Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I stupidly bought a used 4K Apple TV 64GB for $150 2 months back after giving up on new ATV rumors. This new box was rumored for so long, I gave up. The only appealing feature to me is the new one supports Thread. I use my ATV a few times a month, but maybe I should throw it back in eBay. If I can then get the new Apple TV for under $100 after selling the old one, then that’s cheaper than a HomePod mini/$99 thread extender.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I bought the 4K last year when I also purchased a new TV. I am upgrading the remote, but I just don't really see the need to upgrade the Apple TV itself.

I did wish the Software changed or got better though. I think the thing I hate the most is how app updating works on the OS. It doesn't seem like Apps on Apple TV update that much, even if they should (Like MLB).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
No it isn't. At least there is no hardware decoder.
That's why the A12 in the AppleTV is a disappointment.
To be fair, CPU Monkey is not very accurate. For instance, A12 was shipped without VP9 decoder. Apple later turned on the capability via tvOS update. The same could happen with AV1 or other codecs. It also claims A14 can decode AV1 via hardware, which just isn't true. It's entirely possible that given Apple TV 4Ks have a fan, A12 is entirely possible of decoding other codecs. Or not.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
As a owner of the 1st gen ATV 4K, I have no plans to upgrade to the 2nd gen model. I did, however, pre-order the new Siri remote though.

FiliusDei

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2021
Lima, Perú
Agreed. While I am glad Apple TV is updated and remains in the line up, it's disappointing that the team did not push the product to become the best in its class.

Improving upscaling not only results in better viewing experience (if done right like NVIDIA SHIELD), it would also reduce (or eliminate with HDMI 2.1 Quick Media Switching) the blank screen as you play lower resolution contents.

A12 certainly has the headroom to improve upscaling. With WWDC only weeks away, maybe? I would be disappointed if tvOS 15 fails to add:
  • Support for HomePod mini as permanent default speakers, ideally with some virtual surround sound processing.
  • Spatial Audio with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max (just the surround sound sans dynamic head tracking), especially with rumors of Apple Music Hi-Fi with some contents in Dolby Atmos.
  • Option to render games at 1080p or 1440p, upscaled to 4K (like Xbox Series S). This should greatly improve the frame rate.
Bonus points for:
  • Expand Color Balance with guidance for adjusting contrast and brightness.
  • If A12 is capable, AV1 and/or VVC (H.266) codecs.
  • Lossless audio passthrough.
heck yeah! I still don't know how apple doesn't offer support for spatial audio on the Apple TV 4K, I mean, it would only be with the "pro" headphones with customers already spend a lot of $$$, and just want to kick back on the living or bed room with ANC away from the world and just enjoying a movie.

i will hate to think that apple is waiting for some stupid event or sale pitch or new F* ing product or service

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Oddly specific question: do either of these support Dolby Digital on the 2016 LG OLEDs? These are the ones with the original hardware version of Dolby Digital.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
What's the advantage of having a 4K Apple TV if my 4K TV has the Apple TV app? The only thing I can think of is you have to have the Apple TV hardware to have the screensavers. What else am I missing out on by just using the app on my TV?
One screen on all your TVs.
4 Apple TV’s have the same interface.
When my wife goes from the pergola to the living room, bedroom or office it’s all the same regardless of the tv.
To me that is priceless.

Reactions: Daniel L

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
One screen on all your TVs.
4 Apple TV’s have the same interface.
When my wife goes from the pergola to the living room, bedroom or office it’s all the same regardless of the tv.
To me that is priceless.
I can see that. We just have one TV in the living room. I never liked the multi-TV idea as it encourages too much TV time, especially when people just have it on and don't watch...can't stand that. (don't have kids)

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Don't get the old 4k version because it dosnt support youtube tv 4k viewing. It does not support Googles latest codec

Theryesider

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2020
Glasgow
For all those losing their remote, my Sony TV remote for some reason works with my 4K 1st gen, have never paired it just works ? for some reason.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
What's the advantage of having a 4K Apple TV if my 4K TV has the Apple TV app? The only thing I can think of is you have to have the Apple TV hardware to have the screensavers. What else am I missing out on by just using the app on my TV?
1) Streaming quality.
The streaming picture quality through your built in Apple TV app is lower quality than through a dedicated Apple TV 4K unit.

2) Siri remote. Not sure if your TV remote has voice control that works with the Apple TV app. But with the Siri remote you can just speak to “Rewind 20 seconds”, “Turn on English subtitles”, “Fast Forward 5 minutes” etc.

MicroRay

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Your article references the ability to support ARC and eARC, however, the solution your proposed seems unlikely. You mentioned that you would feed the Apple TV 4K from the TV and then go from the Apple TV to the soundbar, or other audio device (sound bar or receiver).

There’s a problem here…what you’re proposing seems to require 3 HDMI input/outputs.
  • Original HDMI feed from Apple TV to TV for video
  • HDMI feed from TV to Apple TV for the ARC or eARC to support from other devices (Cable Box, TiVo, etc.)
  • Finally, the HDMI feed from Apple TV to the audio device (sound bar or receiver)
The Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen only has 1 HDMI input/output.

Am I missing something ?

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I found out it’s not waterproof after accidentally dropping some booze on the remote , while slightly tipsy I stupidly decided to wash it under the tap . Nice one . 55 quid quite literally down the drain …

• Wow
Reactions: aarond12

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
If your kids play motion games (e.g., Just Dance, Tennis) on your AppleTV (as mine do), the new remote DOES NOT SUPPORT MOTION CONTROLS. If that's a big deal for you (as it is with my family), get the older 4K model. I have been waiting 2 years for the Apple TV/Arcade model that never materialized, so I finally got an older 4K model on Black Friday sale for $99.

Reactions: George Dawes

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey guys, I finally got the new Apple TV 4k. The intent was to replace the aging Apple TV HD (4th Gen) in the bedroom I had owned since it was released within a year give or take. So, I've moved the 1st Gen 4K to the bedroom and the new 2nd Gen is in the living Room. Since the setup in the bedroom is currently 1080p, the 1st Gen was a perfect upgrade from the HD. It's faster, and it's a 64 GB vs 32 GB (which the HD was.)

I like both remotes, so I probably won't get a new remote for the 1st Gen. At least until I can compare them for a bit and really decide I like the new one over the old enough to buy a second new remote.

So, I've finally retired my 4th Gen Apple TV (which still works.) but has started to feel it's age more.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
For all those losing their remote, my Sony TV remote for some reason works with my 4K 1st gen, have never paired it just works ? for some reason.
Some TVs can control the ATV through HDMI. It's good as a backup in case you lose the remote but doesn't work as reliably as the real remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.