Ok...What about to those who have a 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThunderApple, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Im glad the iPhone 4 is coming out this month but what about to those who already have an iPhone 3GS? I got my 3GS in Sept 2009 and the iPhone 4 is coming out in able two weeks.

What should i do to get it? Is there a way to trade in my 3GS and get the 4 for a cost? Or do i have to buy the iPhone 4 for $299? What are the options of me getting the iPhone4? I got a text saying:

"A Full discount on a stander handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 1/6/20111. We can offfer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee...etcetc"

I dont get it. What are my options on getting the iPhone 4 on release date?

Thanks Everyone :apple:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No trading.
    Search, hell watch the forums they're exploding with questions just like this, and you will either get an early upgrade price, a discount on the phone itself if you want to upgrade but it won't be the $200 and $300 pricing, or you buy outright.

Welcome to contracts 101.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

iPhone 4 16gb $399
    iPhone 4 32gb $499

thats the early upgrade price. your upgrade date is 1/06 so you dont qualify for the early upgrade offer. mine was 12/24 so I get the full upgrade. tough break.

4. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Makes ABSOULUTELY no sesne to me...

I bought my iPhone 3GS on launch day (just like my 3G and 2G ) and my eligibility date is 2/22/2011 !!! which is AFTER your date, but i purchased it more than 2 months before...:confused:

5. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by that? And sorry, the 3GS was my first iPhone.
    If i go on the release date or to a Apple Store and ask if i can upgrade, WILL i be able too? Regardless of a discount or not.

6. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So is there a way I can buy the iPhone 4 seperatly? So i can just switch my sim card?

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See the upgrade guide linked in my sig.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

when you activate it it should switch to the iphone 4 automaticly

And the upgrade date is all about how much $ you spend in the course of the year. I bought my 3GS on july 22nd last year and I have a full upgrade. my bill is typically $98 a month.

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

The upgrade date also goes by paying your bill on time, among other things. Not saying that you do not, but there is more than just how much you spend.

10. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I spend about $105 a month and always on time. So i dont get it..

11. canderton macrumors member

you wouldn't be able to do that anyway because the iPhone 4 uses a micro-sim

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

yes, you can just buy the phone without commitment and get a sim card from your carrier.

Edit: but it makes more sense financially to take the early upgrade price that AT&T is offering.

Try calling AT&T and asking about your upgrade eligibility. It helped one guy.

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Concur. I'm very confused. We are still 2011 and we all got the iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3GS on the release date. We were always allowed to upgrade and resign a 2 year contract.

14. epifan macrumors newbie

no clue

I bought 3gs last July or so, and it say that I am eligible for a standard upgrade now. Go figure .... it has not been a year since. But my son's phone that I bought almost two years ago, says the upgrade date is in september.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

IF you bought your iPhone in June of 2009, your normal upgrade date would be December of 2010 and you should be eligible to upgrade now based on AT&T bumping all 2010 upgrades.

If you bought your iPhone in July of 2009 or anytime after, your normal upgrade would fall in 2011. You will have to either:

A) Wait until 2011
    B) Call AT&T to see if you are eligible for the early upgrade pricing
    C) Purchase the iPhone at the full un-subsidized pricing

Edit: It's possible that AT&T has not finished updating everyone's account. The best way to answer these questions is to call AT&T. Nobody in this forum can tell you for sure. We are all just guessing.

16. arykmax macrumors regular

If you are spending $105 a month, you are spending less than $100 before taxes.

17. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The 2G was not subsidized by the carrier so you could upgrade whenever you wanted to.

The 3G was subsidized, which means that upgrading to a 3GS was trickier, as AT&T (et al) had already paid for part of your hardware and didn't want you to upgrade before 2 years.

18. g8orballboy macrumors regular

WRONG... i bought my phone on launch day but my upgrade date is 2/20/11. I have a family plan and i'm the primary number but neither mine or my wife's phone is elligible. I know people that have the same deal as me, pay the same amount and got there's on the same day and they were elligible. This whole thing is making me rather upset. I called AT&T and was on the phone with 3 different people (seeing how the first two put me on hold and the OF COURSE the call dropped... thanks AT&T)... and none of them could tell me why i wasn't elligble and how most times at least the primary phone number in a family plan is ellible in the 12-18 month range (those who got there's pushed to June) instead of the typical 18-22... They said they use a VERY complex formula involving 150 different variables and it was impossible to tell why mine wasn't elligible. They kept asking if I had changed this or that in my account, missed any payments, or upgraded anything... I signed up on day 1 for auto payments and haven't touched my account since. I really wish it was more transparent... but its definitley not as simple as... person A's bill is $XXX.XX and person B's is $YYY.YY so thats why A is lucky and B is getting hosed.

rant over....

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Got this text from ATT...what does it mean?

So how much will the iPhone 4 cost me? I got a 3GS a few weeks after release. My upgrade date was 11.10 last time I checked last week.

Attached Files:

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Same for me, but I was moved up.

OP should call AT&T and find out why the date hasn't moved.

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

it will be $199 or $299

3 of my friends who got the 3GS last year can all upgrade and get the $199 price

22. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

What if it says " I can buy one at full retail" will i be able to sign for 2 years and get $399 or am I stuck with $599

23. Pummy24 macrumors newbie

Just upgraded to 3gs

I just upgraded a couple of weeks ago due to losing my 3g in a portajohn. What are my options? Did it figuring 16g would come down to 99$ and would get my 100 back. Not the case though. Might as well get the new one though if It is possible? only gonna get 50 back. Have a feeling I screwed myself on this one.

24. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I bought the 3G on release day, and got it subsidized because the original was not as was said earlier. When I preordered the 3GS AT&T told me I was not eligible for an upgrade, so I was charged full price for my 32gb phone. Then 2 weeks later, I got an email from them apologizing and then $200 refunded to me. I am eligible now for subsidized pricing on my phone and my wifes. I imagine they should do the same for everyone. I'm not special. No reason for them to do anything for me. Just pre order the phone, you want it, you're gonna buy it.. Why wait... In the end, I'm sure you'll get the subsidized price.

25. Macdicted macrumors regular

I purchased mine on June 19th too. My bill is $89 a month including taxes.

I'm eligible NOW !