Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
There won't be a completely open file system. When will people understand that computing is moving away from file systems in the way that cars moved away from easy to access engines to engines tucked away under plastic, only accessible by those who really know what they're doing?
Yes that's so good for the consumer! :rolleyes:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
There won't be a completely open file system. When will people understand that computing is moving away from file systems in the way that cars moved away from easy to access engines to engines tucked away under plastic, only accessible by those who really know what they're doing?

I don't think anyone is realistically asking for the system files to be open and accessible as they are in most other operating systems.

Just my own data.

In your car analogy keeping the system folder hidden is like hiding the engine under plastic, but not letting you access your own voicemails or upload photos through the browser is like welding the car doors shut so you can only get in and out through the sunroof.

Phazer

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Yes that's so good for the consumer! :rolleyes:

Actually, it is good for the consumer. It means people can't mess things up by deleting files (like a friend of mine who accidentally deleted his boot sector...) or by messing around with critical system files, in the same way that you can't mess around with your fuel pump in your car unless you know what you're doing. Apple's ethos here is simplicity, and hiding away stuff you don't need to know about. Which, IMHO, is a good thing.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I vote for a better youtube app, offline navigation with option to install local maps depending on where you are, slightly improved email app, gesture based app switcher/app closing etc like zephyr and support for a guest account.

Top of the list is offline navigation. While it may hurt vendors like TomTom or Navigon etc....other platforms are offering it now like WP7 on nokia phones.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There are phones out there that offer what you guys are looking for. Makes more sense then literally wishing your current phone did those things.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
offline navigation with option to install local maps depending on where you are, .

Top of the list is offline navigation. While it may hurt vendors like TomTom or Navigon etc....other platforms are offering it now like WP7 on nokia phones.

you can do this in google maps/navigation for android. But since apple & google are at war i dont think google will give ios these features.

apple need their own map/navigation soulution to do something like this. Theyre supposed to be working on it though.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I would love to have google navigation on my iPhone, that really the only feature i miss. Well i'd like some widgets too, but i can do without those. Google navigation would be the nail in the coffin though for android.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I would love to have google navigation on my iPhone, that really the only feature i miss. Well i'd like some widgets too, but i can do without those. Google navigation would be the nail in the coffin though for android.

I think navigation will come in iOS 6. With iOS 5 they had iCloud, a huge project to deal with but in iOS 6 they should concentrate more on iOS itself and some big features.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Judging from the Mountain Lion I think they'll add pictures adding ability to the Notes app.

And unify the address bar and the search field in the Safari.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
NFC enabled digital wallet.

If anyone can pull this off it would be Apple. Okay here goes:

Apple creates an iWallet app, I would put it on my dock. iWallet basically has cards that you can flick through in cover flow style and see some basic details below it. The cards can be used through NFC. To get a card into the wallet, you create an app which adds a card to the digital wallet, and the app handles more advanced functions.

Two examples:

Public Transport

I live in Perth, Australia and we use the smartcard system for our public transport, similar to the oyster system in the UK. The company is called Transperth.

Transperth could create an app and it would add the card to the iWallet app. To 'tag on' I'd open the iWallet app, key in a 4 digit pin if required, navigate to the card and hold it to the tag on device. From there, I could tap an icon and go to the Transperth app and do things like check timetables, check my route/location, top up my credit etc.

Banking

Banks could do something similar. We've all heard of PayWave/Pass? Commonwealth Bank of Australia have created an app and are selling NFC iP4/S cases to do just that. The iWallet app simply provides a quick access point for one of the features already implemented by this app - perhaps even only the "most used card" would show up.

Future

The future of this would lead to not needing a wallet. People would still own one and carry real money of course for a long time, but if I want to just go down the road and pick up some groceries, I don't *need* my wallet.

In the future, states/countries could issue ID's to phones even. Police would need an NFC reader to confirm identity perhaps, but nothing more than what transit guards already use. It would even allow for licenses to update information such as expiry, name, photo etc quickly and efficiently.

Personally, I think phones with NFC readers would be a good thing in emergency situations. I would appreciate a medic or police officer to be able to check my phone to work out who I am in a simple pass of a device, without needing to know my password (with appropriate authentication of course).

Of course, there would have to be a standard eventually so that any phone can do it, but like I said, if anyone can do it and start the ball rolling, Apple can.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
I don't think anyone is realistically asking for the system files to be open and accessible as they are in most other operating systems.

Just my own data.

In your car analogy keeping the system folder hidden is like hiding the engine under plastic, but not letting you access your own voicemails or upload photos through the browser is like welding the car doors shut so you can only get in and out through the sunroof.

Phazer

Agree. OR MAYBE AN APP to store files(sorted by extensions in folders) in one place and allow me to transfer them in/out via windows/mac filesystem. Also, there is an added feature to open files in any of the corresponding apps installed on ios..this would be a cool way to manage/store files..

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Snooze button for calendar alerts.

It's only been 5 iterations of the iPhone and they still haven't implemented a critical option for business users.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
It's only been 5 iterations of the iPhone and they still haven't implemented a critical option for business users.

Sorry, the snooze button is a critical option for business users or are you referring to something else? I would hardly call a snooze button critical, a nuisance or important, but certainly not critical.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Sorry, the snooze button is a critical option for business users or are you referring to something else? I would hardly call a snooze button critical, a nuisance or important, but certainly not critical.
You don't use your Calendar on your iPhone for events/reminders I would assume? Because if you did, you would understand how important it is. Any business user who previously used a Windows Mobile phone got accustomed to this simple feature.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
You don't use your Calendar on your iPhone for events/reminders I would assume? Because if you did, you would understand how important it is. Any business user who previously used a Windows Mobile phone got accustomed to this simple feature.

I'd say the problem is probably more related to the fact I've never had a windows phone so I never got accustomed to it. I still stand by it not being "critical" for anyone, despite the negative vote. Making a call is critical. Snoozing isn't.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Sounds like somebody needs to go get themselves an Android. Does 90% of what you're asking for. Plus you don't have to have a phone designed for hobbits.

Apple will simply never allow you do do half the stuff you've listed. For example, full Bluetooth support, you'll be lucky, that would mean them admitting there are alternatives to the iPhone on the market,

Last edited:

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Lots of these ideas are nice but there is a reson all of these things arent in the phone. Sounds like most of you need android and/or a jailbreak. I have used most all the mentioned stuff on a JB iphone and rooted android device.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
The one and only upgrade that is a must have for me is the ability to silence notifications during a phone call. I hate having the phone up to my ear and having my text alert sound nearly blast out my ear drum. I am forced to ask the person I am speaking with to repeat what he just said. Even the vibration is quite loud when I switch the phone to silent.

I've submitted this to Apple numerous times. I know it seems like a little thing, but this might be a deal killer for me if not available in the next iOS.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
The one and only upgrade that is a must have for me is the ability to silence notifications during a phone call. I hate having the phone up to my ear and having my text alert sound nearly blast out my ear drum. I am forced to ask the person I am speaking with to repeat what he just said. Even the vibration is quite loud when I switch the phone to silent.

I've submitted this to Apple numerous times. I know it seems like a little thing, but this might be a deal killer for me if not available in the next iOS.

I agree with this . I just got my first iPhone this month . I have always resisted but have a lot of experience having iPod Touches from the beginning (real beginning no apps stone age) . but I jumped ship from Blackberries finally and don't want Android (got enough with my Kindle Fire) . My main complaint which has been since the beginning I don't like the phone portion not enough to get rid of it but I don't like it.

One feature I would like already mentioned is I really want podcast subscriptions I do not sync my phone or touch to my computer enough so I just have to know days my pods come to iTunes and download manually.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

There are plenty of ways that Apple could enable putting photos up through a browser (and whatever else you want) without ever making any kind of accessible filesystem. The constant demand for a filesystem is amazing for its single-mindedness and inability to imagine other ways to achieve the same ends.

EDIT: Also Apple has thought of everything suggested in this thread already and their decisions will not be changed one iota from people posting anything. if you want to make a wish list, knock yourself out but Apple isn't listening for your advice.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
There are plenty of ways that Apple could enable putting photos up through a browser (and whatever else you want) without ever making any kind of accessible filesystem. The constant demand for a filesystem is amazing for its single-mindedness and inability to imagine other ways to achieve the same ends.

...which would become a filesystem.

As I've said before, iOS HAS a filesystem. The photos app is a file system. It's just a rubbish, limited one.

The point at which is does everything that is required (any app can upload/download information for any other app, any personal data or my files can easily be transferred on and off the device in ways that subject to Apple censorship, any app can access the metadata of those files and present it) then it's a file system.

I've not said anything about the user interface for such a file system. I've never asked for Finder.

EDIT: Also Apple has thought of everything suggested in this thread already and their decisions will not be changed one iota from people posting anything. if you want to make a wish list, knock yourself out but Apple isn't listening for your advice.

That is certainly what people said about MMS prior to iOS3.

Apple might well act stubbornly. Indeed, more likely than not. But any suggestion that there are absolutes is quite stupid.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.