Okay to run MBP on a Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesr242, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jamesr242 macrumors member

I need a laptop to record some data from my motorcycle (trying to tune the carburetor with an O2 meter) while riding. Would it mess up my HDD to run it in a saddlebag while riding down the road? Can I get away with just wrapping it in some towels or something or should I just invest in a cheaper SSD?

I have the base 13" MBP by the way

Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

All hard drives go out eventually. Usually this is because of vibrations slowly affecting the drive over the course of a few years. Having the hard drive running while experiencing a lot of vibrations (from a motorcycle, for example), is probably going to help kill it sooner.

I think it would survive the trip, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found that is died sooner than expected. An SSD wouldn't have this problem, but obviously that's a few hundred dollars to purchase.

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

While I often travel with my mbp (and 2 PowerBooks before that) with my motorcycle, I always turn it of or leave it in sleep mode. The sleep mode has never done anything to the hds.

If it's only a short way on a good road it could be ok. But maybe someone else has more experience with this.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't know for sure but the vibrations and heat are a lot to ask of it. There has got to be a better way to do this than possibly sacrificing your MBP.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

how will you keep it recording while your riding? it will sleep when you close the lid.

6. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

You can turn that off using the terminal.

What kind of laptop do you need, OP? I would probably just get the cheapest netbook that I could - they have SSDs and are probably less likely to melt in a saddlebag.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think the fastest and surest way to kill a hard drive is to run it, while riding a motorcycle. If you want to "use" it, the laptop really should remain fairly still and stable, neither of which is the case on a motorcycle.

I'd get a cheap (is there one?) SSD for this, if you really need to do this.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

HDD's are cheap. It may or may not get screwed up but I think if you don't hit any major bumps it'll be fine. If you're already thinking of getting a SSD, backup the disk at home and if it goes, time for a SSD.

9. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

If you are willing to put the money in an SSD, why not just buy a dirt cheap hard drive, put that in, and if it dies it dies. Then once you are done with this project, put the HDD you have now back in and you are good to go.

10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Or just run mac os off a 16gb USB stick.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't even attempt to do what you're suggesting. It's one thing to carry a powered off or sleeping MBP on a bike, but not one that's running. The motion sensors would lock the HDD on the first bump and any apps would stop. Don't even think about doing this without a SSD.

12. m0no macrumors regular

I agree that I would not try this without at least using a SSD. Even so, I think I would pick up a cheap netbook to use instead. Then if something happens to it you're only out a couple hundred bucks and your macbook is still safe at home.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

People run laptops in cars and buses regularly. Why would running a laptop on a motorcycle be any different? All types of vehicles hit the same potholes.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

my thoughts exactly. Especially if it's just riding on a road.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Motorcycles don't have the same suspension that cars and buses do. The same pothole you might feel as a slight bump in your car would pound your kidneys on a bike. They're quite different!

16. spike8585 macrumors member

I also wouldn't wrap her in towels. She will overheat for sure. ;)

17. cababah macrumors 68000

This is entirely dependent on the type of car and motorcycle you are riding. There are some cars with extremely tight suspensions that send your jaw clinking together at every road imperfection as there are bikes out there with softer suspensions that feel like you are on an air mattress.

As long as he is not on a SS bike I don't see how it should be a huge issue but I still wouldn't do it ;)

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

19. Pau.c macrumors regular

I frequently have my MacbookPro on my motorbike!

i have a Honda Silverwing and i just wrap it in the sleeve and put it in my bag with a well padded towel and then i put it under the seat!

not had a problem yet!

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, but is it running while you're riding, as the OP is asking about?

21. cababah macrumors 68000

Read over the title again and now am thinking a more interesting question would be: "Okay to run Motorcycle on a MBP?"

Hmmm :confused:

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Come to think of it, even though my computer wasn't taking in data, my last MBA would open on it's own and run when riding. Sometimes I'd get home and open up my rack bag and find the computer open about an inch and running. After discovering it bought a tight fitting case as a fix.

It was the HDD 80GB and is still working to this day.

23. jamesr242 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I just realized that I have the original 160 GB drive because I promptly upgraded mine to a 500. I think I'll just try it with that drive and if it fails, oh well. If it fails I will probably invest $80 or so in a cheap 32 GB SSD. What do you think?

FYI all of this will be running in Windows XP because of course the software isn't available for mac. This device runs off a freakin serial port!!!!:eek: I guess I gotta get an adapter for that too:p

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Let me guess.... Power Commander?

25. jamesr242 thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Tuning a carb here. Thats a fuel injection controller ;)

Its an Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband O2 Controller/Meter