Old iPhone Accessory compatibility with the New iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheNewDude, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

So does anyone know if the old iPhone accessorries will work with the new iPhone 4??

iHome clock radios
    Sony 7" screen clock radio
    Bose Sound Docks
    etc
    etc

2. OOC macrumors member

Still has the same connecter on the bottom..I'd like to think so.

3. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I am curious on this as well. My 2g iPhone worked in most soud dock type units, but my 3g has not worked in most. I am hoping the 4 is more compatible. How can the 3g not work in th bose unit, crazy. Well I should ammend this, they worked, but they would never charge which was frustrating.

4. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the newer phones wouldn't charge on the older docks. It was a real pain!

Hopefully that's not the case here. The connectors on all the 4 iphones have been the same, doesn't mean they all work the same way.

Anyone have a more "technical" explanation?

5. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm pretty sure it's a software/driver limitation with each new iPhone (this has been the case with all iPods as well), that somewhere in the process of the new device something makes it incompatible with older peripherals that are designed with the previous generation of device in mind; I've always wondered if this is Apple trying to get people to buy newer peripherals, or if manufacturers just cannot predict what is going to 'change' in the newest devices.

I know there have been adaptors out there that allow you to bypass the "Not made for this accessory" error message, which leads to me to believe that it is entirely software/compatibility related.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Man, I hope the iPhone 4 works on the iHome. I would hate to have to buy another one.

7. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw a bunch of really nice iPod docks on sale at Winners today. Was very tempted to pick one of them up but without knowing for sure if it will work with the new iPhone i resisted the temptation....

They had some really nice iHome ones. Anywhere from $60 to $140 (the phone with the full phone integration one was awesome!)

8. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Apple is selling dock conversion pieces for old style docks. You get three for $9, and it sits inside the old style dock and allows you to dock the iPhone 4. It didnt specifically say it would work with everything, but mentioned "other iPhone compatible accessories with docks."

9. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Means there will be an issue.....

i guess i will just wait it out.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Or maybe they are targeted at first time buyers? I bought a set to be sure and will return them if the 4 fits into the 3GS docks.

11. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have a point, but there is a "maybe" involved in there. So better just wait it out in that case right??
    And who knows, with the newly designed iPhone, there might be some spiffier looking docks also coming out..... Just a thought.

12. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

So now that the new iPhone is out and about, has anyone tried it on there old docks?? Does it work?? Any issues?

13. GameraFan macrumors regular

I have an old 2g iPhone dock and it does work for my naked iPhone 4. It's charging and syncing.

However, there is no additional clearance so it doesn't appear as though it would work with a bumper or any case on.

14. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is your dock a music dock by any chance?
    Does it play music off the new iPhone (if it is a music dock that is)?

15. GameraFan macrumors regular

No, it's this one:

[​IMG]

16. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool... I really wanted to know if it works on a music dock....

17. GameraFan macrumors regular

Just tried our Altec Lansing inMotion im7. Got a message saying the im7 won't charge the iPhone 4 but it does play music.

[​IMG]

18. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

AFAIK it should work, i've got an Apple hifi that i lurve!!! but alas it doesnt charge anything apart from my 5.5gen iPod as firewire charging was removed from the dock connector.

19. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh well, good i didn't buy one of the old ones then.

I will wait for the new iPhone 4 compatible ones to come out now.

20. GameraFan macrumors regular

Adding a bumper to the phone makes it too wide for the 2g dock or the Altec Lansing im7.

21. fjordschritt macrumors member

Hi

Can i take my iPhone 3G Dock, not the Universal Dock, for my iPhone 4?

I think, i have to buy a new iPhone Dock, especially for iPhone 4.

Thx

22. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Editing this because I played around with it a little more, and managed to get it to work. I have the Sony CS10iPBLK clock radio, and it will charge my i4 & the radio & remote work just fine. It just depends on the angle, since I can't find the regular dock connector & need to wait for the others to come in.

23. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Here's why newer iPod/iPhone models will not charge in older (and some current) aftermarket boom boxes, radios and other accessories..

When Apple originally introduced the first iPod with a Dock Connector, they included two different charging specs. Pins #19 & #20 of the dock connector were reserved for +12 volt charging, which is the voltage from a Firewire port. Pin #23 of the dock connector was reserved for +5 volt charging, which is the voltage from a USB port.

The earliest dock connector iPods and the first iPhone supported BOTH Firewire and USB charging. But with the introduction of the iPhone 3G (and most of the iPod models introduced after the introduction of the iPhone 3G), Apple decided to drop support for Firewire charging. So, in those models, Pins #19 & #20 are not used. The only way to charge an iPhone and (most) iPods made since mid-2008 is via pin #23, which is USB +5 volt.

Unfortunately, MANY aftermarket manufacturers of boom boxes, radios, car adapters and other power accessories chose to go the Firewire +12 volt charging route to pin #19 or #20. That made particular good sense in the case of products for the car, because a car is already +12 volts. So, these products simply won't charge iPhones and (most) iPods made since mid-2008. And, sadly, some manufacturers CONTINUE to make products that charge via the Firewire pins.

Now, In the case of the iPod, I keep saying (most) because there is an exception. The iPod Classic still supports BOTH Firewire 12v and USB 5v charging. But it's the only iPod model that does.

For anyone interested, here is the pinout table for the dock connector:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Mark

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

There are adapters that can convert older Firewire power supplies to work with the newer devices, but they're slightly bulky. I use one in my car.

25. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

[​IMG]

The Sony ICF-CL75iP works great with iPhone 4... Charges & plays perfect! Also, the Sony comes with a dock adapter for the iPhone Original and the iPhone 4 fits really good. :D