plan. Most of our longer calls are to other AT&T mobile customers (family, each other, etc.), so we usually are using the unlimited M2M minutes. Our rollover balance is quite large. If there was a smaller plan for less money, we'd be using it.

14. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

This should be reason enough not to do this yet.

16. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

omg please tell me how much it was...

maybe i might change the minutes plan to 700

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

If you are really poor and just starting out an iPhone is not for you. You will pay a large deposit, you will have to come up with your first bill with the usual AT&T prorating added on. You have to consider what texting plan you are going to add to the above cost's you listed. Really this is a bad idea imho.

18. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

19. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Your first bill with AT&T will be for one full month and depending on when your billing cycle starts a few prorated day's.

Go to your AT&T store and talk with them. They can tell you what your deposit will be and explain the billing much better than we can here.

20. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

If you're not sure you can pay off the first bill, then perhaps, I would seek another phone. But moving on...

My guess is,assuming credit is good, and leaving out taxes and pro-rated fees since these are obviously somewhat variable:

2 16gig iphones:$598
    2x activation fee: $72
    1 month's bill:$149.99

total: $819.99 before taxes and pro-rated charges.

when someone pro-rates you, you get charged for however many days you use the phone(or whatever other service-based object) up to the next billing period. Say I open up a new line today, but the billing period normally starts on Sep 5th. In the case of AT&T, in addition to paying for the following month, I would be responsible for also paying for use between now and the 5th.

On a somewhat brighter note, given that you are in college, I would see if your school has an FAN agreement with AT&T, which could get you some savings. Now I don't know if its cause I work at an on-campus coffee shop, or because I just go to the school, all I know is I get 15% off my bill, though, not the greatest discount, but it pretty much takes off the $10 increase on the data plan. I also, for some reason managed to score $50 off my first bill...definitely worth looking into.

If you're still insistent on getting the phone, what are you doing here? Go to a store and ask for more info!! they'll be able to help you out far more than anyone here could.

21. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

dude thanks so much...

do you have aim or msn ? i want to ask you more.....

and thanks so much once again the reason i don't feel comfortable asking att/apple is that they might not tell me of these special fan accounts or premier accounts and might charge me more...

can you please tell me how prorating thing is?

so if i buy the iphone on sept.4 i only pay for one dya???

22. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Just PM me, Im on here fairly often.

And, though I was only using Sep 5 as an EXAMPLE(not implying stupidity, just making sure you understand thats not the start of an actual billing cycle)...

yes, you would only pay for one day extra. Though in all likelyhood, you will be paying for a multiple days of use no matter what. Im not sure that there are actually set billing dates. The example I gave was really based on looking at my bill. I purchased on a 14th, cycle ended on the 19th, my next bill comes the 19th of september. I got charged for use between the 14th and 19th, and I have to pay for the month of september up till the 19th.

I would still go to a store...that way you can know exactly what you would be paying on your first bill. Not sure if ATT or apple would do this too, but Parrot Cellular(authorized retailer) will actually print out a pretty accurate estimate of what your first bill would look like. Also, I highly doubt anyone is gonna try and charge you more than they should. This actually brings up a good point about reading the fine print before signing anything. Just look over the charges, the plan, etc.. and you'll be fine.

23. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

oh!!! pm you here on mr i thought you meant on aim/msn......

sorry didn't want to sound like a stalker! hahah over lke 700 people are looking at this topic RIGHT NOW LMFAO

How would I know what the charging prorating date will be? Is it like a universal date or like individual based day?

Yea well i don't have a parrot cellular place and i plan on buying it at apple store than att since i heard att they like uber don't allow you to trade1

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

wtf?

Dude, just call AT&T.

Seriously, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Having an iPhone won't make you cool, bro. Sorry.

25. mcflirty99 thread starter macrumors member

well i want to be financially prepared. i want to be the cool kid on the block with an iphone ok?

please offer support not like motherly advice

ty