Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
So I bought a MacBook Pro and the ipod touch "for free."

You have to remove the sticker off of the MacBook Pro box with all the labels and info like serial numbers on it. Wtf? I might need it on the box later for repairs or applecare or something. Can I just scan it and send a printed copy of the scan?

Also, for the ipod touch part. I got the ipod touch because i thought i could sell it. You have to open up the box and take the UPC label off of the inside and send it? So basically you have to open it, rendering it not NIB anymore, just to send in a freakin label? Can I scan this one also?

What are your experiences on this matter? I'm considering just returning the ipod. seeing as I have two iphones and a 2nd generation white brick ipod. I didn't need the touch in the first place.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Not that this helps now but for future reference if you buy at apple.com instead of the store you don't have to send in anything or do any ppwk whatsoever...I got my printer and ipod rebate without any hassle and sold them both.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Did you buy it from an Apple Retail Store? It doesn't sound like you did because you should only have to mail anything in if you bought it from a Campus Store..

Buying from Apple.com or an Apple Retail Store means you can just do everything online..

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Well it was Tax Free weekend and I bought it from the Campus bookstore.

I'm just going to return the ipod. I'm still within the 14 day return for the computer also, what's the restocking fee if i've already taken it out of the box?

Also, if i just returned everything and bought it online. I would have to pay tax which is a lot. (the reason i waited until tax free weekend)

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
any other opinions on this?? not sure what to do

cwhite16

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I wouldn't return it. Sure you have to sell it as out of the box, but whatever you sell it for is basically free money. Especially since you bought it on the tax free weekend.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
I'm just going to return the ipod. I'm still within the 14 day return for the computer also, what's the restocking fee if i've already taken it out of the box?

Serious? You're going to return a free ipod because you have to open it up? So what if it's opened? You lose like $10 in the resell value...

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I wouldn't return it. Sure you have to sell it as out of the box, but whatever you sell it for is basically free money. Especially since you bought it on the tax free weekend.

They had to tax the iPod.

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
But once you apply for the rebate you get the money for the iPod back anyway, so I don't understand what the problem with that is... ?

Waiting like 4 weeks for that money to come back. College is expensive. Taking the UPC label off my MBP box.. Maybe its just me but I don't feel comfortable with that. Also, taking the chance of sending my original receipt... What if it gets lost in the mail? Then I'm screwed. I scanned it and saved a copy to my computer but its still not the original. What if I have repair issues and they need the original receipt?

Dealing with the hassle of selling the iPod that I don't even need. I don't know if I should do it. I leave for college in a week. I keep asking myself, is it really worth the hassle?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What is all this bs? You don't send in receipts. Or any sort of paperwork. You fill out an online form with your receipt ID number (it's a long number found on the receipt) and you click submit. Wait a few weeks and it will arrive in your mailbox. Simple and easy. No UPC codes, no ripping off labels, no sending in receipts. And if you need a repair, you don't need a receipt. This is one of the many reasons why I love Apple, they actually are green. Not some company putting random bs out of their behinds.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
What is all this bs? You don't send in receipts. Or any sort of paperwork. You fill out an online form with your receipt ID number (it's a long number found on the receipt) and you click submit. Wait a few weeks and it will arrive in your mailbox. Simple and easy. No UPC codes, no ripping off labels, no sending in receipts. And if you need a repair, you don't need a receipt. This is one of the many reasons why I love Apple, they actually are green. Not some company putting random bs out of their behinds.

They have gotten better environmentally, but they aren't saving the world. The process you describe I believe was the method two-ish years ago.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
They have gotten better environmentally, but they aren't saving the world. The process you describe I believe was the method two-ish years ago.

It's still the process in the UK :mad:

And OP; yep, I'm fairly sure it's just you who wouldn't be comfortable with taking a label off a box, lol.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

I can't speak for the US Store but I've done this at a UK Apple Store and the online store and both ways you have to mail in the rebate form.

It's pretty easy to peel off the labels and it doesn't affect your warranty. Apple scan your serial number for repairs and they can pull up your info from that. Plus I've still got a good resale on my iPod even though it's been opened to remove the barcode.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Well it was Tax Free weekend and I bought it from the Campus bookstore.

Also, if i just returned everything and bought it online. I would have to pay tax which is a lot. (the reason i waited until tax free weekend)

FYI: If you have a discovercard (or get one) you can get 5% cashback when ordering online from apple which would offset a fair amount of the tax.

sab150

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
i completly undersatnd what the problem is!

i too live in the uk and want the free ipod deal but not 100% comfortable taking the stickers off the side of the box and like the guy said what happens if i need the macbook pro repairing in the future and have to send the original receipt?? ..cant you just send a copy?

i know its probably not a problem but im thinking is the potential hassle worth 100pounds (or whatever the ipod touch will sell for?)

is it possible to submit the rebate online if you buy instore in the uk?

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
is it possible to submit the rebate online if you buy instore in the uk?

I don't think it is, no. You can start it online but then you have to print out a form and mail it.

Apple don't ask for your original receipt for repairs. They know when you bought the computer from them or when you registered it. Sending your receipt in for this offer won't invalidate your warranty.

sab150

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I don't think it is, no. You can start it online but then you have to print out a form and mail it.

Apple don't ask for your original receipt for repairs. They know when you bought the computer from them or when you registered it. Sending your receipt in for this offer won't invalidate your warranty.

thanks for that! think id still want to keep hold of the reciept for piece of mind! what about activating apple care.. will i need it for that?

sorry to jump on this thread but im in the exact same dilemma

so my reciept will have:

macbook pro
23 led dsiplay
time capsule
ipod touch
keyboard
mouse
afew programs
apple care

and they want me to send the reciept for all of that? and never see it again? what happens if anything goes wrong with any of the other stuff on the list!?

grr dilemma.. makes waiting for the october refresh abit more tempting does this happen every year and will the 13macbook pro be refreshed by then??

thanks

sirjpbear

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
Process for Apple.com Store?

Hey,
I want to re-gift the iPod Touch, and wonder if anyone has actually gone through the process for the iPod Touch rebate online. If the entire process is online, do you still need to remove stickers/UPC's and physically mail them in to Apple... or will info/scans still work? What does removing stickers or UPC bar codes do to the warranty and repair process?
-Thanks!

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
What does removing stickers or UPC bar codes do to the warranty and repair process?
-Thanks!

Apple doesn't ask you to send in the box for warranty repairs. You can throw away the box as long as you register the computer/ipod with Apple and keep a copy of the receipt. It's a box after all...

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Waiting like 4 weeks for that money to come back. College is expensive. Taking the UPC label off my MBP box.. Maybe its just me but I don't feel comfortable with that. Also, taking the chance of sending my original receipt... What if it gets lost in the mail? Then I'm screwed. I scanned it and saved a copy to my computer but its still not the original. What if I have repair issues and they need the original receipt?

Dealing with the hassle of selling the iPod that I don't even need. I don't know if I should do it. I leave for college in a week. I keep asking myself, is it really worth the hassle?

I'm just curious where you bought your MBP? I bought mine at an Apple Store in the US and just had to submit my rebate via Apple's website and I was done. Nothing to cut off or remove to send in. I got my rebate checks (iPod and printer) in the mail within three weeks.

I realize you have to put the money out at first, but even with tax, you still stand to make $175-$200 by selling it. That a lot of money for beer, oops, I mean text books.

As for the receipt, you don't need the original. Apple seems to prefer e-mailing receipts these days than printing them out in the store. I've never had to present the receipt in order to get service on a Mac.

LTX

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can you do the online rebate in Canada? When I bought my Macbook and iPod Touch in July 2008, I had to mail the rebates (or maybe I just didn't notice an online option if there was one). Anyone have a link?

Apple Store online Canada said:
3. Submit your rebate.

After you receive our Mac and iPod, download the rebate coupon, and mail in the completed claim form by October 8, 2009.

Apple Store online USA said:
3. Submit your rebate.

After you receive your Mac and iPod, submit your claim online by October 8, 2009. Once your claim has been submitted, check your rebate status at any time.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Again, it's only if you buy from a Campus Store in the US that you have to mail in the docs. I don't know about other countries. OP if you're so worried about documents getting lost in the mail (which they won't) then do what I did and scan them before sending. You'll have a copy of everything on hand if you need them for some absurd reason.

The UPC label comes off the box very cleanly (you don't have to cut into it--trust me I understand your worries with having an ugly looking box but you'll be fine) and as for the iPod touch, I ended up selling mine for $160 even though it had been opened (the guy couldn't even tell it was opened---you can seal it up very easily and if you make sure to cut carefully only someone who has bought multiple iPod touches for some reason can tell).

Just get the iPod touch and get your free money and rest..

MB98XJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Again, it's only if you buy from a Campus Store in the US that you have to mail in the docs. I don't know about other countries. OP if you're so worried about documents getting lost in the mail (which they won't) then do what I did and scan them before sending. You'll have a copy of everything on hand if you need them for some absurd reason.

The UPC label comes off the box very cleanly (you don't have to cut into it--trust me I understand your worries with having an ugly looking box but you'll be fine) and as for the iPod touch, I ended up selling mine for $160 even though it had been opened (the guy couldn't even tell it was opened---you can seal it up very easily and if you make sure to cut carefully only someone who has bought multiple iPod touches for some reason can tell).

Just get the iPod touch and get your free money and rest..

Can I go ahead and sell the iPod touch before getting the rebate? Because whoever I sell it to won't get the UPC label. Which will be weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.