Old 15 vs new 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricAvalanche, Feb 24, 2011.

1. EricAvalanche macrumors newbie

So considering I've been needing a laptop for a few months now (been using my mom's compaq...it's dreadful) and been waiting for the new release for a while.

If I were to buy the new 13" MBP, it'd be the base model.
    If I were to buy the old 15" MBP, it'd be the 2.4 i5 model.

Are there any benefits of one over the other? They seem generally similar. Which GPU is better? I just know the new 13" has Thunderbolt and sandy bridge processors? Is there a difference in the processors? They're both 2.4(ish) i5's. Geekbench scores?

I'm a graphic design student so I will be working with adobe software (photoshop/illustrator/indesign etc) so the screen size increase is a definite plus. I'm leaning towards the 15" since it'd only be about 100 more dollars. But would I be missing out on anything? I can't spend much more than that otherwise I'd just get a new 15"...money is pretty tight.

Thanks for any future inputs!

2. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

The gpu on the old is MUCH better then the intel 3000 hd.

the gt330 is discrete gpu, while the 13 only has a integrated chip, and its bad.

you wont notice much in the cpu deparment, due to the hdd. It bottlenecks the system. Opening programs doesnt require much power, but it uses the hdd. I would easily get the 15".

The 13 is fairly limited

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I'd go with the 'old' 15" Especially with the great deals now like $1,270 for a refurb from Apple with 'same as new' warranty' or a brand new one for only $1549 from B&H and no tax

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Well, I'm a geek when it comes to technology, and after seeing the Thunderbolt concept, I'm hooked on it. It may not have any real world use for a while, but just the concept is exciting. I'm also the type of person to get whatever is new at the time. If it were me, I'd go with the new 13" (that's the one I would get if I wanted to get a Macbook Pro right now). If you want a bigger screen size, go with the 15". I think both will be fine for graphic design.

Either way, they're both great computers and you can't go wrong with either one (especially after using a Compaq).

5. EricAvalanche thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I definitely like new things as well! Thunderbolt sounds pretty interesting especially over usb 2.0. It'll only be a matter of time before everythings compatible with it but i think i prefer screen size over it. It all depends on my university. They havent received the new mbps yet so the prices for the old ones are still the same. Cause the refurbished 15 compared to the new 13 (after edu discount) is 170 difference. But if the ending price is the same, im gonnaget the "refurbished" 15 inch. I was just worried there was something i was overlooking. Like better camera/gpu or something.

Also, is the processors the same? What was with the sandy bridge hype? Are they just a code name for quadcore? Cause theyre both i5 with a .1 difference.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I also believe I read that all the new Macbook Pros have an high definition Face Time camera. So you would also be losing out on that with the old 15".

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You only lose out by not having something that you would use. I'd save money and get a refurb 15" but that me. I know there is nothing about the latest models that would make a tangible difference for what I use my computer for. Firewire 800 may not be as fast but updating my backups only takes a few minutes and Thunderbolt connects wouldn't fit anything I current have so I am in no rush.

8. EricAvalanche thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that as well...I do plan on using my camera quite a bit. Is it a noticeable difference? Id probably mainly use it to take videos or the occasional picture.

9. EricAvalanche thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I had made my decision but the geekbench scores really range. By like 1000. Are the processors that different despite both being i5 dual core processors? Is sandy bridge that much more powerful? What do thet take into consideration for tests?

If the 13 inch is more powerful and scores a better score, I dont see why id spend more money on a "weaker" laptop.

10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Its only "weaker" if you need the extra power. There are tradeoffs to either. Sandy bridge vs. discrete graphics. I went with a perfectly capable dual core i5 and discrete graphics because I wanted the graphics power when I need it. I know I don't need quad cores. For me going from c2d to dual i5 is going to be a heck of an upgrade in itself.