Ok, so who`s NEVER had a serious hardware issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fubar1977, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

GGJStudios pointed out in an earlier thread (quite correctly) that, understandably, people usually only post when they have a problem, leading to an overwhelming impression that the MBP can be trouble prone.
    Let`s redress the balance a little, who`s NEVER had to deal with a significant hardware problem with their Mac.
    (I haven`t, but I only switched a couple of months ago so I don`t really count, yet).

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have yet to have one on any of my Intel based Macs. My only trouble was with my Ti Powerbook. It's hard drive died after it was shaken while starting up.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of those people are happily using their MBPs and never frequent a forum like this at all

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

5. calb macrumors 6502

I haven't had any hardware issues with my MBP. Before the MBP I had a MB, and in its first year I had a failed hard disk and RAM.

6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i had a 160 GB 5400 rpm hard drive fail after 4 years of insane use, other then that never had a hardware or software issue

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

iBook G4, gone to good home - still in use. Early MPB 15". Two Minis, one sill in use - the other (1st gen Intel) looking for a good home.... was working great when it was retired. 2008 Mac Pro. No issues, other than the power supply for the ACD connected to the Mac Pro. It arrived DOA, and once it was replaced it too has worked with no problems.

Now I have to go and knock on some wood, eh?

My wife's experience has been less trouble free, but you didn't ask us to talk about other's issues....:)

8. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Wow. A very rapid chorus of "No Probs here". I Kind of figured that might be the case :)

I left software issues etc. out because of the Huge no. of variables with non-Apple stuff etc. Just curious about build-quality overall- particularly long-term users with experience of various Apples.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No probs here. Then again, my MBP is only 4-5 months old :confused:

10. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Out of 15 macs (not all mine - i'm including girlfriends, close friends, and macs from work) the only mac that hasn't had a SERIOUS issue is my 15" mid 2007 MBP. Yes, the only one without is a problem is a MBP with a 8600M GT that has been beaten to near death.

11. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

I have had 2 Macbooks, 2 Macbook Pros, a 24" iMac, 2 eMacs, a PowerMac G5 Dual, a G4 cube, and two Mac Minis over the years...

The only problem I ever had was with the PowerMac G5, but I bought it that way. Leaky liquid cooling. If anybody has one, I advise checking it for leaks frequently.

Other than that, absolutely ZERO issues. All were bought brand new through Apple except the G4 cube and PowerMac G5.

12. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Out of the four macs I've owned (I still use all four of them) the only time I've had one serviced is to get the battery replaced on my MBP after 2 years. I think the DVD drive is shot in my core solo mini, but I never use the drive so I haven't dealt with it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None. Zip. Bupkus. Nada. Zilch. Niente. Nil. Zero. Goose egg. <1
    (2.5 years on current MBP. Average use: 10-16 hours/day, every day)

14. newtype2011 macrumors newbie

I haven't had a serious issue with my 13" MBP, however, my keyboard sometimes touches the screen (transfers grease and smudges). It's very annoying and I want to make a stink of it out of principal, but it honestly isn't worth a trip to see a Genius, IMHO.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Looking at my family's systems, these held for over a year to over 5 years:
    * 12" iBook, purchased 5/05, sold 7/09. No failures.
    * 13" White MacBook, purchased 1/08, "destroyed" by getting wet, repaired. Still in use.
    * 13" Al MacBook, purchased 6/09. No failures
    * 17" G5 iMac, purchased 12/04. Will not wake from sleep. Is that serious?
    * 20" C2D iMac, purchased 11/06. Display replaced after 2 years. Gave away and still in use.
    *24" iMac, purchased 7/08. No failures
    *24" iMac, purchased 6/09. No failures.

Ignoring my damage, 1 out of 7 had a "serious hardware issue". This is no better or worse than I was getting buying Dell computers from their Small Business devision before I switched to Macs. Both are much better than I was getting with "white box" computers before that.

This ignores "Mighty Mice" which have all had serious hardware issues from day one.

Others less than a year old, no repairs.

16. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Never had any computer freeze as often as my 15" 2008 MBP and 17" 2009 MBPs. Fortunately for Apple most users stay within the secure boundaries of: "If it doesn't work that way then don't do it." or "You hold your phone the wrong way." :apple:

The worst annoyance is the unusable ExpressCard slot on those modells: kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) 56080 1: Unrecoverable HW error detected.

17. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I should probably have been a bit clearer, serious meaning hardware failure which prevents you using the computer in a normal manner, logic boards/screens etc.
    A hard drive dying at 4 years is normal wear and tear, like new brake pads on your car.
    Macs are premium products (or at least priced that way :D) so I expect first rate design AND build quality for that price.
    I`m quite sure the millions of totally trouble-free Mac users never even look at sites like MR but some of you do and it hopefully makes a nice change from reading about all the problems.
    As an aside, switching to Mac has made me start feeling all nostalgic about my old Amiga`s for some reason, I guess OS X kind of resembles a "cutting edge workbench" to me.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha, I do. I'm here everyday because of the entertainment. The funniest parts are watching posters making a mountain out of a molehill when they have problems. Constantly blowing up the issue and making it sound tons more major than it really is, then they followup their post with the red angry face. LOL. Pure comedy. :D

Oh, and no problems here with my 15" Core i5 MBP. In fact my iMac 24" started having screen issues almost 3 years of having it. Apple swapped me out for a 27" Core i7 and no problems at all.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Got my first Mac (SE) in 1989 or so. Have owned 5 desktops and 3 laptops. Only issues I've ever had was a bad 15" color monitor and a power supply that went on an iMac G5.

20. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

First two "new Macs" I owned were in 2006: a Core Duo Black MacBook and a Core 2 Duo 17" iMac... never a problem with either.

October 2009 I had a 13" MBP that I never had a problem with.

21. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

This is the first Mac I have ever owned and as soon as I got it I had to have it replaced straight away.

It kept giving me that Kernal Panic every 5 minutes :(

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No problem with iMac and Mini and my first mac the 12" PowerBook. However every laptop i've owned since has given me one problem or another.

-15" PowerBook kept freezing and refusing to wake from sleep
    -My Core Duo MBP wanted to burn me and prevent me from having children (too hot)
    -Early 08 MBP 8600GT died
    -Early 09 MBP had dead pixels but nothing else major since.

23. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

So far so good here! The thing has literally never made a hiccup, with the exception of a few application crashes.

24. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I do find it interesting that many people who do have hardware problems seem to have several, often different, problems with one machine.
    It would appear that, to a point, :apple:`s Q/C is generally pretty good with the occasional "Friday Afternoon" machine getting out.