Old Mac Pro (coffee can) or new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RickMo, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RickMo macrumors newbie

RickMo

I have a Late 2013 Mac Pro with 3 Ghtz 8 core Intel Xeon E5 processor. 32 gigs ram.
    AMD Firepro D500 graphics. This is the black, "coffee can" mode.
    I also use a 27in iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) - 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16 gigs ram.

Question is.... am I better off to sell the iMac and stick with this Mac Pro or buy a new iMac or iMac pro? I've always been a bit peeved at the lack of Apple support for the "world's greatest Mac", but if it's still better than the new iMac I suppose I should keep it. ??

I use Photoshop, After Effects, Final Cut and some Cinema 4D (beginner).

Suggestions appreciated.

2. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

You do know that Apple has promised a replacement for the MP6,1 (trash can, or "coffee can" as you described it)?

No useful info about what the MP7,1 may be - but there is some hope that at WWDC in June some specs may be discussed.

So, don't do anything until after WWDC - your options may change.

3. RickMo thread starter macrumors newbie

RickMo

Thanks. I remember hearing that sometime this past year, but nothing ever came of it. I spent $7500 on the Mac Pro set-up and then Apple just forgot about us. Not even a decent monitor - when they already had it sitting in every 27 in iMac. Too bad.

4. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

You can look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-mac-pro-7-1.1975126/page-482 - a thread on the MP7,1 (a lot of noise, because there have been no believable leaks). The link is to page 482, starting at page 1 would probably not be worth the effort.

You might also want to look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/who-is-the-mac-pro-going-to-be-for.2177532/page-17 - a newer, shorter thread without the old speculation in the other thread.

With both threads, however, note that Apple has said nothing about the MP7,1, and everything that you read is speculation.

5. RickMo thread starter macrumors newbie

RickMo

Will do. Thanks. I've been doing almost everything on my iMac for quite a while. I'm guessing I could get by just fine with a new iMac - even without the iMac pro.